Condoms and non catholic Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vid

May 12, 2021
France
stephanepautrot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Hi,

I'm Catholic and, for us, using a condom is a sin. I haven't been able to find any Bible verse advocating that point of view though and, according to a number of Catholics I interrogated, it seems that the ban on condoms simply comes from the Vatican without further explanation.

I would therefore like to know where non catholic Christians stand on the usage of condoms.

Thanks.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

I'm Catholic and, for us, using a condom is a sin. I haven't been able to find any Bible verse advocating that point of view though and, according to a number of Catholics I interrogated, it seems that the ban on condoms simply comes from the Vatican without further explanation.

I would therefore like to know where non catholic Christians stand on the usage of condoms.

Thanks.
I moved your thread to the Christian Newbies Forum for now...I can't decide where it belongs.
Of course it isn't in the Bible because they didn't exist back then.

Reactions: Emily Nghiem

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks.
I was just thinking about this earlier on and this doesn't make any sense, I mean what if you have enough kids and can't handle any more? Strange doctrine me thinks.

Reactions: April_Rose

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The concept itself actually did exist and is actually mentioned in the book of Enoch, I believe. Yeah, I know people get all itchy if you mention a book that's not official canon, but if you're interested, it's worth checking out.

It does imply that it's a sin to use the equivalent of contraception so I guess God doesn't want us enjoying such activity simply for the sheer pleasure of the high. (My guess)

It describes the fallen angels teaching man how to make certain liquid concoctions that block the possibility of conception.

I'll find the exact chapter and verse for those who dare to consider the source.

(For the record, Enoch is referenced in the Bible; multiple times, I believe. That makes it worthy of study to me.)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks.
Try this! There are some others I believe that the Catholic Church used, but this is a start in that direction as a condom prevents multiplying and replenishing the earth:

"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." Gen 1:28

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This information 'grazes' the subject, but doesn't appear to get into specifics.
https://www.sbl-site.org/assets/pdfs/lesses.pdf

It appears that it's actually in the book of Jasher (another non-canonical, but referenced in the Bible multiple times)
unfortunately I cannot locate the exact chapter and verse.

Vid

May 12, 2021
France
stephanepautrot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Thank you all for your responses.

I was just thinking about this earlier on and this doesn't make any sense, I mean what if you have enough kids and can't handle any more? Strange doctrine me thinks.
According to Catholic Church, you're supposed to have sex ONLY if you want to conceive.

It describes the fallen angels teaching man how to make certain liquid concoctions that block the possibility of conception.
How interesting! Some kind of an ancient pill!

"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." Gen 1:28
That makes sense. Even nowadays, on an overpopulated Earth, I understand Catholic Church might want more Christians so they would outnumber other religions. Now I don't understand why having no kids is not frowned upon. Chastity even seems to be considered very spiritual.

It appears that it's actually in the book of Jasher (another non-canonical, but referenced in the Bible multiple times)
unfortunately I cannot locate the exact chapter and verse.
Great! I had never heard of the book of Jasher. I'll have a look. I'm actually interested in the fallen angels and I was frustrated the Bible says so little about them. It would be interesting if the Vatican relied on non canonical scriptures without saying it.

This brings another topic that I've wondering about. I'll open a new thread if necessary but maybe some of you know: who decided which scriptures were included in the Bible and which scriptures were left out?

Taodeching

Apr 8, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks.

Actually God said procreate He did not say to stop it through artificial means. When a men in the Bible stopped it he died, so the Vatican is right and as a Catholic you should know that not everything is in the Bible and that the foundation and pillar of truth is the Church. 1 Timothy 3:15

Reactions: dev553344

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I moved your thread to the Christian Newbies Forum for now...I can't decide where it belongs.
Of course it isn't in the Bible because they didn't exist back then.
They used withdrawal method (Genesis 38) and that action wasn't condemned in itself, it was his disobedience to God that was condemned. In other words, preventing a pregnancy isn't a sin unless God your name is Onan.

Birth control has been around a lot longer than we think. A tbs of seeds from queen Anne's lace (NOT hemlock) is a popular method that has been used for a long time.

I think it's irresponsible to not have something.

First of all, the Bible says a man who does not provide for his household is worse than an unbeliever, but it also says that a man and wife should not withhold from one another.

Put those two together, can anyone really provide for his household of 20 kids and still the couple be satisfied all of the time?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Catholic Church, you're supposed to have sex ONLY if you want to conceive.

Interesting as that doesn't appear to reflect bible teaching on the subject. Which spells out maariage for people that can't contain their sexual desires.

1 Corinthians 7:9
“But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.”

Reactions: DuckieLady

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I Pope JP 2 pointed out about Africa and using out of date ones being a problem and also that the AIDS virus can pass through a new condom anyway, because such is smaller than the holes in the rubber, you can see such under a microscope that the rubber is not solid, such has voids somewhat like a net you could say.
Now it would be better to have one than not because the chance of contracting AIDS would be less likely, but not out of the question to be 100% safe.

I used much the same type of rubber with gloves in my job grouting in with cement or epoxy for years and I know that such chemicals can leach through such rubber latex gloves, not to mention they are much thicker. their is other types of plastic gloves as well that we use to prevent such as epoxy nowadays, even tho epoxy has advanced from the early days making such much safer, but in the days before rubber gloves the epoxy can leach into your skin and get into you blood and then they died, not to mention other chemicals that they once used under concrete housing slabs, if you jackhammer through that and touch the soil etc with your bear hands chances are you are as good as dead.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be interesting if the Vatican relied on non canonical scriptures without saying it.
You may be onto something there. ;)
This brings another topic that I've wondering about. I'll open a new thread if necessary but maybe some of you know: who decided which scriptures were included in the Bible and which scriptures were left out?

It was called the Council of Nicea in 325 a.d. Read up on it - it's interesting. From what I understand, they moved a selection of books called the Apocryphal books to be positioned between the Old Testament and the New Testament, designating them as non-canonical. Then they were later completely removed. There were many other books, Enoch, Jasher, Jubilees, Testament of Solomon, etc. that were removed completely by the Council.

The Council of Nicea was basically the early Roman Catholic Church.

King James (The King James Bible) declared a decree in his time (early 1600's) that anybody who printed a Bible without the Apocrypha would be imprisoned. Sometime later those books were removed.

Reactions: Vid

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The concept itself actually did exist and is actually mentioned in the book of Enoch, I believe. Yeah, I know people get all itchy if you mention a book that's not official canon, but if you're interested, it's worth checking out.

It does imply that it's a sin to use the equivalent of contraception so I guess God doesn't want us enjoying such activity simply for the sheer pleasure of the high. (My guess)

I'll find the exact chapter and verse for those who dare to consider the source.

(For the record, Enoch is referenced in the Bible; multiple times, I believe. That makes it worthy of study to me.)
I have the Book of Enoch downloaded to my computer. It is where I first discovered Noah was an albino.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I did a little research as to why it was left out and the main reason is they couldn't verify the authenticity of the author and it had too much about fallen angles in it.
I was just reading last night in chapter 11 I think about how the angels wrote out a petition and asked Enoch to deliver it to God.....because they were banished from entering His presence forever....but God denied their petition because their judgment was already sealed.

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I knew a couple that had a kid. They didn't want more so one of them got fixed. Guess what? They had another kid. So the second got fixed. Guess what? They had a third. What surprised me was that they got divorced.
MAKE SENSE OUT OF THAT!
No thank you. I'd rather read Enoch. Much more entertaining. Lol! :)

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think people have a right to choose birth control, or not. In the early 20th century contraception was illegal in America.

I think the RRCC needs to reconsider their stance on birth control.
If they did so I believe there would be fewer dying newborns in third world countries, like Africa, where Catholic missionaries serve and promote that teaching.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks.
The Catholic teaching against condomns is a Catholic Church Holy Tradition thing.

Other Christians groups don’t have issues with it, and most also don’t have issues with birth control pills either.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think that whenever the church sticks it's nose into a couple's private life, they are abusing it's authority.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That makes sense. Even nowadays, on an overpopulated Earth...
"Overpopulated earth" is another myth from the makers of "sustainable development" (which means absolutely nothing).

Take Saudi Arabia as an example. What is the total population? about 35 million. What is the area in square km? 2.15 million sq km. Since 1 sq km = 247 acres, that is over 531 million acres of land. Which means every person could have 15 acres of land. City dwellers need a tiny fraction of that. Can deserts be converted into arable land? Absolutely. Israel has done it. All Palestinians could live on the Arabian Peninsula and thrive in luxury, if all those billions of dollars had gone towards giving them a viable homeland on this peninsula. They would not need a measly Gaza Strip or West Bank.