Clean and Unclean Food

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
What is this junk.....I was just reading on another site about the Bible speaking of clean and unclean food. I am starting to think that the only way to live by the Bible is lock your self in a glass case don't breath and don't think...

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
In the Old Testament times there were clean and unclean foods. Deuteronomy 14:3-21Leviticus 11But Jesus has declared all foods clean. Mark 7:14-23I can't remember where but I think Peter(?) gets a vision telling him it is ok to eat foods that were considered unclean.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Jerusalem Junkie;46965)
What is this junk.....I was just reading on another site about the Bible speaking of clean and unclean food. I am starting to think that the only way to live by the Bible is lock your self in a glass case don't breath and don't think...
Actually, the list of unclean meats as they are called is found in Leviticus. The list is not that restrictive. Besides the Pork, rabbit (a rodent anyway) and crustaceans, other unclean meats include things such as predator birds, rats, spiders and the like. I trust you don't eat any of that anyway?The clean meats are animals that part the hoof and chew the cud---- lamb and beef are good examples, and not to eat them with the blood or their fat---- lean well done meat in other words by medical standards. Other good meats were fresh fish with scales.I am not aware of fruit or vegetable restrictions (correct me anyone if my mind is drawing a blank tonight) except for stuff that is obviously poisonous. And milk and cheese (diary) were also eaten as clean foods except they were the more goat-based instead of cow-based variety. That covers most of the food groups, and most all are endorsed by the bible.I think one would fare much better if they avoided man-made or man-altered foods such as artificial sweeteners, fats, margarine and refined foods. It's no secret that the health food industry for a long time has been warning that some diseases, such as Cancer, can result from too much consumption of such unnatural things.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Eat right, live healthy and die anyway. So theres not much of an option here is there? You know when I croak I want to go out screaming sliding into home and yell "Man what a ride!"

arniem

Mar 17, 2008
I hope my comment fits within this thread and it has been a while since I studied it so this is from memory.Medical research looked back on some of the historical diseases and plagues that have swept through Europe and determined that many times the Jewish folks survived much better because of cleanliness and food handling and waste disposal they employed according to "religious laws".Arnie M.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Your all right the old testament laid out laws for meat labeling them clean and unclean Why? it is as Arnie says the unclean meats and fish we are not to eat are the scavengers of the earth and sea, they eat the dead and decaying things. In the example of Pork Pigs have no sweat glands in which to rid their bodies of contaminates, so it stays in their meat. Eating a lot of unclean meat tends to make one ill as it pollutes the body. How many times do we hear of people getting sick eating contaminated shell fish? Now with the death of Christ these health laws were fulfilled and it is no longer a sin to eat these things but they can still make one ill. The only other things that weren't to be eaten were things that were dedicated to foreign gods/idols and that is because it honors them. We do not see that much today but if you do I wouldnt partake even though we can repent if we did so. Why would one want to.

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
I try not to eat the "unclean" foods but not for religious reasons. But becasue of what kriss said, health reasons.

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
(Jerusalem Junkie;46965)
I am starting to think that the only way to live by the Bible is lock your self in a glass case don't breath and don't think...
it does actually seem like that sometimes
sad.gif

Newcolors

Mar 20, 2008
The food laws of Leviticus have never been changed or done away with. What God considers to be abominable has never changed. Swines flesh, mice, batwings and bottom feeders are not for the children of God. Eating them is wrong according to God's Word, which by the way, is supposedly the standard by which we measure right and wrong. Right? Newcolors

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Medical research looked back on some of the historical diseases and plagues that have swept through Europe and determined that many times the Jewish folks survived much better because of cleanliness and food handling and waste disposal they employed according to "religious laws".
Pretty much sums it up - I always reference the case of a pig which kriss already covered. The food laws aren't anything particularly difficult and they help keep you in good health. A lot of the laws are "common knowledge" these days.Leviticus 11:10
And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
I wanted to call attention to what was being said about the food laws - read them again and you'll catch the last phrase I highlighted often. It's not an abomination unto God, it's an abomination to you because it is not healthy.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
MikeyBut Jesus has declared all foods clean. Mark 7:14-23I can't remember where but I think Peter(?) gets a vision telling him it is ok to eat foods that were considered unclean.
Just thought Id help you out with Acts,Jesus did not declare all foods cleanActs 11:3 "Saying, "Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them."Acts 11:4 "But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying,"Peter retold, or rehearsed what had happened from the beginning, when he was sitting on the roof at Simon the tanner's house.Acts 11:5 "I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:"This vessel came down from heaven to earth. The number four in biblical numerics means "earth". It is this flesh earth age. Acts 11:6 "Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air."I looked in the sheet and saw all these beasts.Acts 11:7 "And I heard a voice saying unto me, `Arise, Peter; slay and eat.' "This is not tradition that Peter would not eat scavenger foods, because they are part of the food laws that will never change. The sin of violating them will not condemn your soul, but they do not deal with the health and condition of your physical body. When you are in the flesh, there are certain things that God did not intend to be eaten by man, for they are the garbage collectors of the earth. The scavengers are created for that purpose, and eating them is like eating the filth out of your garbage can. Friend, flesh hasn't changed, and the same things that made the flesh sick two thousand years ago will still make it sick today. Acts 11:8 "But I said, `Not so Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.' "Why? Peter liked to be healthy. The law guided Peter to stay away from them.Acts 11:9 "But the voice answered me again from heaven, `What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.' "Pay close attention to what is talked about here. It has nothing to do with eating any food, for God is giving Peter a lesson, and He will not allow Peter to even touch those things that are in the sheet. God is using this as an analogy, to show that the different peoples, called the uncircumcision, will be acceptable through salvation by Jesus the Christ.Oh and read Mark again,its has nothing to do with food

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(Jerusalem Junkie;46965)
Ive heard the only way to live the life of a christian is to take all the stuff out of the room, take a chair, lock the room, and sit there and stare at the wall for eighty years, or until you die.but what good is that!!1 who are you converting, how are you spreading the gospel. Walls just can't be converted., That is why God sent his Son into the world, because we can never gain the perfection God seeks. but we can still spread his message.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't always have to listen to what you hear. I'd say the above saying is pure hogwash.David was a man after God's own heart.Acts 13:22
And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.
Despite the fact that he was a murderer, adulterer, and was documented to have sinned against God.It can be a tough life, you're going to ultimately be persecuted one way or another for his name.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
You don't always have to listen to what you hear. I'd say the above saying is pure hogwash.
Thats the key believe nothing you hear and very little you see it works better that way.