Commandments vs Born Again ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus said keep my commandments but He did not say we must be born again - twinc

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
tabletalk said:
Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

tabletalk said:

I have already stated the cause of this confusion is slipshod reading, study and false interpretation - Jesus did not say we[Christians]must be born again of water and spirit - twinc

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell us, 'what does it mean to be born of water and of the spirit?'

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suggest you study the word "water" and "spirit" what these words really convey and perhaps you might get the true meaning of being born in water and of the spirit.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Jun2u said:
I suggest you study the word "water" and "spirit" what these words really convey and perhaps you might get the true meaning of being born in water and of the spirit.
Jun2u said:

water = H20 and spirit = God - twinc

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what I thought. Studying scriptures and the words contained therein are God's words We do not look for meanings "out there" (in the world) We compare scripture with scripture and how a word is used elsewhere in the Bible to get truth.

Water is related to baptism and baptism means to "wash." To become "born again" means we are to be washed of our sin-sicked souls. Water cannot wash our sins away only dirt on our skin as per 1 Peter 3:21. It's the blood of Jesus that washes sins away and not any form of water.

To God Be The Glory.

Reactions: Josho

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Jun2u said:
That's what I thought. Studying scriptures and the words contained therein are God's words We do not look for meanings "out there" (in the world) We compare scripture with scripture and how a word is used elsewhere in the Bible to get truth.

Water is related to baptism and baptism means to "wash." To become "born again" means we are to be washed of our sin-sicked souls. Water cannot wash our sins away only dirt on our skin as per 1 Peter 3:21. It's the blood of Jesus that washes sins away and not any form of water.

To God Be The Glory.
Jun2u said:

To God Be The Glory.

perhaps you would care/dare to tell us that Christ and the bible have it all wrong and we do not need to or have to be baptised by water and the H/S - all sorts of division, divergence, differences and disputes and confusion arises comparing scripture with scripture - twinc

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
twinc said:
perhaps you would care/dare to tell us that Christ and the bible have it all wrong and we do not need to or have to be baptised by water and the H/S - all sorts of division, divergence, differences and disputes and confusion arises comparing scripture with scripture - twinc
At the cross Jesus saves the thief an hour or two before he died. Did he receive water baptism?

You are correct, "all sorts of division, divergence,differences and disputes and confusion arises" because only a few will pay heed to the principles set forth in the Bible.

1 Corinthians 2: 13-14 reads:

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know; because they are spiritually discerned.

To God Be The Glory

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Jun2u said:
At the cross Jesus saves the thief an hour or two before he died. Did he receive water baptism?

You are correct, "all sorts of division, divergence,differences and disputes and confusion arises" because only a few will pay heed to the principles set forth in the Bible.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know; because they are spiritually discerned.

To God Be The Glory

Jesus was a natural/supernatural man - are you not a natural man - Jesus only came to save natural men as sinners - twinc

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Jun2u said:

To God Be The Glory

btw if Jesus said so or says so and redeems you - you would not need baptism - baptism applies in His absence - twinc

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many baptisms does the Bible speak of? If there are more than one, can you show where the scriptures might be?

To God Be The Glory

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Jun2u said:
How many baptisms does the Bible speak of? If there are more than one, can you show where the scriptures might be?

To God Be The Glory

there is only one that matters - twinc

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
11 I baptize you with water for repentance, but the One who is coming after me is more powerful than I. I am not worthy to remove His sandals. He Himself will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

you mean there is only one that you have a ritual for, i guess

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
bbyrd009 said:
11 I baptize you with water for repentance, but the One who is coming after me is more powerful than I. I am not worthy to remove His sandals. He Himself will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

tell us then when did this apply to you - guess you are imagining - twinc

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
twinc said:

tell us then when did this apply to you - guess you are imagining - twinc
i kind of don't get this--it seems like the same statement as the op to me. Wouldn't it be better to assume that there is an application, if it is in the Book, rather than just dismissing it if we have no experience of it? So, you have perhaps some valid point to make in the op that i am not quite getting yet that i would like to, as i prolly agree that our def of "born again" is whacked now, but nonetheless it is in there, to be applied some kind of way, right? So i would say "just trust me," but you don't have to imo, for the same reason, that being that you can read it for yourself. I could give you some description but imo these are all ongoing processes, baptism of the Spirit might be likened to finding Word, and of Fire the experience of suffering loss or persecution for maintaining an unpopular position when you are in the right, perhaps, something like that.