• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll draw your attention to an article I came across. Do you agree or disagree with this comment, knowing that it was made by the pastor of a church?

9 – Community is more important than reading the Bible. (The early church didn’t have the Bible for the first 300 years of Christianity…but they did have one another.)
Source: https://perrynoble.com/blog/ten-convictions-i-have-about-the-church

What do you think?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
HammerStone said:
I'll draw your attention to an article I came across. Do you agree or disagree with this comment, knowing that it was made by the pastor of a church?

Source: https://perrynoble.com/blog/ten-convictions-i-have-about-the-church

What do you think?
Being that he is a pastor I have less respect for error than I would for a layman. The early church had the letters from the apostles, the gospels, and the prophets. While they didn't have these all in one book, it is evident that the scriptures were available to the church. I'm also sure there were scripture readings, where the congregation could hear The Word.

But to the point he was making, (Community is more important than reading the Bible.) I would say there is a time an place for both in the life of the believer. The community that is not grounded in scripture will be lead astray. While the individual that doesn't put his or her faith into action by loving others is in no better a state.

If the congregation is sufficiently literate with the Bible, that they are prepared to use it in everyday life that is enough in my view. Their devotion time should shift from reading the bible less to praying more. Avoid running yourself ragged doing good works by keeping your devotion time with God.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
9 – Community is more important than reading the Bible. (The early church didn’t have the Bible for the first 300 years of Christianity…but they did have one another.)
I'm sure that Martin Luther would agree with his premise if he had nothing to compare his 95 indulgences with... ;)

The bible is a hard copy of God's plan to restore man back to him through his promised son. It is personal and historical record/dialogue of events relating to a particular community chosen by God who originally passed it down through oral traditions.

Do you agree or disagree with this comment, knowing that it was made by the pastor of a church?
The bible is the center of community life as believers...it's kinda like an oxymoron! :ph34r:

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being that he is a pastor I have less respect for error than I would for a layman. The early church had the letters from the apostles, the gospels, and the prophets. While they didn't have these all in one book, it is evident that the scriptures were available to the church. I'm also sure there were scripture readings, where the congregation could hear The Word.
Agreed, a pastor has the added burden of having to be a little more careful in what he says. There are passages in the Bible which say that the pastor will be held accountable for what he teaches, and his influence is why. I think you anticipate the argument that this pastor made and most Christians of the Roman Catholic (and similar churches) would make about the Bible not existing for the first few centuries.

What's funny, is this is essentially a Roman Catholic argument, dressed up in Protestant robes. I think any Protestant would argue that what you believe very much influences how you interact in a group. If you take the group away, the Word of God would still exist. If you take the Bible away, the group would exist but it would no longer be Christian.

I think what the author said is an attempt to make a valid point that one cannot just read the Bible, develop a private interpretation, and then be a good Christian. There is a need to live in community with other believers. The pushing and pulling of working through beliefs and living in community is meant to be a part of the sanctification process.

The bible is the center of community life as believers...it's kinda like an oxymoron! :ph34r:
I agree Angelina, it's the center of our beliefs. While the point made have had good intentions, it comes off rather absolutely. I believe we are part of a living faith, but I don't believe it is as simple as getting a group of good people together. We don't have apostles in the same role of the NT speaking to us with eyewitness or virtually eyewitness accounts, rather we now have the Bible with those account. Our Christian walk should grow into prayer and church together, but it has to start somewhere, and that somewhere is the Bible.