Correction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have discussed better ways to confront people and offer correction in a manner in which a person can actually listen......

I am sitting in a coffee place right now and a father is confronting his daughter about her behavior. He is basically trying to warn her that her behavior is ungodly and will lead to ruin - she is possibly drunk and pretty much rolling her eyes, which is pissing him off. He is invoking God, throwing around scripture, and demonizing every bad decision and danger, real and imagined.

He is sincere and who knows, she might be listening - she isn’t leaving. I can hear the fear in his voice. And the fact that I can hear it is the problem......l

It is not the content of his message or his tone or anything he is doing that is turning her away....it is the public nature of the sermon.

It reminds me that first, parenting is hard, and that confronting anyone is a delicate process, which can go wrong quickly. Embarrassing a person you are confronting is dooming all efforts.

I mention this because I see it happening all the time here.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have discussed better ways to confront people and offer correction in a manner in which a person can actually listen......

I am sitting in a coffee place right now and a father is confronting his daughter about her behavior. He is basically trying to warn her that her behavior is ungodly and will lead to ruin - she is possibly drunk and pretty much rolling her eyes, which is pissing him off. He is invoking God, throwing around scripture, and demonizing every bad decision and danger, real and imagined.

He is sincere and who knows, she might be listening - she isn’t leaving. I can hear the fear in his voice. And the fact that I can hear it is the problem......l

It is not the content of his message or his tone or anything he is doing that is turning her away....it is the public nature of the sermon.

It reminds me that first, parenting is hard, and that confronting anyone is a delicate process, which can go wrong quickly. Embarrassing a person you are confronting is dooming all efforts.

Yet sometimes I think we worry too much about emotions and feelings and never speak the truth.

Reactions: Enow

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually MANY are not able to receive the truth. That's why Jesus said "He who has ears to hear..."

hmm....

so what’s the answer? It seems like you are saying some people are meant to hear and others are meant not to hear. If this is truly the case, how can it be just to resent those who are created not to hear?

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm....

so what’s the answer? It seems like you are saying some people are meant to hear and others are meant not to hear. If this is truly the case, how can it be just to resent those who are created not to hear?
Yes some are created to hear, others are not and will never hear. I don't understand the second part of your question.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm....

Some are also created to be cocky, pious, sanctimonious, arrogant, puffed up, contentious, feel free to ad to the list,

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
People need to exercise wisdom, and some do not. Also wisdom comes from above. Chances are both father are daughter need Christ before they can deal with this situation.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
hmm....

Nail on the head Ron...he is a Calvinist...obviously :)

Reactions: Nancy and aspen
B

brakelite

We are nearing the end of time. The second coming looms large on the horizon, although of course not everyone here believes that. I do. And the time has come that truth must be presented regardless of people's personal "safe places". There is really no time to pussy foot around. The world is even now entering that time when people's hearts are failing them for fear, and are in perplexity as to what to do, believe, and think, desperate for answers and solutions. And it's going to get worse.
Not excusing that father with his daughter
however. Truth must be told, but not in such a manner that publically shames individuals. Jesus always taught truth, but His personal compassion and love always made the individual feel accepted and loved. Except for the hypocritical religious bigots. Somitimes public shaming is their only wake up call.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have finally finished reading and re-reading Calvin's Institutes.... for the fourth time... and I still feel he was one very sick individual.

wow!

I sloughed thought it once and that was enough.

although I agree Calvin was off, even he would flip out over the hyperCalvinists out there today - here’s looking at you Mr. White.

Last edited:
Reactions: DNB and Nancy

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes some are created to hear, others are not and will never hear. I don't understand the second part of your question.

the second part

if people were created for Hell:

1. How can they be held responsible for their behavior?
2. Why are we called to witness to them or anyone else?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Aspen. Yes, some attempts to correct online need to be moderated, but there is a place for "sharp rebuke" as Paul has it in this passage. I especially favour this instruction when confronted with professing Christians in fellowship whose contradictory remarks mean they cannot call themselves Bible-believers, similar to the Cretans mentioned below.
Tit 1:7-14
(7) For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,
(8) but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled,
(9) holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.
(10) For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision,
(11) whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole households, teaching things which they ought not, for the sake of dishonest gain.
(12) One of them, a prophet of their own, said, "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."
(13) This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,
(14) not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.

Reactions: reformed1689