Christianity Today Betrays the Truth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here is an expose of the false narrative printed in Christianity Today. Looks like they have joined the Fake News crowd.

December 21, 2019
Christianity Today Betrays the Truth
By Bill Thomas

In a December 19, 2019 editorial, Mark Galli, the editor-in-chief of Christianity Today, opines that President Trump should be “removed from office.” This conclusion by Christianity Today’s editorial board is disheartening and, in profound ways, does a disservice both to the Christian community and the nation as a whole.

Let’s be clear from the beginning. One does not have to support President Trump or the Republican party to be a Christian. One does not have to be an American to be a Christian. These truths ought to go without saying, but I think they need to be stated. Why? Because the truth matters. This editorial position is wrong, not because it is anti-Trump, but because it is anti-truth.

In the editorial, Galli acknowledges, “The Democrats have had it out for him from day one, and therefore nearly everything they do is under a cloud of partisan suspicion. This has led many to suspect not only motives but facts in these recent impeachment hearings. And, no, Mr. Trump did not have a serious opportunity to offer his side of the story in the House hearings on impeachment.”

These facts, cited by Galli, ought to matter. Yes, there is good reason to seriously doubt anything the Democrats throw up against this president and his administration. Yes, their motives may certainly be questioned. Furthermore, there wasn’t due process during any part of the so-called “hearings.” Galli acknowledges these truths. However, it’s at this point, that he and the editorial board abandon the truth.

The next line in the editorial shows CT’s betrayal of truth. Galli writes, “But the facts in this instance are unambiguous: The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral.”

No, Mr. Galli, that is not a fact. Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky has said there was no blackmail involved during a telephone call with President Trump. The Ukrainian president himself denied there was a “quid pro quo.” Furthermore, there is no evidence that President Trump sought to have the Ukraine harass or discredit Joe Biden. In fact, Zelensky has gone on record asserting the opposite. He says he was not pressured to investigate the Biden family during their now-controversial phone call over the summer and, when asked about it replied, “Nobody pushed me.” [Note: The actual transcript was made public by the President]

Again, you don’t have to like the president or agree with this defense, but to assert that the facts are “unambiguous” is a lie.

In the next paragraph, Galli launches into a personal attack against the president. He’s certainly entitled to his opinion, as is the editorial board of CT. He then notes that much of the evangelical world supports what the president has done regarding the Supreme Court, the economy, and religious liberty.

His next two lines, once again, show CT’s abandonment of truth. “We believe the impeachment hearings have made it absolutely clear, in a way the Mueller investigation did not, that President Trump has abused his authority for personal gain and betrayed his constitutional oath. The impeachment hearings have illuminated the president’s moral deficiencies for all to see.”

Unless you just accept the Democrat talking points line for line, these two statements make no sense. The Mueller investigation revealed nothing because there was nothing to reveal. The impeachment hearings revealed moral deficiencies, but not of the president. [Note: The Mueller Witch Hunt was totally bogus]

Galli attempts to justify this editorial based on what CT wrote about Bill Clinton in 1998. The key phrase written in the 1998 CT editorial is “live by the law.” What law, Mr. Galli, did President Trump break? He doesn’t address it, because he can’t. There were no laws broken.

Galli then self-righteously derides evangelicals who support Trump and bemoans how anyone who claims to live for the gospel can support such a person. And, with that, elitism rears its head in evangelical Christianity.

Here’s the bottom line. Galli and the editorial board of CT can support whomever they want. As Christian Americans, we can, too. To not like President Trump is their right. To write about it in their magazine is their prerogative. It is also our prerogative to not like what they write. It is obvious that CT has abandoned the truth in an attempt to curry favor with the elitist left. They do so under a guise of winning them to the Gospel, but with what? The Gospel is based on truth. This editorial is not. It betrays the truth for popularity. Perhaps Galli and the members of the CT editorial board can go to their Christmas parties proud of how they told off the ignorant evangelicals. I don’t know. I don’t know what is gained by this foray into political spin, but somewhere a rooster must be crowing.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/12/christianity_today_betrays_the_truth.html

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh, @Enoch111 , good. I was going to start a thread to ask people here about this, but as you've already got one up, we'll go with that. I do see you're not American, and I was hoping for some of their input, so hopefully some will come along, but I suppose America is so central to world politics that 'outsiders' can't help but have a bit of an input as well.
I have to preface all this by saying that I don't really know the US political system very well, nor do I have any intimate understanding of what American citizens expect in their President.
But having said that, and in the face of the CT article that raised such animosity, sadly, between even Christians, in regards to Trump, I just have to ask some things.
Like: Is Trump, as President, supposed to uphold and meet the expectations of Pastor/teacher? Scripture clearly teaches there are moral expectations for Pastors and Elders within a church. However, it's my belief that Trump is not pretending to BE a Pastor or Elder. He's the President of a Nation. And as such, why should Evangelicals look at that position in any different light than they have before? In other words, "let's vote for the Candidate each Party has put forth that best supports the values that we, ourselves, as Christians, support."
In that regard, it doesn't matter if Trump is, as some speculate, a Christian or not. If he supports 'pro-life' truly, or if he only does it for the Evangelical vote. He still supports it, and the Democrats, as a whole, support sucking a child's brains out up until the moment of birth. Forgive me; that's a no-brainer.
I don't really like Trump, personally. He seems to be a narcissistic sort of person. But as a 'politician', we need to consider, I believe, the sort of claims being made by both sides. Trump is being accused of dishonesty, of corruption, of obstruction. The problem is, however, those accusing him of these things, while making a huge noise, still haven't dug up any proof. The mainstream media abounds with headlines, but anyone willing to spend even five minutes 'fact-checking', can see what they accuse him of is flat out lies. In fact, as far as campaign promises go, I think Trump might be the first 'politician' I have EVER witnesses to have fulfilled any of his promises. In the other corner, however, the Democrats lie like pigs in mud, and don't even seem to care that it's so easy to spot its embarrassing. They accuse Trump of obstruction, but then refuse a just hearing for impeachment, and then also refuse to send those articles along! What is THAT if not obstruction? Warren lies almost every time she opens her mouth...she's Native American, her children go to public schools. Bernie Sanders preaches that we need to hate rich people, and yet he's swimming in millions and underpaying his campaign people, all the while promising that the pleasures of Venezuela await! AOC cries in parking lots so she can make the other team look like meanie pants and the whole lot of them are raging anti-Semites.

Now, I know a lot of people have claimed that it is invalid to say that voting for Trump is "the lesser of two evils". The problem with that is that if the Church as a whole chooses not to vote for either side and just 'wash its hands' of it all, they are, in fact, picking sides. Think, for a moment, what would have happened in 2016 if the Evangelicals hadn't come out to vote for Trump. Hilary would have won and we would now be in the last year of increased abortions, tightened restrictions of religious freedoms and who knows what in regards to overseas policy. Oh...and America would probably be one step away from being a communist country. It does matter; "all it takes for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.".

I think that Trump is not America's Pastor. They are not electing him to lead them forward from a pulpit. He is their Commander in Chief and his responsibilities are to keep them safe, militarily, and solvent, financially. The Evangelicals don't need to love him and idolize him like they would Billy Graham. They need to pray for him as their leader and they need to be pleased they have his support on many of the issues that are important to them.
And that's my take on the whole thing. Not that that means a single thing, but there it is!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And I thought this was about christianity.... Whats christianity got to do with politics.

Well...that was essentially my question. Why are Christians insisting that the President MUST hold to the morality of a Pastor? I mean...I'm not American, so maybe there's something there that says that the President should. But...he's not ordained. And most Presidents, to my knowledge, don't pretend to be a Pastor (eh, gads...Bill Clinton?)
So...I suppose I just don't understand why suddenly so many Christians feel the need to judge that particular office as they would the person who was to shepherd them.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well...that was essentially my question. Why are Christians insisting that the President MUST hold to the morality of a Pastor?

Because they do not believe in the transforming power of God and His Redemption.

God has done something miraculous with Donald Trump since he ascended the throne. He is no longer the person he used to be before he became President. He is a demonstration of God's ability to transform people.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Because they do not believe in the transforming power of God and His Redemption.

God has done something miraculous with Donald Trump since he ascended the throne. He is no longer the person he used to be before he became President. He is a demonstration of God's ability to transform people.
It's quite possible he has. I've head from people that I consider to be reputable, things that suggest he has some sort of faith. But, either way, it shouldn't matter. As Christians we need to realize that our leaders will seldom be Christian. We need to pray for them regardless, and urge them towards moral policies as we know they will be in the best interest of mankind in general. The fact that Trump supports many policies that are pro-Christian and the democrats are against them, ought to be enough to end the argument, I would think, without the character of the President coming into it at all. I'm not saying character is unimportant, it is, but I think there is a reason that eventually church and state parted ways. People who rule must make choices and compromises that cannot live up to God's standards. Trump is far...far from a perfect man. But when we consider both the character and policies of the alternative? I cannot be easy with that idea. I cannot be easy with the idea of Christians supporting people who promote the willful murder of children, who lie so egregiously. Who accuse their opponent of something all the while doing the very same thing themselves, expecting the world at large to be too stupid to notice their hypocrisy. Trump might be a little ham-handed with how he says things, and goodness knows he excels in trolling his opponents...but despite what the media accuse him of, I think he's been fairly honest about his policies and his plans.

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In some ways Trump has been a bad president but Hillary Clinton would have been even worse. Has everyone forgotten that she supports abortion? Murdering unborn children is worse than anything Trump has been accused of.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh your back. Happy new year.
Thank you....Happy new year to you. :) How was your Christmas? Did you get some nice gifts?

I am glad I had the opportunity to show you that, according to Scripture, Christianity has a lot to do with politics.

Bible study Mary