Christians and culture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How much cultural engagement is appropriate for Christians? The answer to this question depends to some extent on the culture (both inside and outside the Church). A century ago, many churches in the West frowned upon activities that today would be considered pretty innocuous (at least in the UK): drinking alcohol, dancing, going to the cinema, wearing make-up… These issues no longer seem contentious, but others have taken their place. Should Christians read the Harry Potter books? Should Christian couples use contraception? Should churches engage with social media such as Facebook and Twitter? Should we celebrate Hallowe’en?

The Bible is virtually silent on such matters, and consequently there is little or no consensus; sincere believers are to be found on both sides of every argument. At one extreme, some Christians are so ‘engaged’ with contemporary society that they are indistinguishable from unbelievers; at the other, Christians are hunkering down in church bunkers, committed to a ‘ghetto’ mentality that paralyses their witness. Surely the ideal position is somewhere in the middle - but that still leaves a lot of scope for variation.

We need to discuss these issues, but I think we should be wary of criticising those who disagree with us. We can only go by what the apostle Paul says: “Each should be fully convinced in their own mind.” (Romans 14:5) Whatever we have decided to do, we must be able to justify it before God. We must be able to do it with a clear conscience, for “everything that does not come from faith is sin.” (Romans 14:23) And our actions (or inactions) must be honouring to God (I Corinthians 10:31)

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deborah_ said:
How much cultural engagement is appropriate for Christians? The answer to this question depends to some extent on the culture (both inside and outside the Church). A century ago, many churches in the West frowned upon activities that today would be considered pretty innocuous (at least in the UK): drinking alcohol, dancing, going to the cinema, wearing make-up… These issues no longer seem contentious, but others have taken their place. Should Christians read the Harry Potter books? Should Christian couples use contraception? Should churches engage with social media such as Facebook and Twitter? Should we celebrate Hallowe’en?

The Bible is virtually silent on such matters, and consequently there is little or no consensus; sincere believers are to be found on both sides of every argument. At one extreme, some Christians are so ‘engaged’ with contemporary society that they are indistinguishable from unbelievers; at the other, Christians are hunkering down in church bunkers, committed to a ‘ghetto’ mentality that paralyses their witness. Surely the ideal position is somewhere in the middle - but that still leaves a lot of scope for variation.

We need to discuss these issues, but I think we should be wary of criticising those who disagree with us. We can only go by what the apostle Paul says: “Each should be fully convinced in their own mind.” (Romans 14:5) Whatever we have decided to do, we must be able to justify it before God. We must be able to do it with a clear conscience, for “everything that does not come from faith is sin.” (Romans 14:23) And our actions (or inactions) must be honouring to God (I Corinthians 10:31)
What I have highlighted in bold, in black, not blue... Is a complete misinterpretation of those verses.... Just in case you were wondering...

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Born_Again said:
What I have highlighted in bold, in black, not blue... Is a complete misinterpretation of those verses.... Just in case you were wondering...
So what do you think is the right interpretation?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Deborah_ said:

And a century from now, we will smirk at how silly those old timers were, worrying about such innocuous issues as Harry Potter books, or contraceptives, or social media, or Hallowe'en.
And rightly so...

Let us, then, concern ourselves with weightier matters...such as Mercy, and Love...

RLeighB96

Oct 8, 2015
Every Christian is different. Some Christians believe that anything not "holy" is evil. However, all these things you mentioned (a book, movies, Facebook and Twitter) those were all created by people who had talent. God gave them talent. God gave everyone a talent to help us as humans to exceed.
As for your question, "How much culture engagement is appropriate for Christians?" Honestly, I believe the answer depends on the Christian. Other things you mentioned, like drinking, and Harry Potter can be explained. Drinking and dancing are definitely in the Bible. However, twerking is not. That's not an appropriate dance for anyone to be doing in my opinion.

Drinking alcohol in moderation is ok. I mean, Jesus's first miracle was turning water into wine (John 2:1-11). Later in the Bible, Paul warned believers against drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18), and declares that deacons should not be "addicted to much wine" (1 Timothy 3:8). He counseled Titus that the older women should not be "slaves to drink" (Titus 2:3). So yes, a little in moderation is ok, but drinking to get drunk is not.
Dancing is not a sin. It is ok for everyone to dance and sing if it is unto the Lord. That's why when you go into churches they're dancing and singing and praising to God. But nowhere in the Bible is it a sin to dance.
For a Christian, the question is not so much "is watching this movie a sin?" but "is this something that Jesus would want me to do?" The Bible tells us that many things are permitted, but not all things are beneficial or constructive (1 Corinthians 10:23). It also says that whatever we say or do (or watch) should be done to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31). We are to set our minds on things that are noble and pure (Philippians 4:8). If—and this is a big if—we can watch a movie or TV program that contains questionable content AND still be in agreement with these commands from the Bible, then it’s hard to see a wrong in this.
I also did research about the Harry Potter books, for giggles. Did you know that Christianity is what inspired J.K. Rowling to write the Harry Potter books in the first place? She told a reporter that it resembled her struggles in her faith. You can read that here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/fictionreviews/3668658/J-K-Rowling-Christianity-inspired-Harry-Potter.html
So this brings me to Halloween. No, I don't believe Christians should celebrate it. One, it's pagan, no Christian would ever come up with a festivity to celebrate evil. Halloween is not a holiday per say. The origin definition of holiday means "holy day" and Halloween is far from a holy day. The history of Halloween started with groups of people who say at bonfires with sheets over their heads to look like ghosts to scare away evil spirits. Doesn't sound very holy to me.
As for contraception, if we did not have women getting pregnant out of wedlock it wouldn't be in issue. Most Christians don't believe in contraception because they believe in waiting to have sex before marriage. Therefore it wasn't needed. But really, that's an issue between you and God. I believe in using contraception.
Now, I didn't post this to be rude or offensive to anyone. You did ask a very interesting question and I myself wanted answers. I thought I would share them with you. God bless.

iakov

Jan 17, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deborah_ said:

<<How much cultural engagement is appropriate for Christians?>>

About this much: Mat 28:19-20a Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you;

<<A century ago, many churches in the West frowned upon activities that today would be considered pretty innocuous (at least in the UK): drinking alcohol, dancing, going to the cinema, wearing make-up… >>

All the activities you listed are window dressing.
Alcohol: the Bible tells us not to be a drunkard.
Dancing: David danced before the Ark of the Covenant as it was brought into Jerusalem and made a fool of himself in doing so.
Cinema: There are good films and garbage; we are to use discretion.
Make-up: If the barn needs painting then paint it but don't look like a whore. (Which is what Paul was telling the women of Corinth, IMO)

When Jesus comes to judge mankind, He will not judge according to those things. He will judge us according to whether we showed mercy or not because, as God's children, we are to be like our Father who was merciful and so loved the world...(Jn 3:16) HE won't care if we've had a drink or put on a bit of lipstick. (OK, if you're a man, no lipstick.)

How should we engage in society? We should overturn it and lead it from the worship of Mammon to the worship of God.
We do that when we "Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary use words."
We do that by showing them in our lives the way of peace and love.

To mankind, God's most important attributes are His love, mercy and faithfulness.

How do we engage society? Be like God.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
iakov said:
I don't disagree with becoming like Christ. However, Paul gave us another dimension in 1 Cor 9:19ff:
  • Become a servant of all, which means....
  • Becoming like a Jew;
  • Becoming like one under the law;
  • Becoming like one outside the law;
  • Becoming weak
And by extension, becoming like a postmodern to reach postmoderns.

Why did Paul do this? 'that I might win more of them' (9:19)

Oz

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
iakov said:

About this much: Mat 28:19-20a Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you;

<<A century ago, many churches in the West frowned upon activities that today would be considered pretty innocuous (at least in the UK): drinking alcohol, dancing, going to the cinema, wearing make-up… >>

Dancing: David danced before the Ark of the Covenant as it was brought into Jerusalem and made a fool of himself in doing so.
Make-up: If the barn needs painting then paint it but don't look like a whore.....

Why Iakov.... that was pretty good! That part about the barn is hilarious!

My compliments on a pretty good post!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
heretoeternity said:
Romans 12 Paul says "Do not conform to the world"....the "christian" community seems to have a tough time with this!
Thats a partial quote. He goes onto say, "but be transformed by the renewing of your mind". He goes on to elaborate.

There are other things to consider. John 17:15-16 say that jesus wasn't praying that we should be taken out of the world but overcome evil in it. Also that we are not of this world.

1 john 2:15 say we shouldn't love the world. Doesn't say don't be in the world.

There's a lot of others, and I don't mean to slight any other verses.

Then, of course there is grace, which forgives earthly sins.

The best I can say is that by no means should we become so entangled in the affairs of this world that we lose our sight and devotion to God. We are in this world and because presently we are bound by flesh, we are going to do some things of the world.

Remember Paul's words when he said all things are lawful, but not expedient, and we should not be brought under their power. (1 cor 6)

Also remember jesus saying seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things (food and rainment) will be added unto you.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
iakov said:

Make-up: If the barn needs painting then paint it but don't look like a whore. (Which is what Paul was telling the women of Corinth, IMO)
Today we see these things (rightly, I think) as superficialities - 'window dressing', as you put it. But a century ago, many Christians believed them to be much more important than that.

It makes you wonder what future generations will make of some of the 'issues' we see as being so important today.

hatedbyall

Mar 12, 2016
Deborah_ said:

The Bible is virtually silent on such matters, and consequently there is little or no consensus;
there IS consensus in the Church Christ founded, meaning we have a Church to interpret Scripture and to guide us when the Scriptures are not clear on some topic (stem cell research, etc)

I have some issues with the Catholic Church but doctrines and moral teachings are NOT one of them.

a good example is abortion. Is it ever moral to kill an innocent human being? that is the only Q we need to ask on that issue. If it is murder every time, regardless of the age of the child, then NO abortion is lawful in the eyes of God (so the father was a rapist?! the child is innocent)-- and the catholic Church is the only church left that teaches that, as far as i know. the Mennonites may still believe that way, but there are very few "Christian" churches that teach as the Catholic Church does. That's what happens when humans try to interpret the bible o/side the authority of the Church Christ founded

:(