Contradiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 4:4 KJV
[4] Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

1 John 2:15 KJV
[15] Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

John 3:16 KJV
[16] For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 John 4:14 KJVj
[14] And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

o_O

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[4] Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

[15] Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

[16] For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

[14] And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

o_O
No contradiction.

God loved the world for the sake of the lost. But if we who are of the world love the world, we are not lost, but have strayed by choice.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

o_O
VJ, first thanks for the post. let's see if we can give an example. you have a child and the child goes anti social. he or she commit adultery, lie, even commit murder, do you still LOVE your child? yes, but do you LOVE what your child is doing? NO. would you not want to SAVE your child from all those things? yes. must we continue?.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about 1 Timothy 4:10 KJV
[10] For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Greek: μάλιστα
Transliteration: malista
Pronunciation: mal'-is-tah
Definition: Neuter plural of the superlative of an apparently primary adverb μάλα mala (very); (adverb) most (in the greatest degree) or particularly: - chiefly most of all (e-) specially.

Nevermind:
1 Timothy 5:8 KJV gives clarity.
[8] But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about 1 Timothy 4:10 KJV
[10] For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Greek: μάλιστα
Transliteration: malista
Pronunciation: mal'-is-tah
Definition: Neuter plural of the superlative of an apparently primary adverb μάλα mala (very); (adverb) most (in the greatest degree) or particularly: - chiefly most of all (e-) specially.
Thanks, Great, you Go, this is just what I'm saying. we're all God's children, obedient one as well as disobedient one, (he love them also and want them save also). do not our Father allow his sunshine to shine on the just as well as the unjust. did he not CREATE EVERYTHING, (the Good the bad, and the ugly... :p). supportive scripture, John 1:3 "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made". so everything is his even the cattle on the hill. everything is his, the dirt, the water, the air. yes he love all of it for he created it, and said that it is good. sin entered, and that' why he died for "HIS CREATION". how great and good is our GOD. glory to him.

PS, glad to see you're using that dictionary........ (smile).

be blessed in Christ JESUS.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
VictoryinJesus said:
Contradiction?

1 John 3
1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

• If there is a contradiction, then it is between God and the World (people of this world).
God is Holy. God is Righteous.

I was born in sin(ps 51:5), I can never be righteous on my own. If I love this world, then I would become one of this world. Because my love is filled with the nature of sin and it is not love at all. I am a sinner and even this world is sinful.

If when God loved this world, His love was actually love, because God himself is Love. (1John 4:8,2 John 1:6)​

• If there is a contradiction then it is between the Love of God and the love of this world.
Psalm 11
7 For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

The love of God made a difference, and how much was this difference? .....Huge ......everlasting?

The love of this world is sin always leading to distruction.
James 4
1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
1 John 2
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Ezekiel 18
32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

All glory to God.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:10-11 KJV
[10] For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

[11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
For me it means: labour until you enter into His rest. What does it say to you? What is His rest?
well, i guess one way to put that is being content with nothing. But imo the interesting part is the dichotomy in the two vv, implying "cease from (one's own) works," but "labor" to get to that point.

Iow a practical impossibility, or at least we have to recog that one cannot simultaneously do both; and there is a confession inherent in doing the second one, as by definition one infers that they are then not doing the first one, right.

And while you maybe read "no more works after you find rest," i would point out that the passage does not say that, exactly.

And we even have euphemisms like "doing the right thing for the wrong reasons," etc, for these concepts.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

o_O

I guess that means Christmas (since its coming up). Oh, how the world loves Christmas. Anything the world celebrates can't be biblical.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that means Christmas (since its coming up). Oh, how the world loves Christmas. Anything the world celebrates can't be biblical.

The merchants love Christmas also.

Matthew 2:11 KJV
[11] And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, i guess one way to put that is being content with nothing. But imo the interesting part is the dichotomy in the two vv, implying "cease from (one's own) works," but "labor" to get to that point.

Iow a practical impossibility, or at least we have to recog that one cannot simultaneously do both; and there is a confession inherent in doing the second one, as by definition one infers that they are then not doing the first one, right.

And while you maybe read "no more works after you find rest," i would point out that the passage does not say that, exactly.

And we even have euphemisms like "doing the right thing for the wrong reasons," etc, for these concepts.

Ah, there are those "works" again.

Luke 14:28 KJV
[28] For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it ?

John 6:7-13 KJV
[7] Philip answered him, Two hundred pennyworth of bread is not sufficient for them, that every one of them may take a little. [8] One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, saith unto him, [9] There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many? [10] And Jesus said, Make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand. [11] And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would. [12] When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost. [13] Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.

Exodus 36:6-7 KJV
[6] And Moses gave commandment, and they caused it to be proclaimed throughout the camp, saying, Let neither man nor woman make any more work for the offering of the sanctuary. So the people were restrained from bringing. [7] For the stuff they had was sufficient for all the work to make it, and too much.

HIS grace is sufficient.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we start out to do an impossible thing for God, we may find that we cannot, because we are leaning to heavily on ourselves. Alone we not have the skill nor the strength to accomplish it:

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Prov 3:5-6

Solomon wrote those words about 1000 years before Jesus was born in Bethlehem and they remain true today.

We must lean on Him, but we also must put our all into to it. We cannot sit back and wait for God to everything.

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; ..." Ecc 9:10-11

Put everything you've got into it even while understanding that it is one of those impossible things. As we work and lean heavily on Him, then the grace of God kicks in to accomplish the absolutely impossible. There are not too many who do the impossible these days, because not too many are really trying. Even among believers, they have too much unbelief. They need to follow the example of this man:

"And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.
When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him." Mark 9:22-25

We see Jesus many times healing people but this one example is written into scripture to let us know that sometimes we need to come to Him with our insufficient faith and ask Him to help us. The man did not come with nothing. Rather he came with what he had. We should do the same and then let Him provide whatever is lacking.

Reactions: bbyrd009

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me it means: labour until you enter into His rest. What does it say to you? What is His rest?
I have never thought about this before but in looking back there was work or striving involved in my entering Gods rest, His rest being salvation, we also work after salvation but this work is not for salvation but for loving others. In other words once we enter Gods salvation/rest there is no more work for that, it has been completed by Christ.

Last edited:

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

o_O

What is in the world? Lust and pride, it's how the world operates. As believers, do we not have the love of the Father and think differently from the world? Whatever we get from the world, it passes but who we are in Christ, is eternal.

For God so loved the world is such a powerful statement! He loved us so much with a sacrificial love! The world was so condemned and guilty and He provided a way for us to be free from the condemnation and guilt, John 3:17.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

o_O

nope no contradiction at all:

what God does

and what God tells you to do

also there is no comparison to God's Love and what He does out of His Love, and man's love for. the Almighty Most High God isn't required to do as He tells His creation to do.