Computer Help problem

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I need help with my computer. I think my computer has a virus...though. Today, this morning... (I am on a different computer for the moment)1. My computer keeps on freezing at the very beginning.2. My computer can't even open a single program (especially the internet)3. It appears to me that the computer already had 100% usage.4. Virus Protection program expired.5 Tried system restore, but did nothing...Conclusion, I think my computer is dying.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Swamp Fox;60045)
Can you get in via "Safe Mode?"
I can, but I honestly don't remember how to do it though. All I know that it has to be booted up before normal boot goes up. Am running Windows XP.Nevermind now... I figured again to go back into safe mode... I guess I'll try a system restore from there. No?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Forgot to mention...Topic closed. Of course this doesn't mean you guys have to close a topic. I'm just saying who knows I might need it again.
smile.gif

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Jordan:Sometimes viruses are tricky. I know this happened a week ago and you are probably back to normal, but as Denver suggested, start up in safe mode and then do a restore to get your computer running well enough to run your virus protection program to find it before it does more damage. Programs such as spybot also help. (I also like to look in msconfig to see if there's any weird things starting up as well at boot time)However, some viruses get so out of control that formatting is the only way to do it which is why you always want to keep an up-to-date backup of your personal files, photos, etc. I had one virus so bad that it deleted my restore points. It messed with my desktop properties and background and tried to redirect sites on a search engine. In other words, it also became a browser hijacker so that whatever I typed in it went to something else. Highly dangerous.I was on a hot trail to finding out which files to delete when I booted the computer about 3 days later it said that I had to "activate" windows with Microsoft (in other words, even if I deleted the offending files, they already messed with my registry badly to get a message like this). Enough was enough and I formatted on the spot and had the computer reloaded with the OS, software and personal files within about 2 hours (less time than trying to troubleshoot some more).In the meantime I could still run my computer using the live CD with the Knoppix OS. I could also copy files from windows if I wanted to, but I was already backed up and didn't need to.I'd recommend that version of Linux to anyone--- it runs off the CD without the hard drive and you can still use your system in such an event.A Knoppix CD only costs about 3 or 4 bucks plus shipping charge as the OS is open source and is free (but people are allowed to charge a little to put it on a CD to ship). The operating system is loaded with "office" type programs similar to word and excel. Plus tools and games and several browsers and a lot more.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(tim_from_pa;60681)
Jordan:Sometimes viruses are tricky. I know this happened a week ago and you are probably back to normal, but as Denver suggested, start up in safe mode and then do a restore to get your computer running well enough to run your virus protection program to find it before it does more damage. Programs such as spybot also help. (I also like to look in msconfig to see if there's any weird things starting up as well at boot time)However, some viruses get so out of control that formatting is the only way to do it which is why you always want to keep an up-to-date backup of your personal files, photos, etc. I had one virus so bad that it deleted my restore points. It messed with my desktop properties and background and tried to redirect sites on a search engine. In other words, it also became a browser hijacker so that whatever I typed in it went to something else. Highly dangerous.I was on a hot trail to finding out which files to delete when I booted the computer about 3 days later it said that I had to "activate" windows with Microsoft (in other words, even if I deleted the offending files, they already messed with my registry badly to get a message like this). Enough was enough and I formatted on the spot and had the computer reloaded with the OS, software and personal files within about 2 hours (less time than trying to troubleshoot some more).In the meantime I could still run my computer using the live CD with the Knoppix OS. I could also copy files from windows if I wanted to, but I was already backed up and didn't need to.I'd recommend that version of Linux to anyone--- it runs off the CD without the hard drive and you can still use your system in such an event.A Knoppix CD only costs about 3 or 4 bucks plus shipping charge as the OS is open source and is free (but people are allowed to charge a little to put it on a CD to ship). The operating system is loaded with "office" type programs similar to word and excel. Plus tools and games and several browsers and a lot more.
Wow, a late reply.
biggrin.gif
, about safe mode, I did that, cleaned my C: Drive, then defragment it...It works on safe mode. But on normal mode. My computer now decided to work with one more option left I could think of. Safe Mode with networking... now that works... to me it makes it look like normal mode. But hey it works and I'm fine.
smile.gif
P.S. My virus protection expired long long ago...

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
There's great free virus protection:http://www.avast.comYou can download the home version for free (business version must be paid for).If you can run your computer in safe mode, then the virus is not that serious, probably something in the start up portion of registry, a dll file or something to that effect. I'd nip it in the bud now. Do a restore back to a date BEFORE you know you got the virus (and then load the avast). However, running a computer in safe mode is definitely on the line of weird ways to run a computer, and your hardware may not work properly (such as a printer) as only certain drivers are loaded.