Christians language.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To those of you who are on the older side.. :) ( or younger)

Do any of you find yourself shaking your head within yourselves when you hear 'christians' feely using bad language!

I know the churches of Mars Hill used to use the F word in their preaching...I heard some tapes. But I know it has stopped now.

What is this thing that - 'We must fit into the world and talk in langue that they understand and use? ' !!

I just can't see Jesus , Paul, Peter and the rest using the F-word in their preaching.
So WHY now????

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do any of you find yourself shaking your head within yourselves when you hear 'christians' feely using bad language!

I know the churches of Mars Hill used to use the F word in their preaching...I heard some tapes. But I know it has stopped now.

What is this thing that - 'We must fit into the world and talk in langue that they understand and use? ' !!

I just can't see Jesus , Paul, Peter and the rest using the F-word in their preaching.
So WHY now????
We don't know what might have gotten used. We do know Peter probably used whatever "cussing" was customary that night he denied Christ. And Paul may have been too educated to use their brand of cussing.

We do know the "F" word was not in use in those days.

Reactions: Hisman

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So WHY now????
Depends what you mean by "bad language". Seems to me it changes from culture to culture and generation to generation.

The Bible does use some "colorful" language at times: "but dung" (not the "s" word but said with the same intent) in Phillipeans 3:8... " Him that pisseth against a wall" in 1 Samuel 25:22, for example.

Personally, while grace covers it I try to keep swearing to a minimum. No reason other than I think its over used, usually unnecessary and usually in poor taste. But that's my opinion and how I govern myself.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree...foul language has now become the 'norm' in christian circles. :(

I see it like most thing 'modern-christian' = The spirit of gradualism.
It slipped into the christian life slowly, slowly...

My 'christian' grandchildren in their late twenties ..all use the F-word..I wince every time they do.
Sometimes when I have had enough I do say the cliche sentence. "Do you eat with that same mouth?"

I remember hearing Billy Graham saying about when he played golf with someone...he said to them.."strange I thought you had a good education, only people who don't know how to express themselves correctly have to degrade themselves with swear words "

Somehow I don't believe there will be swearing in heaven!!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

So WHY now????
Any use of profanities is out of order, in particular with those that identify as Christians.....even in worldly circles it is an indicator of immaturity and insecurity.
So you might say, well most everybody uses it even those that lead. I would say, you have a good indication of the state of things without seeing the news.

Last edited:

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Any use of profanities is out of order, in particular those that identify as Christians.....even in worldly circles it is an indicator of immaturity and insecurity.
So you might say, well most everybody uses it even those that lead. I would say, you have a good indication of the state of things without seeing the news.

Yes, very much agree with you. I like how you said it.
Thank you.

Reactions: Helen

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving." (Ephesians 5:3,4)

That says it all, really. Bad language is simply 'out of place' - inappropriate for the children of the King.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving." (Ephesians 5:3,4)

That says it all, really. Bad language is simply 'out of place' - inappropriate for the children of the King.

AMEN!!!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So imo what happens see is we end up using our own lexicon rather than theirs, and end up doing exactly the opposite of what Paul said he did, become like one of them. Usually get offended pretty early into the bargain too I guess? And definitely gotta write a list or something down, right, or I mean otherwise how can we all agree which terms are pc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So imo what happens see is we end up using our own lexicon rather than theirs, and end up doing exactly the opposite of what Paul said he did, become like one of them. Usually get offended pretty early into the bargain too I guess? And definitely gotta write a list or something down, right, or I mean otherwise how can we all agree which terms are pc
While I certainly understand your meaning, should not people [especially believers in God and His Son] born in later times than me not need to also try to not unnecessarily offend me?

My step father was a good man according to all that I knew of him, but his first language was Portuguese. He learned to speak English in the US Army in WWII and all of the profanity that was the norm during that time for him became his normal manner of speaking. I was a kid growing up in his home and I was never offended because by his use of adjectives which even today would offend many people. That is because I knew his heart and I knew when he was not be "profane" in spite of the actual words coming out of his mouth.

Back to me. Like @"ByGrace" I wince any time I am around someone who speaks like that. My children and grandchildren never have in front of me, but they love me and respect me. I am cannot say what they do outside my presence. By what I have seen [caught?] them watching and listening on television in their homes it would not surprise me that they used at times similar language..

I believe that when people who really love God begin to read the following verses with understanding they would strive to not offend me or other believers unnecessarily with words which have more commonly acceptable counterparts:

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." I Thess 5:22
"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil 2:3

"Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend." I Cor 8:13

There are many other verses that could apply, but as we know from this forum alone, believers do not agree on their meanings, but really... who are we to please but God? Do we please God when we make our brothers or sisters wince by the words we use?

Give God the glory!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So WHY now????

I would regard the F word as entirely out of place for believers to speak. Now that having been said, you would be surprised at just how graphic some of the language is in the OT, even some of the sayings attributed to God. Not really something I'd care to spell out for you, but scripture itself could be rather crude to say the very least. But I think the distaste most believers express for using foul language was reflected by Paul when he taught not to let any corrupt communication come out of our mouths but only that which is good for the use of edifying.

Last edited:
B

Butterfly

I use to swear a lot before I came to faith, it was all around me as I grew up. I kind of stopped without even thinking about it when I came to faith, guess that was one of the early changes within me. However if I get really angry, and I mean really angry about something, old words will come out of my mouth !!
My children and ex all use language that I do not like - I kind of learnt to just let it go over my head. It's not that I like it, agree with it, but when you are surrounded by it you have to find a way of dealing with it. Some would argue that it is not ignorance, or laziness, that infact many people are being real with how they express themselves. I heard a sermon once about the words that Christians use to express anger and frustration at times - we substitute ' okay ' words, but actually God knows what lies behind the expression !!
I cannot say I would be happy to hear swearing in preaching, or that I consider it something that Christians just do by choice and consider it okay- I find that a bit strange. However Its ingrained in cultures , so perhaps in certain places it's not considered wrong.
Never really considered it from scripture, just automatically presumed it was wrong for a Christian - one of those foundational things that was just there when I came to faith, I never heard any of the Christians around me swear !
Rita

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree...foul language has now become the 'norm' in christian circles. :(

I see it like most thing 'modern-christian' = The spirit of gradualism.
It slipped into the christian life slowly, slowly...

My 'christian' grandchildren in their late twenties ..all use the F-word..I wince every time they do.
Sometimes when I have had enough I do say the cliche sentence. "Do you eat with that same mouth?"

I remember hearing Billy Graham saying about when he played golf with someone...he said to them.."strange I thought you had a good education, only people who don't know how to express themselves correctly have to degrade themselves with swear words "

Somehow I don't believe there will be swearing in heaven!!

May I suggest if they use foul language in your precence you let them know that you do not want to hear that sort of language from Christians and if in your home tell them point blank not to use such language in your home.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

So WHY now????

We are to be salt and light to a world that is corupt.

If Christians are coping the world it is they who are being corupted.

D

Dave L

I believe all cussing is a symptom of hatred working itself to the surface. Also certain cussing alternatives come from the same place. "Judas Priest", "gar dam", "giving the finger", etc., etc.

I lectured a Boss once about the perils of taking the Lord's name in vain. So he started saying "Holy Smoke" instead. But he was still cussing.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’d thought for years that taking the Lords name in vain was saying GD. I have come to believe now that the taking of a vain gospel to others is what is being referenced. This is taking his name to others in vanity. Some examples would be god wants you to be the head not the tail, god wants you to be a millionaire, this is your best life now etc etc.

Reactions: Hisman and Dave L

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe all cussing is a symptom of hatred working itself to the surface. Also certain cussing alternatives come from the same place. "Judas Priest", "gar dam", "giving the finger", etc., etc.

I lectured a Boss once about the perils of taking the Lord's name in vain. So he started saying "Holy Smoke" instead. But he was still cussing.
What comes from our heart out of our mouth is the determinant, I would guess. We can take words that understood alone by almost anyone as being "clean" and make them by our purpose and meaning be profane before God. For example: "That person has no business being here!"

How difficult is it for a person to do the opposite thing? That is to take a word which is essentially filthy all alone and use it in a way that hurts no one at all? I won't attempt to provide an example but consider my step father as described on this thread in post #10.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I use to swear a lot before I came to faith, it was all around me as I grew up. I kind of stopped without even thinking about it when I came to faith, guess that was one of the early changes within me. However if I get really angry, and I mean really angry about something, old words will come out of my mouth !!
My children and ex all use language that I do not like - I kind of learnt to just let it go over my head. It's not that I like it, agree with it, but when you are surrounded by it you have to find a way of dealing with it. Some would argue that it is not ignorance, or laziness, that infact many people are being real with how they express themselves. I heard a sermon once about the words that Christians use to express anger and frustration at times - we substitute ' okay ' words, but actually God knows what lies behind the expression !!
I cannot say I would be happy to hear swearing in preaching, or that I consider it something that Christians just do by choice and consider it okay- I find that a bit strange. However Its ingrained in cultures , so perhaps in certain places it's not considered wrong.
Never really considered it from scripture, just automatically presumed it was wrong for a Christian - one of those foundational things that was just there when I came to faith, I never heard any of the Christians around me swear !
Rita
Interesting verse:

"For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to serve him with one consent." (Zephaniah 3.9)

Reactions: Dave L

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I’d thought for years that taking the Lords name in vain was saying GD. I have come to believe now that the taking of a vain gospel to others is what is being referenced. This is taking his name to others in vanity. Some examples would be god wants you to be the head not the tail, god wants you to be a millionaire, this is your best life now etc etc.
Like, including the television evangelist type of money making discourse for the credulous?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
May I suggest if they use foul language in your precence you let them know that you do not want to hear that sort of language from Christians and if in your home tell them point blank not to use such language in your home.

Haha! Yes indeed! That would be a good idea...but...been there, done that.

I have 4 'christian' adult grandkids. Two as far as I know...don't use such language. But the other two I have asked and asked...I have even got cross and said- " PLEASE , speak however you wish to speak in your own house, but do NOT use such language in MY house."

It doesn't work...one still does, so do I ask her not to come if she is going to talk like that..or do I stay in a relationship with her and such it up. It makes me sad.

Reactions: Hisman and Dave L