Christians Who Take God's Sabbath Command Seriously

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saturday 4-1-23 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Nisan 9, 5783 13th. Spring Day

Dec 4, 2017

I have not addressed the below statement for a while, please check my content on this issue, I don't know if anyone have checked this issue. Maybe on a different Forums site.
I will check it out and put it on this Forums Site.

Christians who take God's Sabbath command seriously often wonder how to keep the Sabbath as a Christian. What principles ... The Sabbath is a day when we pause from our normal labors and activities and rest for 24 hours on the seventh day of the week (from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday as the Bible counts time).

Wednesday 3-22-23 4th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Adar 29, 5783 3rd. Spring Day

Today's Devotional

Read: Genesis 1:31–2:2 | Bible in a Year: Joshua 10–12; Luke 1:39–56

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

God had finished the work . . . so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Genesis 2:2

We sat atop some beach boulders, my friend Soozi and I, watching the foam send up sea spray in arched curls. Looking at the incoming waves crashing one after another against the rocks, Soozi announced, “I love the ocean. It keeps moving so I don’t have to!”
Isn’t it interesting how some of us feel we need “permission” to pause from our work to rest? Well, that’s just what our good God offers us! For six days, God spun the earth into existence, creating light, land, vegetation, animals, and humans.

Then on the seventh day, He rested (Genesis 1:31–2:2). In the Ten Commandments, God listed His rules for healthy living to honor Him (Exodus 20:3–17), including the command to remember the Sabbath as a day of rest (vv. 8–11). In the New Testament, we see Jesus healing all the sick of the town (Mark 1:29–34) and then early the next morning retreating to a solitary place to pray (v. 35). Purposefully, our God both worked and rested.

The rhythm of God’s provision in work and His invitation to rest reverberates around us. Spring’s planting yields growth in summer, harvest in autumn, and rest in winter. Morning, noon, afternoon, evening, night. God orders our lives for both work and rest, offering us permission to do both.
How would you assess the balance in your life between work and rest? When and how might you pause each day to reflect on God’s example of rhythm and rest?
Dear God, thank You that You made me to follow after Your heart, to both work and rest for Your glory and my good.

INSIGHT​

All major ancient cultures have creation legends, and they often depict creation as taking place through some sort of sexual activity among the gods or through acts of violence. Genesis is startlingly different from these stories; it simply states that God spoke all things into existence (Genesis 1:3, 6, 9, 11, 14, 20, 24) and that He formed Adam “from the dust of the ground” (2:7; see 1:26).

When these creative acts were completed, God established His Sabbath rest (2:2–3). This rest would later be implemented for God’s chosen people, the fledgling nation of Israel (Exodus 20:8–11). When God gave the Ten Commandments to Moses, He reminded the people, “In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy” (v. 11).

By Elisa Morgan|March 22nd, 2023

Rest Genesis 1:31, 2:3

31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Read full chapter

Genesis 2:3

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saturday 4-1-23 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Nisan 9, 5783 13th. Spring Day

Dec 4, 2017

I have not addressed the below statement for a while, please check my content on this issue, I don't know if anyone have checked this issue. Maybe on a different Forums site.
I will check it out and put it on this Forums Site.

Christians who take God's Sabbath command seriously often wonder how to keep the Sabbath as a Christian. What principles ... The Sabbath is a day when we pause from our normal labors and activities and rest for 24 hours on the seventh day of the week (from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday as the Bible counts time).

Wednesday 3-22-23 4th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Adar 29, 5783 3rd. Spring Day

Today's Devotional's Devotional

Read: Genesis 1:31–2:2 | Bible in a Year: Joshua 10–12; Luke 1:39–56

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

God had finished the work . . . so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Genesis 2:2

We sat atop some beach boulders, my friend Soozi and I, watching the foam send up sea spray in arched curls. Looking at the incoming waves crashing one after another against the rocks, Soozi announced, “I love the ocean. It keeps moving so I don’t have to!”
Isn’t it interesting how some of us feel we need “permission” to pause from our work to rest? Well, that’s just what our good God offers us! For six days, God spun the earth into existence, creating light, land, vegetation, animals, and humans.

Then on the seventh day, He rested (Genesis 1:31–2:2). In the Ten Commandments, God listed His rules for healthy living to honor Him (Exodus 20:3–17), including the command to remember the Sabbath as a day of rest (vv. 8–11). In the New Testament, we see Jesus healing all the sick of the town (Mark 1:29–34) and then early the next morning retreating to a solitary place to pray (v. 35). Purposefully, our God both worked and rested.

The rhythm of God’s provision in work and His invitation to rest reverberates around us. Spring’s planting yields growth in summer, harvest in autumn, and rest in winter. Morning, noon, afternoon, evening, night. God orders our lives for both work and rest, offering us permission to do both.
How would you assess the balance in your life between work and rest? When and how might you pause each day to reflect on God’s example of rhythm and rest?
Dear God, thank You that You made me to follow after Your heart, to both work and rest for Your glory and my good.

INSIGHT​

All major ancient cultures have creation legends, and they often depict creation as taking place through some sort of sexual activity among the gods or through acts of violence. Genesis is startlingly different from these stories; it simply states that God spoke all things into existence (Genesis 1:3, 6, 9, 11, 14, 20, 24) and that He formed Adam “from the dust of the ground” (2:7; see 1:26).

When these creative acts were completed, God established His Sabbath rest (2:2–3). This rest would later be implemented for God’s chosen people, the fledgling nation of Israel (Exodus 20:8–11). When God gave the Ten Commandments to Moses, He reminded the people, “In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy” (v. 11).

By Elisa Morgan|March 22nd, 2023

Rest Genesis 1:31, 2:3

31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Read full chapter

Genesis 2:3

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

In the scriptures it's written in (Lev 23:3). A holy convocation is an assembly of the people of God, who come together to worship him.

There are two calendars that exist. God's calendar and man's calendar; both consist of seven day weeks. The difference in the two calendars is that God has named the days with numbers, and man has given the days names. God's calendar begins with day 1 and ends with day 7, his weekly Sabbath. Man's calendar names day 1 as, Sunday, and ends with Saturday, day 7, God's weekly Sabbath. Although man's calendar is universal (the same all over the world) the majority of professed Christians worship the Lord on Sunday which is clearly the 1st day of the week not the 7th day that the Lord has hallowed, sanctified and commanded that we keep.

(Ex.31:16-17). If you're a stranger (Non-Israelite), you must also keep the Lord's Sabbath day. "Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love him, to be his servants, every one of them that keepth the Sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my Holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar: for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people." (Isaiah 56:6-7).

We all know that the Sabbath day consist of 24 hours, as all days do. However it is important that we understand that the Lord begins the day with the evening, "And God called the light day, and the darkness was called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." (Gen 1:5). Man begins the day at 12:01 am, so, there is about a six hour difference from sundown (beginning of the day) to midnight. In other words, the seventh day begins Friday at evening, instead of, midnight Friday; thus, the seventh day is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. As we tend to keeping the whole law of God, we must, also remember to observe the whole day of rest.
Prophecy declared that we would forget to keep the Sabbath holy.

"Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy", is what the Lord commands us in the "Ten Commandments", see Ex.20:8-11.Yes, the world has forgotten to sanctify the Sabbath and that is the reason why we (the world) are in such a terrible state today.

"The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, change the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the cursed devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left." (Isaiah 24:5-6).

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
In the scriptures it's written in (Lev 23:3). A holy convocation is an assembly of the people of God, who come together to worship him.

There are two calendars that exist. God's calendar and man's calendar; both consist of seven day weeks. The difference in the two calendars is that God has named the days with numbers, and man has given the days names. God's calendar begins with day 1 and ends with day 7, his weekly Sabbath. Man's calendar names day 1 as, Sunday, and ends with Saturday, day 7, God's weekly Sabbath. Although man's calendar is universal (the same all over the world) the majority of professed Christians worship the Lord on Sunday which is clearly the 1st day of the week not the 7th day that the Lord has hallowed, sanctified and commanded that we keep.

(Ex.31:16-17). If you're a stranger (Non-Israelite), you must also keep the Lord's Sabbath day. "Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love him, to be his servants, every one of them that keepth the Sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my Holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar: for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people." (Isaiah 56:6-7).

We all know that the Sabbath day consist of 24 hours, as all days do. However it is important that we understand that the Lord begins the day with the evening, "And God called the light day, and the darkness was called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." (Gen 1:5). Man begins the day at 12:01 am, so, there is about a six hour difference from sundown (beginning of the day) to midnight. In other words, the seventh day begins Friday at evening, instead of, midnight Friday; thus, the seventh day is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. As we tend to keeping the whole law of God, we must, also remember to observe the whole day of rest.
Prophecy declared that we would forget to keep the Sabbath holy.

"Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy", is what the Lord commands us in the "Ten Commandments", see Ex.20:8-11.Yes, the world has forgotten to sanctify the Sabbath and that is the reason why we (the world) are in such a terrible state today.

"The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, change the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the cursed devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left." (Isaiah 24:5-6).
The Sabbath considered without Jesus' Resurrection on it considered first and foremost, NEVER, CAN, BE, "The Seventh Day Sabbath OF, THE LORD, GOD". Learnedness and scholarship trying to, become abject rhetoric.

Last edited:

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath considered without Jesus' Resurrection on it considered first and foremost, NEVER, CAN, BE, "The Seventh Day Sabbath OF, THE LORD, GOD". Learnedness and scholarship trying to, become abject rhetoric.
Not sure I understand what you saying here, do you have scripture or verse to add to it?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think this verse is fascinating and ties nicely. There are some who will not rest Rev 14:11 " And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

It is very important to enter into His rest.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this verse is fascinating and ties nicely. There are some who will not rest Rev 14:11 " And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

It is very important to enter into His rest.
Hi Cassandra, Great post, thank you.

Love, Walter

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa