Commitment Over Marriage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Umm,.. okay,.. that's fine. No offense taken. :)

He is a better man and husband then I am a wife. It is my fault he would not join your discussion. I have control issues which my husband has tried to point out to me before. Maybe not so much control as insecurities...a load of them. And trust issues. Even over Facebook. We still argue about it. It was way before and for a while now, and has nothing to do with you @April_Rose. truth is I’ve pm @Willie T before (which now cherish and will remember his words), @amadeus, and more recently @faroke to send a link I wanted to share with him but not in the open forum. Guess I pick and choose who and when it is okay and when it is not okay. Sometimes my husband has called me ‘the arbitrator’. I’m starting to see why. Point is, he is being truthful but it isn’t a truth on my end.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright but you know that Willie is no longer with us right? He went home to be with the Lord this past summer (I do believe) so it's really good news for him, but bad news for us. :(

Reactions: Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am sorry but there are reasons as to why I will not be adding much to this thread now. Sometimes we see one piece of a puzzle and presume the whole picture, then we are given other pieces of the puzzle and a whole different picture emerges. I am hardly the right one to form any judgements considering I was pregnant before I got married, in all honesty because I got married I felt that I had put things right. It was years later that I dealt with things, but it was linked to forgiveness and not condemnation.
Rita
@Rita The believer, looking back, back at things learned and things changed by grace, can say, as in 1 Samuel 7.12: Ebenezer, 'Hitherto hath the LORD helped us'...

Reactions: Rita and April_Rose

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is a better man and husband then I am a wife. It is my fault he would not join your discussion. I have control issues which my husband has tried to point out to me before. Maybe not so much control as insecurities...a load of them. And trust issues. Even over Facebook. We still argue about it. It was way before and for a while now, and has nothing to do with you @April_Rose. truth is I’ve pm @Willie T before (which now cherish and will remember his words), @amadeus, and more recently @faroke to send a link I wanted to share with him but not in the open forum. Guess I pick and choose who and when it is okay and when it is not okay. Sometimes my husband has called me ‘the arbitrator’. I’m starting to see why. Point is, he is being truthful but it isn’t a truth on my end.

My husband doesnt care, but I don't converse men pm except my pastor and Hidden, since I share dreams quite a bit and we are friends. But yeh, I just chat with the girls. :)

As far as the OP goes, @April_Rose , I just have to say that I waited until marriage for sex, and was grateful that I did. A man who is willing to wait for you, really shows how much they care. Your fiance sounds like a really good man. I would just pray about it with him, and ask God to help yall make the right decisions regarding this matter. I am not really sure about marriage these days. Two men or two women can get a certificate of marriage. Is it really a marriage though? It definitely is adultery. But that is another topic. :) My mind goes in a number of different directions.

Reactions: April_Rose

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Commitment is not over marriage.

Commitment has always been during and within marriage

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I finally decided to bring this up considering the fact that my fiancee and I have slept together several times now, and even though we still do plan on getting married we've been together since high school so I sort of feel like we're married in the heart so I feel like we're married already and a ceremony is just that and a certificate is just a piece of paper. I think that all God means is not to have a one-night stand.

There is a point of view that if two people have sex with each other they are married in God's sight. As it is the most intimate part of the marriage, it should be something that is kept until both have shown their commitment to each other which is of course a marriage ceremony whatever form that may take. It is the opportunity to vow our commitment to each other and that is when the sex begins because every time you have it you leave a bit of yourself with the other person so you would not want that to happen with any Tom, Dick, or Harry.

My wife and I have been married for 50 years and shared our sex life for the first time on our wedding night. When the going gets tough and it does and will, I always think back to my wedding vow which was "Until death us do part." Arguments or differences are not a reason for divorce. If you have made the vow, only death can separate you. God has not broken any promises and he expects us to do the same.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh just one thing,.. two men or two women getting married is definitely a sin. The Bible is very clear on that. I forget the exact verse but the Bible calls it an abomination.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it depends on what kind of pride that you're talking about. Being proud of yourself and being cocky are two separate things.

Yes I think that sometimes it's good to feel proud of yourself. To accomplish something awesome, I get that feeling when I climb a mountain.

And I think he was referring the the pride of self righteousness, which can be coming from God worshipers or Atheists depending on what they think is good, which could be the love of money among many other things. But there is an interesting scripture that responds to self righteous pride, it is the parable of the tax collector:

Luke 18:9-14

New King James Version

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Noting that he used his self righteous pride to cast judgment on sinners. Pride is a natural feeling of accomplishment, it's what we do with it that can turn into sin or not.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 16:5 KJV
[5] Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord : though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
Just quoting scripture.

Reactions: farouk

Mike12

Oct 28, 2020
Madison
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just imagine, my faith in Sun Myung Moon, could lead to Korea, where in Korean a man marries me to a gay Korean man. Then he could become a citizen and share my property. I was just thinking.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just imagine, my faith in Sun Myung Moon, could lead to Korea, where in Korean a man marries me to a gay Korean man. Then he could become a citizen and share my property. I was just thinking.
This is why I’ve been asking what makes marriage an institution of God and not man

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 16:5 KJV
[5] Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord : though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
Just quoting scripture.

You need to look at the definition of "proud of heart":

1 foll by: of, an infinitive, or a clause pleased or satisfied, as with oneself, one's possessions, achievements, etc, or with another person, his or her achievements, qualities, etc. 2 feeling honoured or gratified by or as if by some distinction. 3 having an inordinately high opinion of oneself; arrogant or haughty.

That verse is clearly referring to high opinion of oneself; arrogant or haughty.

That doesn't reflect being happy that you climbed a mountain and feeling accomplished or the like.

Reactions: historyb