Christians who take God's Sabbath command seriously.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have not addressed the below statement for a while, please check my content on this issue, I don't know if anyone have checked this issue. Maybe on a different Forums site.
I will check it out and put it on this Forums Site.

Christians who take God's Sabbath command seriously often wonder how to keep the Sabbath as a Christian. What principles ... The Sabbath is a day when we pause from our normal labors and activities and rest for 24 hours on the seventh day of the week (from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday as the Bible counts time).

Here is one of them: Why Keep Shabbat? I’M Not A Jew!

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
so much that was labor in the OT is simply not anymore, that i notice this question gives Christians fits, ya. Obama even made Saturday "Small Business Day," or iow a curse on small businesses, as the rest of his policies illuminate, but anyway imo if you just even refrain from the consumption party on Saturday, that is a pretty big hill to climb right there i guess. Still felt like i was missing out for about a year or so lol. the benefits take a while to manifest, iow.

also, gardening might be a joy to you, but to me it is drudgery. for example

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@firstthings1st. I could 'tongue in cheek' ask what Sabbath? But I wont. Ha!
But, for sake of a discussion... ;)
Some today insist that Christians must keep the Sabbath day, and that those who worship on the first day of the week (Sunday) are in great error.
They reason that "Sun-day" comes from the pagan worship of the Sun god, that Jesus and Paul kept the Sabbath day as an example for us to follow, and that the Roman Catholic church is responsible for the change in the day of worship. Those who continue to worship on Sunday will receive the mark of the beast. Blah blah blah
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it" OT Exodus 20:8–11.
Sabbath-keepers worship on Saturday.... the word "Satur-day" comes from the Latin for "Saturn’s day," a pagan day of worship of the planet Saturn (astrology).
If a Christian’s salvation depends upon his keeping a certain day, surely God would have told us.
At one point, the apostles gathered specifically to discuss the relationship of believers to the Law of Moses. Acts 15:5–11, 24–29 was God’s opportunity to make His will clear to His children...saying, "Remember to keep the Sabbath holy," and millions of Christ-centered, God-loving, Bible-believing Christians would have gladly kept it. Instead, the only commands the apostles gave were to "abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication." o_O
There isn’t even one command in the New Testament for Christians to "keep the Sabbath" .
We are told though, "not to let others judge us regarding Sabbaths ...."(Colossian 2:16) ....
...and also "that man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath for man" Mark 2:27.

Jesus Himself is my Sabbath rest. I live in Him 7 days a week, not one small part of just one day a week.
But, you did ask ;)
This is just 'my' belief. Blessings...Helen.

Last edited:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@firstthings1st. I could 'tongue in cheek' ask what Sabbath? But I wont. Ha!
But, for sake of a discussion... ;)
Some today insist that Christians must keep the Sabbath day, and that those who worship on the first day of the week (Sunday) are in great error.
They reason that "Sun-day" comes from the pagan worship of the Sun god, that Jesus and Paul kept the Sabbath day as an example for us to follow, and that the Roman Catholic church is responsible for the change in the day of worship. Those who continue to worship on Sunday will receive the mark of the beast. Blah blah blah
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it" OT Exodus 20:8–11.
Sabbath-keepers worship on Saturday.... the word "Satur-day" comes from the Latin for "Saturn’s day," a pagan day of worship of the planet Saturn (astrology).
If a Christian’s salvation depends upon his keeping a certain day, surely God would have told us.
At one point, the apostles gathered specifically to discuss the relationship of believers to the Law of Moses. Acts 15:5–11, 24–29 was God’s opportunity to make His will clear to His children...saying, "Remember to keep the Sabbath holy," and millions of Christ-centered, God-loving, Bible-believing Christians would have gladly kept it. Instead, the only commands the apostles gave were to "abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication." o_O
There isn’t even one command in the New Testament for Christians to "keep the Sabbath" .
We are told though, "not to let others judge us regarding Sabbaths ...."(Colossian 2:16) ....
...and also "that man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath for man" Mark 2:27.

Jesus Himself is my Sabbath rest. I live in Him 7 days a week, one a small part of one day a week.
But, you did ask ;)
This is just 'my' belief. Blessings...Helen.
Thanks for your statement. The weekly Sabbath.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 2
10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point,he is guilty of all.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 2
10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point,he is guilty of all.
I would like to ask you, what about the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, but how can I be guilty of all? What are you talking about?

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Colossians 2:16

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to ask you, what about the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, but how can I be guilty of all? What are you talking about?

If one observes the Sabbath yet breaks one of the over 600 commands in the Mosaic Law, he is a transgressor of the law. All the commands that are kept aren't enough to cover the one that was broken.

Trying to keep the Sabbath is an exercise in futility. Even if one is successful in keeping the Sabbath, all it takes is one sin to wipe out that accomplishment.

If you want to uphold the commandments, all you need to do is love your neighbor as yourself. Treat people the way you want to be treated. And acknowledge the Lord as the One true God and worship Him as such.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just thought it was something worth mentioning.

Reactions: pia and Helen

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
With regard to the law:

Allow me to reduce this to a secular level.

We live in a world of law(s).

Let's consider the speed limit:

The law, it was not created for the righteous, for those who travel at a safe rate of speed. It was created for the lawless, for those who would endanger others [let alone themselves], by traveling at unsafe rates of speed, speeding. Thus, the law has power over them, those that speed, power to inflict penalty for transgression of the law.

But for those who are righteous, the law holds no power over them. They live in liberty and are free from the penalty of the law.

Same applies to intersections and traffic lights: Because of the increase of iniquity, those who fail to uphold the law and obey the light, they are installing cameras in major intersections to perhaps inhibit the dangerous behavior of some. That same behavior, which is *not* to love one's neighbor. For it is placing one's neighbor in harms way.

But are the law and cameras created for the righteous? No. They are for the lawless and disobedient. Those by whose actions, could be manslayers.

Same with secular laws with regard to pedophilia. They are not made for the righteous. But for the lawless. Does the law have the power to ensure that these things do not occur? No. The power of the law, of any law, is in the penalty thereof. Whether it be fine, prison time, or even
death.

That being said, how much more should we willing and desire to live lawfully. To live in liberty, because we transgress not the law.

Sure, we are all gonna screw up now and then. But it should be the exception rather than the norm. Just as speeding, rolling stop signs, pushing red lights, are seemingly more the norm than they are the exception these days.

Now, I have digressed from the OP But, it is something that IMO is important. It is something that many do not seem to grasp.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one observes the Sabbath yet breaks one of the over 600 commands in the Mosaic Law, he is a transgressor of the law. All the commands that are kept aren't enough to cover the one that was broken.

Trying to keep the Sabbath is an exercise in futility. Even if one is successful in keeping the Sabbath, all it takes is one sin to wipe out that accomplishment.

If you want to uphold the commandments, all you need to do is love your neighbor as yourself. Treat people the way you want to be treated. And acknowledge the Lord as the One true God and worship Him as such.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just thought it was something worth mentioning.

I do understand about the above statements, but no scripture.

And we try to relate with scriptures: Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy, Exodus 20:8 , Our Lord Jesus Christ have a custom in Luke 4:16, and also the Apostle Paul in Acts 17:2, And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, but why is it that in todays world with all sort of people
is not following his steps, I Peter 2:21, King James Bible
For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: So then, why not follow our Saviour steps?

Last edited:

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And we try to relate with scriptures: Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy, Exodus 20:8 ,

Hebrews 8
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—
9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord.
>snip<
13 In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

We aren't required to uphold the old laws.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 8
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—
9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord.
>snip<
13 In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Since you are talking about the law, You know something we do establish, Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law. Romans 3:31 ,

Bible Gateway passage: Jeremiah 31:31-34 - English Standard Version

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Hebrews 10:16,

Last edited:

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since you are talking about the law, You know something we do establish, Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law. Romans 3:31 ,

Mark 12
30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.
31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 12
30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.
31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Yes! , but I did not finish post # 11, please read.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
you forgot to mention that Sabbath is a Commandment, whereas all those others are derivative
but neither are you excused from breaking Commandments, imo

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know. Knee jerk reaction. I'm so used to people disagreeing with me...I just assume. My bad.

My apologies...
Don't worry everything will workout for his Name sake, that's if you love the Lord and keeping his sayings. John 15:7, 8,

John 15:7-8New International Version (NIV)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Nevertheless he saved them for his name's sake, that he might make his mighty power to be known. Psalm 106:8

Last edited:
Reactions: Job