Complaining

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humans love to complain

The Bible is full of complaining humanity

How much of your day is filled with listening to complaints and producing them?

Is complaining sinful? It seems to have been a problem for the Israelites in the desert

Is complaining helpful?

Is complaining part of our responsibility as Americans?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that the topics we complain about and people we choose to complain to can reveal a lot about our spiritual condition. Complaining about your small home to a homeless person is one method of revealing a lack of perspective taking skills, for example; complaining about a hangnail in a chemo clinic, is another.

What character flaws does your own habits concerning complaining reveal? How does it impact your spiritual life?

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is complaining sinful? It seems to have been a problem for the Israelites in the desert

Is complaining helpful?

I think you already know the answer to this Aspen... :)
God hates murmuring and complaining so much so that He let the Children of Israel wander and die in the heat of the wilderness...
...and He tells us to rejoice evermore, pray without ceasing and in everything....give thanks .
This is the path of the Overcomers...

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you already know the answer to this Aspen... :)
God hates murmuring and complaining so much so that He let the Children of Israel wander and die in the heat of the wilderness...
...and He tells us to rejoice evermore, pray without ceasing and in everything....give thanks .
This is the path of the Overcomers...

Gratitude does work wonders in turning around a spirit of complaining. So what role does complaining play in your life?

I tend to use it as a litmus test for my patience level........driving used to be the perfect opportunity for me to explore my tolerance for other people and help me to pull myself together, so to speak, before work, in order to face the day.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gratitude does work wonders in turning around a spirit of complaining. So what role does complaining play in your life?

I tend to use it as a litmus test for my patience level........driving used to be the perfect opportunity for me to explore my tolerance for other people and help me to pull myself together, so to speak, before work, in order to face the day.

I personally do not give it time of day ...unless I try to live without the Holy Spirit....then I fall flat on my face.
I believe it is a fruit of the flesh... and the devil's candy. He feeds on it and loves the negative atmosphere that it causes.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally do not give it time of day ...unless I try to live without the Holy Spirit....then I fall flat on my face.
I believe it is a fruit of the flesh... and the devil's candy. He feeds on it and loves the negative atmosphere that it causes.

Do you see this as an example of spiritual growth, when you look back on your life? Or a product of good training? Or both?

Blessed15

Dec 17, 2017
Harare
Faith
Christian
Country
Zimbabwe
Correct. Some of us complain too much. We have shelter, food and water. Consider that there are people without food, clothes and shelter. Some children walk 10 or more miles to school sometimes barefoot, no access to medical care. There are others who cannot even worship as freely as we do. The list is endless. So when you put all this in perspective, you can see that we are guilty of complaining too much.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Complaining does seem to be a habit that roots us in sin and one that can be fixed. Talking about it can generate solutions.

It is not a popular topic because most of us guilty of doing it daily. Unlike homosexuality or slavery or some distant sin, we have to deal with it

Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you see this as an example of spiritual growth, when you look back on your life? Or a product of good training? Or both?

I have to say both...good mentors who I saw 'living it.'
I learned early in my walk that when the atmosphere is negative be it arguing or complaining..that sitting quietly and praising God changes the atmosphere and the dark forces cannot stay around.

I taught this to my grandkids...
One day when their parents were arguing the eldest ( about 12 at the time) just sat the quietly saying "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" over and over again. ( being nervous)...and next day she came running into my house saying- "Nanny, it worked, it really worked, I got peace in my heart and soon everyone was all happy again." ✟

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting to watch this thread whither away.....

I guess it is more interesting to talk about aspects of life that divide us......guns, homosexuality, denominations....

Yet, complaining is so prevalent in the Bible! Such a core issue.....we can all relate

And there seems to be nothing to talk about ...ha

Reactions: Helen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humans love to complain

The Bible is full of complaining humanity

How much of your day is filled with listening to complaints and producing them?

Is complaining helpful?

How much do I complain per day?? Well, mostly whenever I play with teammates with a low basketball IQ in NBA 2K18, or when my favorite team is losing. It makes you want to throw the gosh damn controller at the screen. Other times I might "complain" is when something plainly stated in scripture is turned into a rocket science project, if you want to call that complaining. Other than that, not much complaining going on.......for now at least....
default_hehe.gif
..........Is complaining a sin? Not sure, but I'm sure it can get on Gods nerves, like it did with Israel. I mean, the girly man attitudes started as soon as they left Egypt for Christs sake. Complaining can be helpful in some situations where warranted, and I really shouldn't have to give examples since most of you have lived long enough to know.

B

Butterfly

I did not see this thread, but I struggle with complaining at work.
It's quite a negative atmosphere, but people are not treated right ( staff ) the corporate world of care often kicks against what is expected.
I struggle to not join in the moaning, at the root of it all are justifiable reasons.
I struggle with those who do not do their job properly ( on the housekeeping side ) it bugs me that some of us have to work harder to compensate for those who cannot be bothered, and management do nothing about it.
It's interesting to consider if that is wrong or not.
Outside of work I am more content- or am I - it's really challenging to consider.

What about those who have fought for justice though, doesn't that all start with someone seeing something they do not like and decide to complain about it - think of women's rights, if women had just been prepared to be content with what they had, the present world for women would be so different....... So , perhaps, not all grumbling is wrong.
Butterfly

Last edited by a moderator:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since no one else has anything to say about this, then all of us must be with the apostle Paul when he wrote these words:

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" Phil 4:11

Reactions: pia and aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep....We have a pandemic of ‘peace of mind’ breaking out

Reactions: amadeus