Could an Artificial intelligence have a soul?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pencil5508

Apr 9, 2023
arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last year a friend and i were discussing if a A.I. had the same level of intelligence and awareness as a human would it have a soul? My friend says no because that would imply that man could create a soul, i say yes because i think god would give the ai a soul because the purpose of a afterlife is to ensure every consciousness is accounted for and it isn't just "lights out".

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Automakers like tesla exaggerate the capabilities of AI to encourage investors and venture capitalists to throw money at them.

Eventually results fail to meet expectations and the bubble pops.

Pencil5508

Apr 9, 2023
arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Automakers like tesla exaggerate the capabilities of AI to encourage investors and venture capitalists to throw money at them.

Eventually results fail to meet expectations and the bubble pops.
I was speaking hypothetically, no worries though im still interested in what you have to say.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was speaking hypothetically, no worries though im still interested in what you have to say.

Over the last 20 years, some researchers have claimed human consciousness functions on a quantum level where it achieves 10^18 calculations per second. While initially met with skepticism this has become more widely accepted over time. If the mind functions as a quantum process it could invoke abstracts involving a soul.

Which could mean AI can never have a soul until the day comes when quantum transistors and CPUs emerge. There being no patented designs for quantum transistors, which might someday replace silicon transistors. The answer would appear to be a negative.

Pencil5508

Apr 9, 2023
arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Over the last 20 years, some researchers have claimed human consciousness functions on a quantum level where it achieves 10^18 calculations per second. If the mind functions as a quantum process it could invoke abstracts involving a soul.

Which could mean AI can never have a soul until the day comes when quantum transistors and CPUs are developed. There being no patented designs for quantum transistors, which might someday replace silicon transistors. The answer would appear to be a negative.
Oh okay, so lets just say for the fun of it that if a ai was somehow on the same level of a human being would it have a soul?

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh okay, so lets just say for the fun of it that if a ai was somehow on the same level of a human being would it have a soul?

From a christian perspective, a person's soul comes from the moment God blew life into Adam's body.

Machines or AI lacking a similar precedent, would also appear to represent a negative.

Modern computers and AI could be considered advanced versions of an abacus. They make calculations to emulate functions of intelligence. But human consciousness has yet to be emulated.

Pencil5508

Apr 9, 2023
arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From a christian perspective, a person's soul comes from the moment God blew life into Adam's body.

Machines or AI lacking a similar precedent, would also appear to represent a negative.

Modern computers and AI could be considered advanced versions of an abacus. They make calculations to emulate functions of intelligence. But human consciousness has yet to be emulated.
Yes i understand that, what im asking is that if ai were on the same exact level as a human consciousness then would it have a soul?

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes i understand that, what im asking is that if ai were on the same exact level as a human consciousness then would it have a soul?

If a machine could exhibit human consciousness. I think it would have a soul.

There was a movement to push for AI having basic rights and freedoms inspired by science fiction author Isaac Asimov. Aside from that there hasn't been much debate or discussion on the topic, that I have seen.

Pencil5508

Apr 9, 2023
arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a machine could exhibit human consciousness. I think it would have a soul.

There was a movement to push for AI having basic rights and freedoms inspired by science fiction author Isaac Asimov. Aside from that there hasn't been much debate or discussion on the topic, that I have seen.
Interesting.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Last year a friend and i were discussing if a A.I. had the same level of intelligence and awareness as a human would it have a soul? My friend says no because that would imply that man could create a soul, i say yes because i think god would give the ai a soul because the purpose of a afterlife is to ensure every consciousness is accounted for and it isn't just "lights out".
IMHO, AI cannot have a soul because it is not human. Test tube babies would have souls because they were originally made up of male and female elements applicable to life. There is no evidence to prove that AIs have souls.

The bible tells us - Hebrews 2
16 For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. 17 Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

The bible tells us that mankind has sinned and fall short of the glory of God. How can an AI be classified as a sinner or be covered by God's grace through faith? How also, can the Holy Spirit dwell within an AI? JM2c :IDK:

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no evidence to prove that AIs have souls.

The closest thing I can think of is in ezekiel.

I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, 5 and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was human, 6 but each of them had four faces and four wings. 7 Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. 8 Under their wings on their four sides they had human hands. All four of them had faces and wings, 9 and the wings of one touched the wings of another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.

Ezekiel 1

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The closest thing I can think of is in ezekiel.

I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, 5 and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was human, 6 but each of them had four faces and four wings. 7 Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. 8 Under their wings on their four sides they had human hands. All four of them had faces and wings, 9 and the wings of one touched the wings of another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.

Ezekiel 1

The above description is not an A.I. This was Ezekiels first vision. What he saw were cherubim (Angelic Beings) which were identified in Ezekiel 10:20

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above description is not an A.I. This was Ezekiels first vision. What he saw were cherubim (Angelic Beings) which were identified in Ezekiel 10:20

More from Ezekiel 1.

13 The appearance of the living creatures was like burning coals of fire or like torches. Fire moved back and forth among the creatures; it was bright, and lightning flashed out of it. 14 The creatures sped back and forth like flashes of lightning.

15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. 16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

19 When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose. 20 Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. 21 When the creatures moved, they also moved; when the creatures stood still, they also stood still; and when the creatures rose from the ground, the wheels rose along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.

The last line from ezekiel 1:21: "the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels".

Might suggest machines like a wheel can contain a spirit or a soul.

Which might allow a deduction whereby AI might have a spirit or soul.

(That's a lot of mights but never claimed concrete evidence was available only a slim potential loophole...)

I really need to read through the bible again in its entirety. Its been too long and my knowledge is slipping.

Last edited:

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My guess is that God gives souls to all or some of his living creations and I say "some" because it's possible that he doesn't give souls to mosquitoes, but I cannot say for sure. My guess is that God does NOT give souls to machines.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The last line from ezekiel 1:21: "the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels".

Might suggest machines like a wheel can contain a spirit or a soul.

Which might allow a deduction whereby AI might have a spirit or soul.

Not if what Ezekiel is describing is a vision of angels as per Ezekiel 10:20. Can you truly tell me that you understand the Book of Revelation enough to state the wheels have the power to house a soul? Even though this vision was not about A.I.? :IDK: