Christianity - Big Business

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering today how Christians in the past decades and centuries managed without all the 'stuff' that is available today. Some of them didn't even have bibles but as well as bibles, devotionals of al kinds and some good books, today you can buy calendars, notebooks, pens, jewellery, CDs, DVDs, shopping bags, ornaments, car stickers etc. etc. etc..

Does all this 'stuff' detract from the true message or does it enhance it? There seems to be so much of it readily available in Christian bookshops in most towns or online. And yet most of that 'great cloud of witnesses' never had such things and seemed to be stronger than a lot of us are today.

Reactions: Truman and amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does all this 'stuff' detract from the true message or does it enhance it?
What is generally stocked in Christian bookstores today definitely detracts from Gospel Truth and Bible Truth. Which is very unfortunate.

However, what is online is entirely up to you. There is both truth and error on the Internet, so unless you are able to discern the true from the false, and separate the chaff from the wheat, you can be led astray.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What is generally stocked in Christian bookstores today definitely detracts from Gospel Truth and Bible Truth. Which is very unfortunate.

However, what is online is entirely up to you. There is both truth and error on the Internet, so unless you are able to discern the true from the false, and separate the chaff from the wheat, you can be led astray.
We have a really good independent Christian bookshop in our town but I don't believe that it's books detract from the truth of either the bible or the Gospel. Some of it's other stuff I'm not so sure of though. I do have a shopping bag with a bible verse on it that I bought from Our Daily Bread online.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was wondering today how Christians in the past decades and centuries managed without all the 'stuff' that is available today. Some of them didn't even have bibles but as well as bibles, devotionals of al kinds and some good books, today you can buy calendars, notebooks, pens, jewellery, CDs, DVDs, shopping bags, ornaments, car stickers etc. etc. etc..

Does all this 'stuff' detract from the true message or does it enhance it? There seems to be so much of it readily available in Christian bookshops in most towns or online. And yet most of that 'great cloud of witnesses' never had such things and seemed to be stronger than a lot of us are today.
Good question. Having so many Bibles only detracts from the true message if we don't actually read and study them. Unfortunately, the scriptures don't enter our minds through osmosis, lol.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Good question. Having so many Bibles only detracts from the true message if we don't actually read and study them. Unfortunately, the scriptures don't enter our minds through osmosis, lol.
I wasn't really meaning bibles, although even our bibles can detract from our relationship with God, but what about the other 'stuff'? We do not need Christian pens, notebooks, shopping bags, coasters etc. but the manufacture and sale of them is big business.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't really meaning bibles, although even our bibles can detract from our relationship with God, but what about the other 'stuff'? We do not need Christian pens, notebooks, shopping bags, coasters etc. but the manufacture and sale of them is big business.

I guess anything can detract from our walk with the Lord. Yes, these things included, if we focus on them instead of Him.

I think ministry in general has become big business, but it shouldn't be. This verse comes to mind:

2 Cor 2:14-17--But thanks be to God, who always puts us on display in Christ and through us spreads the aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For to God we are the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. To some we are an aroma of death leading to death, but to others, an aroma of life leading to life. And who is competent for this? For we are not like the many who market God’s message for profit. On the contrary, we speak with sincerity in Christ, as from God and before God.

Reactions: Pearl

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good point / post..
---
I remember the first 'Christian book store'.. in the area where I lived.
- Near university campus... in 1970's.
----
It was a small, old 'two story house.'
Downstairs: store.. 'Christian literature & Bibles only.'
---
Upstairs: Reading/study room & kitchen.
- Library.
- Place for fellowship.
---
You cannot find 'Christian book store' like that...nowadays.

Reactions: Pearl

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good point / post..
---
I remember the first 'Christian book store'.. in the area where I lived.
- Near university campus... in 1970's.
----
It was a small, old 'two story house.'
Downstairs: store.. 'Christian literature & Bibles only.'
---
Upstairs: Reading/study room & kitchen.
- Library.
- Place for fellowship.
---
You cannot find 'Christian book store' like that...nowadays.
Hi. I think that having so much handed to us for which we never had to seek has made us soft and complacent. Why do the hard work of seeking God when all we have to do is turn on Youtube. Others tell us what to think, say, and do. The problem is that when we don't get the truth straight from God, we run the risk of allowing deception to enter our hearts. Even the most timely and anointed speakers can and do make mental errors, not to mention the wolves. Ask the Lord for discernment if you don't already have it. And finally, think for yourself. I'll say it again, think for yourself. Shalom.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi. I think that having so much handed to us for which we never had to seek has made us soft and complacent. Why do the hard work of seeking God when all we have to do is turn on Youtube. Others tell us what to think, say, and do. The problem is that when we don't get the truth straight from God, we run the risk of allowing deception to enter our hearts. Even the most timely and anointed speakers can and do make mental errors, not to mention the wolves. Ask the Lord for discernment if you don't already have it. And finally, think for yourself. I'll say it again, think for yourself. Shalom.
??
Are you sure you are responding to my post?
---
Title of thread is 'Christianity..Big Business.'
My post has to do with that topic.
---
I shared my experience..in the early days of 'Christian Book store.' ..in 1970's.
- Christian Book Stores became 'another business'..over the years.
- That is the focus/point of my post.
--
I have been observing Christian Book stores..50 years.
- Changes..
- OP mentioned about Christian bookshop/store.

Blessings,