Commonsense

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it?
Does it exist?
Do you expect commonsense to rule people’s behavior in public?

I do not believe in commonsense - it does not exist - and i do not expect it from my neighbor.
I think commonsense was and an ideal believed by a homogeneous society in the middle of the last century. I believe people who expect other people to share their expectations and goals and methods for fulfilling those expectations and meeting those goals are perpetually disappointed and frustrated and end up feeling alienated.

Do you believe in commonsense?

Reactions: Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it?
Does it exist?

I do not believe in commonsense - it does not exist - and i do not expect it from my neighbor.
I think commonsense was and an ideal believed by a homogeneous society in the middle of the last century. I believe people who expect other people to share their expectations and goals and methods for fulfilling those expectations and meeting those goals are perpetually disappointed and frustrated and end up feeling alienated.

With a homogeneous society, commonsense would be more common. With a non-homogeneous society, totally mixed up with race, ideology, reliegion, etc., commonsense is nonexistent.

You can't make the outward circumstances totally different and expect a common to grow out of it.

Stranger

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think everyone has their own opinion of what is common sense. Like for me, I can probably tell you a bunch of stuff from books, and always was good in school.

But street smarts...like who to trust and who not to trust, I leave car stuff and haggling stuff to the husband, :D

But also common sense things, like how to sew, how to cook, etc. Kids are growing up having everything done for them. So a lot of things are not commonsense or common knowledge anymore.

Reactions: GodsGrace and Nancy

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think everyone has their own opinion of what is common sense. Like for me, I can probably tell you a bunch of stuff from books, and always was good in school.

But street smarts...like who to trust and who not to trust, I leave car stuff and haggling stuff to the husband, :D

But also common sense things, like how to sew, how to cook, etc. Kids are growing up having everything done for them. So a lot of things are not commonsense or common knowledge anymore.

There is nothing common about sense, i am afraid...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it?
Does it exist?

Well, for one thing I know it is not very common! Lol. People who put expectations on others are no better than those who put others on a pedestal. God forbid you do not meet their expectations! As far as "common sense as we use is in general like, I know its definitely NOT using common sense to walk into the middle of traffic, or to jump off a very high roof.
jmo :)

Reactions: aspen and Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
What is it?
Does it exist?

I live in a homogenious society.
I think people around here tend to have common sense.
Sense that is common to everyone.
They also hate change.
Is hating change common sense??

Reactions: Nancy