Concussions and head injuries

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not looking for medical advice, but sharing something that happened to me.

In late 2004, I fell on the icy pavement at the church I once attended.

Some men of the church helped me to my feet (I think?) and walked me inside the church building.
They put me in one of their dorm rooms on a bed and left me while church service was going on. I could have died. I was in terrible pain, and fell asleep.

They never took me to a doctor. And no one came and checked on me for 2 or 3 hours. They (including my husband) even left me there while they ate their potluck.

The back of my head hit the pavement. My skull was flattened at the point of impact, but I had a large lump on my forehead (which didn't hit the pavement). A ridge arose from the point of impact on back of my skull, to my forehead where the lump was. From what I have gathered, the lump on my forehead was from the impact of my brain jostling against the inside of my skull when my head it the pavement.

I was still expected to work ("volunteer") in the church parochial school and by working, my kids' tuition was reduced by about $15 each per month.

That pain didn't heal for over a year ...and the ridge stayed until my chiropractor fixed it about a year ago. I don't have the ridge anymore where the bones in my skull overlapped after the brain swelling went away.

I know this is an odd post, but I was wondering if any other members have ever experienced severe head injuries or concussions. I have had several, tbh. But this one was the most severe.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..That pain didn't heal for over a year ...and the ridge stayed until my chiropractor fixed it about a year ago. I don't have the ridge anymore where the bones in my skull overlapped after the brain swelling went away.
I know this is an odd post, but I was wondering if any other members have ever experienced severe head injuries or concussions. I have had several, tbh. But this one was the most severe.

At least you're alright now..:)
I was once knocked out for about 15 minutes after a van knocked me off my bicycle and I didn't know what planet I was on for a couple of days but I soon recovered and am alright now like you.

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've suffered several.

When I was two years old, I fell down a staircase and struck my head a number of times on the way down.

When I was four, I fell over a metal railing at a hospital and struck my head on the concrete below (needed stitches).

During my teens I suffered a few concussions from being struck with lumber, a metal pipe, and concrete. This created a bony lump on my upper forehead (permanent).

During my 20s, A minivan struck the front end of a small pickup I was driving. My head struck the inside of the truck, knocking me senseless for a while. Other parts of my parts of my body were bruised from slamming together.

During my 40's, my head was struck multiple times by logs which served as beams in an old barn, was slammed against a school bus and on one occasion when I fell off of a porch, my head slammed into a propane tank.

I don't remember my head hitting that propane tank. A witness did, however.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife's son suffered multiple concussions during his military service. When he got out, he was diagnosed with PTSD and was subject to violent mood swings that wrecked his marriage and his family life and resulted in some jail time. He got some help through the VA and is better now, but I am concerned he may have Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE). Unfortunately, CTE can only be diagnosed posthumously via a brain dissection.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was in highschool and slipped on the concrete in the locker room. The back of my head impacted pretty hard and I was knocked unconscious. I woke up several minutes later. I just went on doing things and didn't notice anything wrong.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had one concussion. I was riding my bicycle to work when I went down; I don't know if I got clipped by a car or skidded in some gravel or what. My helmet straps were not properly adjusted and it came off. That helmet had one job to do, and the one time I needed it, it wasn't there. I remember going to the hospital and being told I had a concussion while a pretty blonde nurse picked pieces of Colorado Highway 119 out of my right buttock cheek.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had one concussion. I was riding my bicycle to work when I went down; I don't know if I got clipped by a car or skidded in some gravel or what. My helmet straps were not properly adjusted and it came off. That helmet had one job to do, and the one time I needed it, it wasn't there. I remember going to the hospital and being told I had a concussion while a pretty blonde nurse picked pieces of Colorado Highway 119 out of my right buttock cheek.
Talk about backside injuries. My Dad bought me a Honda CR-80 motorbike as a kid. I was riding it at about 30-40 mph on gravel and it slid out from under me. I ended up with the bike on top of me and my backside grinding against the gravel. My backside ended up super bloody. Not fun.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Lambano Great that the Lord was merciful to you also...

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was in highschool and slipped on the concrete in the locker room. The back of my head impacted pretty hard and I was knocked unconscious. I woke up several minutes later. I just went on doing things and didn't notice anything wrong.
Ol devin just got back up and marched onwards .

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lambano , i dont care what the pope says about ya , You know i loves ya .
Sigh. Has Francis been talking about me again? Some nun needs to smack him on the wrist with a ruler, teach him not to gossip.:D

(Buddy of mine went to a Catholic school. He says you really don't want to p***-off a nun.)

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sigh. Has Francis been talking about me again? Some nun needs to smack him on the wrist with a ruler, teach him not to gossip.:D

(Buddy of mine went to a Catholic school. He says you really don't want to p***-off a nun.)
Lets put it this way , If pope francis knew i existed , He would consider me a nation wide threat to true chrsitanity .
I seen the things that man hints at , my advice , just cause he is nice DONT MEAN WE GOTTA BELIEVE THE LIE .

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I felt off a bike as a child. Probably hit my head...
I banged heads with a girl in youth group. Sports are great huh ..

And then i hit my head at home .. my nose was bleeding and i felt sick

Not once did i go see a doctor for it.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have been knocked unconscious, twice. Playing softball with friends, I pitched the ball which hit me in the head off the bat. Went to sleep, woke up on the ground. Luckily not much injury.

The other time was at a concert with crowd surfing. There are times when people jump off the stage expecting someone to catch them and everyone moves. They hit the ground. Something like that happened to me, I landed on my head. Unconscious for a few seconds. Woke up with people helping me to my feet. Couldn't stand up straight, it seemed like the whole world was moving and swaying.

Thankfully no injury afaik. Very lucky in both cases.

There's an urban legend that says brain damage is irreversible. Which is being proven false in recent times. Brain damage can apparently be reversed to a degree and people can recover from it. Military veterans suffering from PTSD and traumatic brain injuries have shown incredible improvement being treated with psilocybin micro dosing. There are many studies and news articles published on the topic, circulating around the internet. Even boxer Mike Tyson went so far as to say it saved his life.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If possible, have a neurologist take a look.

My Junior year of High School, I was knocked out in every one of our football games. I know I had concussions. Because of that experience ....I insisted that my wife see a neurologist when she fell backwards, landed on her back and slammed her head into the concrete sidewalk. She refused to go to the Doctor. Headaches, back problems ....finally her Doctor told me, all and have an ambulance bring her in ...She had a small stroke. The Nuerologist found it.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i would like to also state that mental illnesses, trauma, and some physical illnesses can lead to brain injuries.....