computers ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a old ,,, old computer and it is becoming ???
loud ??? the big box under the screen.....
I will have to buy a new one,,,, but I see the family all have
lap tops....... So I want that kind...

Were is the best place and cheap place to buy one

Thanks for any help ? :)

Reactions: Nancy

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Google computers and compare prices for shops and on line sellers.

Alternatively having found the specs you want to to a local shop and get it there to support a local trader and for whatever support he can offer.

Reactions: onlyme17

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

In the short term you could replace the power supply if that is the component that is making the excessive noise. If it your hard disk, you could buy a solid state drive and that will speed it up. It is important not to be sucked into buying more computer than what you actually need and use.

onlyme17

Mar 31, 2020
Western Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the short term you could replace the power supply if that is the component that is making the excessive noise. If it your hard disk, you could buy a solid state drive and that will speed it up. It is important not to be sucked into buying more computer than what you actually need and use.

I'm sure that all sounds like speaking in tongues to Grams. She is 84 so her profile page says. Old people don't understand that language :D

Ask me how I know.

Reactions: theophilus

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I'm sure that all sounds like speaking in tongues to Grams. She is 84 so her profile page says. Old people don't understand that language :D

Granted! But you do, and you may be the one who is going to sort the computer out, that is, if you are computer savvy! I am 72, and I can take a computer apart, replace components and put it back together again, so us oldies are not as gar gar as some young folks think we are! :p

Ask me how I know.

Reactions: Willie T

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessings in Christ Jesus! All computers need the proper air flow to remain cool and operating correctly. Over time dust builds up on the inside of the box. If it is getting noisy, it would be wise to remove the cover and vacuum it out. Even if you buy another computer it is wise to have a backup. If you know someone willing to do this for you, it most likely will benefit you.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ask me how I know.
Even so!
@Grams

Tell one of your grandchildren what you want have them help you select something that will fill your needs. Normally going into a computer store [like Staples] would be best for you as you could talk to someone, but with the virus being what it is your best bet might be Walmart, which is surely is open. I don't suggest going into the store until this self-isolation thing is done. Do you trust one of your grandchildren to buy for you what you need?

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well thank you all !!!!!!

My son works at W. M. and I was thinking of getting one there....... but with what is going on now, I guess I will
Have to wait , till this germ ??? is gone......
I see all my family members seem to use lap tops ,,,, so I wanted one any how to be part of the crowd, like every one
else uses this also as far as I know......... thanks again !!! :)

Oh! I will be 84 in June :) :);):confused::eek:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well thank you all !!!!!!

My son works at W. M. and I was thinking of getting one there....... but with what is going on now, I guess I will
Have to wait , till this germ ??? is gone......
I see all my family members seem to use lap tops ,,,, so I wanted one any how to be part of the crowd, like every one
else uses this also as far as I know......... thanks again !!! :)
Don't do it just to be part of the crowd. A laptop is fine. What can be difficult is going with one of those smaller devices if you are used to using a full keyboard.

I learned to type for my job a great many years ago on a non-electric typewriter. So I have always used 10 fingers to type which makes it much faster than typing with one finger or a stylus. I use a full size desktop computer most of the time, but I have a laptop as a backup computer as I have many thousands things saved in my computer I wouldn't want to lose if it decided to die. Everything on my desktop computer is copied into my laptop.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello

I have a lap top computer siting on my desk but I also have a mouse, keyboard and screen connected to the lap top such that I am using the lap top computer as a desk top computer boxy thing, but I also have the advantage that lost of power does not stop me from using the "computer" thingy without my monitor screen for four or five hours until the battery goes flat.

Now what is best to buy really depends on what use you are making of the computer. A tablet may be what you need instead.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a lap top computer siting on my desk but I also have a mouse, keyboard and screen connected to the lap top such that I am using the lap top computer as a desk top computer boxy thing, but I also have the advantage that lost of power does not stop me from using the "computer" thingy without my monitor screen for four or five hours until the battery goes flat.

Now what is best to buy really depends on what use you are making of the computer. A tablet may be what you need instead.
I'm using a tablet right now because I can sit in the armchair nice and comfortable, but using a stylus is slow, and there isn't a proper keyboard. Years ago I had a desk top, but it is cumbersome, and there are wires everywhere. I love my laptop with the wireless mouse and all my serious work, website etc is done on there.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Don't do it just to be part of the crowd. A laptop is fine. What can be difficult is going with one of those smaller devices if you are used to using a full keyboard.

I learned to type for my job a great many years ago on a non-electric typewriter. So I have always used 10 fingers to type which makes it much faster than typing with one finger or a stylus. I use a full size desktop computer most of the time, but I have a laptop as a backup computer as I have many thousands things saved in my computer I wouldn't want to lose if it decided to die. Everything on my desktop computer is copied into my laptop.

You can always can get a separate keyboard and hook it up to a laptop, not sure whether if @Grams old keyboard connection plug would fit to a new laptop. You can do the same if you prefer using a mouse, they also got wireless now, but probably not too fun running out of battery, and on my laptop I still cannot figure out how to get the Bluetooth to work for wireless devices to work with it. Someone else would know better than me though. :p

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

default_hmm.gif
When you say your computer is becoming loud, what exactly are you referring to? Is it the power supply, the case fans, or the fans for your processors? And how old is your computer? What are its specifications?

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, My Husband bought this computer years ago......... He passed away last year...... so he did any thing that needed to be done.
and now I need help from my son,,,,,,,,,,, who has 8 children and is busy enough with them.....
But,,,, may be he will just be kind enough and buy one for me with my money "of course" or one of the older children ?
they start from 21 age.......to 11.......... lots of things going on for him and his wife of course, let alone me!!!!!!
The computer is my ??? company.....

This computer is very old......... It had a small screen , we have a bigger one now........but this takes up a lot of room with that big box under the screen...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you have a Best Buy around you Grams, look for the open box sales. And, their prices are not so bad either :)

Reactions: amadeus

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, My Husband bought this computer years ago......... He passed away last year...... so he did any thing that needed to be done.
and now I need help from my son,,,,,,,,,,, who has 8 children and is busy enough with them.....
But,,,, may be he will just be kind enough and buy one for me with my money "of course" or one of the older children ?
they start from 21 age.......to 11.......... lots of things going on for him and his wife of course, let alone me!!!!!!
The computer is my ??? company.....

This computer is very old......... It had a small screen , we have a bigger one now........but this takes up a lot of room with that big box under the screen...
More than likely the fan is going out which is what keeps the computer from overheating....there aren't any moving parts other than the tower to put discs in.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HEY! I have a bunch of open boxes for FREEEEEE !

But I thought she was looking for something else.....

:)
If you have a Best Buy around you Grams, look for the open box sales. And, their prices are not so bad eithe

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Considering your age, I would strongly recommend getting a desktop computer with a minimum of a 27" screen!!

Reactions: amadeus