Computer re-build

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rebuilt my computer...

1. Quad core processor
2. 8 GB RAM
3. Windows 7 OS
4. NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 640 Video card 2 GB RAM
5. Extra USB / Card readers on front panel floppy bay
6. 3 SATA Hard Drives
---1 TB 10k WD for the C Drive
---1 TB 7.5k WD for the M Drive (Media)
---3 TB 7.5k for the back up drive

RComputer_zps29500893.jpg

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
Nice rig. You should DL a copy of Ubuntu 14.04 and duel Boot it, you'll be facinated how much faster it runs under 64 bil Lenux d the Linux OSs come with NTFS3 enabling you to read and write to the entire Win Partition. If you install virtual Box and install your copy of 7 there you'll be delighted how much faster it runs by dedicating five gig to the windows leaving just three to the Ubuntu. The five gig run windows only when Virtual Box runs.

There are about seventy thousand free packages that are all professional grade and with Wine it plays windows games as native.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Install an ssd drive as your boot and OS drive and use spinning discs for storage only.

You'll find it is much better than the platters.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
pom2014 said:
Install an ssd drive as your boot and OS drive and use spinning discs for storage only.
You'll find it is much better than the platters.
I agree POM. ..when I upgraded my box to a SSD, my boot time went to about 3 seconds. The only time it takes longer is when Windows updates.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing will ever speed Windows updates. :p

SSD's are the much needed upgrade to the slowest bottleneck of any contemporary computer. You can upgrade processors, RAM and the rest all you want, but nothing beats SSD.

Reactions: Doug_E_Fresh

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you guys clone the hard drive when doing such an upgrade? If so what software do you use?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Most retail SSDs come with cloning software, but I always do a fresh install with a new drive. No use cloning the crap that is already slowing down your system.
Just backup your personal data files on the storage drive. Its a longer process but in the end you get a cleaner and faster system than cloning.
BTW, nice system you got there.

Reactions: HammerStone

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most retail SSDs come with cloning software, but I always do a fresh install with a new drive. No use cloning the crap that is already slowing down your system.
Just backup your personal data files on the storage drive. Its a longer process but in the end you get a cleaner and faster system than cloning.
BTW, nice system you got there.
Sage advice.

I've always just ported what I need. With SS USB (and some of the even faster protocols now), even massive data takes no time to move. We did a local transfer in the same building, and we pushed ~150mb/sec across the network, and we don't use the most expensive stuff, either.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
HammerStone said:
I've always just ported what I need. With SS USB (and some of the even faster protocols now), even massive data takes no time to move. We did a local transfer in the same building, and we pushed ~150mb/sec across the network, and we don't use the most expensive stuff, either.
I have a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller on my PC. It's at least 10 years old, so yes those transfer rates have been available for a long time. I saw the other day that an ISP was offering 1 gig service. This is inevitable given all the multi media content people are now streaming to their systems. I myself have a 50 G DSL service into my house and it handles everything including Netflix, quite well. :)