Christianity in the Vatican

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have never been to the Vatican, but assume some of our members have here and probably is worth the visit one day, it is no doubt a big part of Christian Church history.

So what are the good things you have seen and heard of in the Vatican?

images

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never been to the Vatican, but assume some of our members have here and probably is worth the visit one day, it is no doubt a big part of Christian Church history.

images
Can you even imagine being in the City where Peter/Paul walked and taught?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I have been to Rome and to the Vatican three times.
The first was with a tour company; the other two we just went on our own.

St. Peter's is huge and magnificent. Just inside, in a side chapel, is Michaelangelo's Pieta. It's very moving. I just stood there and looked for a long time.

Twice we went into the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel. The second time was soon after a lot of restoration work had been done in the chapel. That also is amazing.

Reactions: Marymog and Josho

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

images

My brother and grandmother and I went to Italy when I was 12 years old. All I remember is the hugeness of it all, I didn't understand anything and nobody explained anything. But I was there!!! Lol.

Reactions: Marymog and Josho

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No but it's something id like to do one day.

Aside from the Vatican there are heaps of beautiful churches scattered all over Europe

Indeed - and even in Rome itself.
Apart from St. Peter's there are three other Basilica's well worth a visit if you have time:
St. John Lateran (this is the Pope's Church as Bishop of Rome).
St. Mary Major
St. Paul's Outside The Walls

In the last one there is a portrait of each Pope in a roundel. It is said that when there is no more space it will be the last Pope. I can't remember bhow much space there is left. It's a good story for tourists.

Reactions: Josho

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hi Josho,

Ive never had the pleasure, and am unlikely to unless the Lord provides a way..

I have however been to St Josephs Oratory in Montreal: Google Image Result for https://www.tripsavvy.com/thmb/ncLZOlrGYTkfWoUPe_0DpT_Y4qE=/2496x1896/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/montreal-oratory-st-joseph-oratoire-leo-gonzales-56a63eed5f9b58b7d0e0a7bc.jpg

Which began as a small chapel built by a humble monk named Br. Andre in 1904. His tomb now lies within the basillica.

The central stairs you see are reserved for penitents who wish to climb the 99 steps on their knees...

Peace!

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Josho,
I was there..some time ago.
- Short visit.
---
Interesting to note:
It is an independent city-state.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My wife and I have been to Rome and to the Vatican three times.
The first was with a tour company; the other two we just went on our own.

St. Peter's is huge and magnificent. Just inside, in a side chapel, is Michaelangelo's Pieta. It's very moving. I just stood there and looked for a long time.

Twice we went into the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel. The second time was soon after a lot of restoration work had been done in the chapel. That also is amazing.

Sure is a lot closer for you to fly there from England compared to me from Australia. :D

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can you even imagine being in the City where Peter/Paul walked and taught?
A visit to Jerusalem would be more in line with that, and you could also include Jesus of Nazareth, and the other apostles. Jerusalem will still be there when Rome disappears.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A visit to Jerusalem would be more in line with that, and you could also include Jesus of Nazareth, and the other apostles. Jerusalem will still be there when Rome disappears.
The original question was: Have any of you ever been to Vatican City?

Sooooo even though I appreciate your sarcastic (IMO) input...."Jerusalem" has nothing to do with the original question.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There were so many things that gave me chills - like the Church of St. Peter in Chains (San Pietro in Vincoli). The chains which fell from his wrists when he was imprisoned by Herod (Acts 2:3-19) are on display in the church - as is Michaelangelo's sculpture of Moses.
spiv-catene-da-m10.jpg
spiv-mose-medio-no-flash-da-m10.jpg

I actually welled-up with tears as I ascended the Holy Stairs (Church of the Holy Stairs) on my knees.
These are the very same steps that Christ ascended in the Praetorium of Pontius Pilate - that were moved from Jerusalem to Rome.
BasilicaoftheHolyStairsRome.png