Critical thinking and education is linked to loss of faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Generally, the more religious one is, the less educated they are. Those who happen to be both educated and religious such as theologians, are largely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest-victims of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics. They can easily apply their critical thinking skills to all other forms of magical thinking and religious beliefs separate from their own, but fail to apply the same reasoning to their own beliefs. Now of course religious zealots will mention the commonly over-used and stale argument of the Catholic Church being behind most of the world’s scientific advancements and education, but that in itself is a form of post hoc fallacy. Deconstructing is by no means easy, but this lady has done it here after many years of being a Christian:

Reactions: Mr E

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your answer is found here . . .

1 Corinthians 1:18-31 KJV
18) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19) For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20) Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21) For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22) For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23) But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24) But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25) Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26) For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27) But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28) And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29) That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30) But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31) That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Much love!

Lapidem

Jan 30, 2021
DinglyDell
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Critical thinking doesn't necessarily destroy faith. Rather it channels it in the right directions. Critical thinking exposes the lies of mainstream religion, dispels the illusions many are caught under from childhood indoctrination. It allows one to refocus and explore new avenues that otherwise they would never have been aware of.

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Your answer is found here . . .

1 Corinthians 1:18-31 KJV
18) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19) For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20) Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21) For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22) For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23) But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24) But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25) Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26) For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27) But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28) And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29) That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30) But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31) That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Much love!
Same book that claims people lived to be 900?

Reactions: marks

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Critical thinking doesn't necessarily destroy faith. Rather it channels it in the right directions. Critical thinking exposes the lies of mainstream religion, dispels the illusions many are caught under from childhood indoctrination. It allows one to refocus and explore new avenues that otherwise they would never have been aware of.
Then why do majority of believers lose their faith as they step into higher levels of education?

• Haha
Reactions: The Learner

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Generally, the more religious one is, the less educated they are. Those who happen to be both educated and religious such as theologians, are largely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest-victims of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics. They can easily apply their critical thinking skills to all other forms of magical thinking and religious beliefs separate from their own, but fail to apply the same reasoning to their own beliefs. Now of course religious zealots will mention the commonly over-used and stale argument of the Catholic Church being behind most of the world’s scientific advancements and education, but that in itself is a form of post hoc fallacy. Deconstructing is by no means easy, but this lady has done it here after many years of being a Christian:

i havent gotten a chance to read down to here, but i suggest that faith may not be lost so much as beliefs?
although i could be off there
Then why do majority of believers lose their faith as they step into higher levels of education?
bc they identified their "faith" (as a noun) with their beliefs, maybe?
for an example, they were taught to literally believe ppl lived to 900 years old, etc, rather than understanding the spiritual allegory that is likely involved

Reactions: The Learner

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Same book that claims people lived to be 900?
And even older than that. Yes.

The same book that claims God made you, and claims that He owns you, and claims that He will judge you. Yes, that's right.

And claims that there is a way to be at peace with God. If you want that.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What leads you to say that? Based on what evidence? There is a lot of brainwashing going on in schools, and those who are "name only" Christians may decide to take a different identification.

Howerer, you are claiming that believers lose their faith. I don't think you can know that. I think that is fake news. I don't think actually believers are being correctly identified.

This is a complex question, by definition a Logical Fallacy.

BTW . . . this post is an example of Critical Reasoning. No, it does not cause me to lose my faith. But it does help me to see through these sorts fallacies.

Much love!

Lapidem

Jan 30, 2021
DinglyDell
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
They lose their faith in the lies of mainstream religion that they were indoctrinate din from childhood.

Doesn't mean they lose their faith elsewhere.

Critical thinking is a good thing. A vital thing. It protects us from being exploited and duped. Everyone should exercise critical thinking. Unfortunately ego and piousness cause many to ignore critical thinking. They can't cope with the notion that they've been duped into religious indoctrination which holds no water and would prefer to stay in that comfort zone than face harsh reality.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
They lose their faith in the lies of mainstream religion that they were indoctrinate din from childhood.

Critical thinking is a good thing. A vital thing. It protects us from being exploited and duped. Everyone should exercise critical thinking. Unfortunately ego and piousness cause many to ignore critical thinking. They can't cope with the notion that they've been duped into religious indoctrination which holds no water and would prefer to stay in that comfort zone than face harsh reality.
after all, who would give ten % of their hard-earned for the Awful Truth? :)

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

While I agree, I like going a step further and saying that all religion is exploitive. There is no mainstream vs. true religion. Faith and critical thinking don’t mix. These theologians have caught onto new ways of evangelizing people by only speaking like an educated person. To the less educated masses, these theologians appear to be experts.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
God only owns and judges though with a fragile enough mentality to believe such a thing. Empty threats of how I will bow down and confess/be judged/tremble in the glory of God are far too common. It sounds pretty childish and salty to me because the other person knows they have no power to do so, so they need an imaginary God to judge me after death.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
God only owns and judges though with a fragile enough mentality to believe such a thing. Empty threats of how I will bow down and confess/be judged/tremble in the glory of God are far too common. It sounds pretty childish and salty to me because the other person knows they have no power to do so, so they need an imaginary God to judge me after death.
well, dunno about imaginary, i would understand the intent in The fool has said in his heart "There is no God," which may just mean "you are assuming something as fact that you cannot prove," but yeh religious ppl (which Jesus even clowned) are like the last ones on earth i would goto for Bible understanding

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who happen to be both educated and religious such as theologians, are largely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest
LOL

So, your theory is those who reject God are bastions of honesty and forthrightness, like those pervayors of gloom and doom about the 'rona?

Attachments

• Survival Rates.png
    Survival Rates.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 0

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
LOL

So, your theory is those who reject God are bastions of honesty and forthrightness, like those pervayors of gloom and doom about the 'rona?
We don’t reject God because we can’t reject something there is no evidence of. It’s like me accusing you of not committing a crime, non-sequitur much? Your argument hinges on the premise that God actually exists. Now I’ve read your mental gymnastics regarding “evidence”, I see what you do. It may work on those less educated and make you appear more knowledgeable than necessary. Either that or Dunning-Krueger syndrome or even both.

The funny part is that despite hoping that believers would be right as a form of giving them the benefit of the doubt, I, for the life of me due to my integrity, cannot stoop as far as being intellectually dishonest to the point of saying God is real just because I wish he is. That’s what you do. You wish your God is real so you start with claiming he is instead of having the humility in admitting that you don’t really know. Instead of saying something like, “God -could- be real, here are the reasons why”, you start with saying “Here is why he is real.” That is not how an honest scientist proceeds.

Case in point: we wish many things to be real. I wouldn’t doubt that you wish you could have a million sitting in your bank account as we speak, yet you would probably have enough humility to admit that you don’t. But when it comes to God, ohhhh boy are you going to apply some mental gymnastics to that one. And even after reading this, it will still slip your mind because the epistemic knowledge just isn’t there. The force of magical thinking outweighs your critical thinking capabilities just a tad.

Last edited:

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You’re drowning in evidence.

We’ve already covered this. But why you are an atheist s an odd response to deflect from the lying done by Atheists.
Calling it evidence doesn’t make it evidence, stop lying. All you have left from this point forward is ad hominems because if me and others say that what you call evidence isn’t actually evidence, then we all have poor judgement according to you. Maybe you have poor judgement regarding what evidence is and isn’t instead. According to you, our parameters for evidence are flawed and unreasonable which is really just you projecting your unreasonable claims. You’ve learned one or two things about logic and reason and then you turn around and use those tools to fool others who are ripe enough, even worse-you could also be grifting. That video of Ken Ham you posted, he’s a huge grifter with his arc paid for by tax payer money after fleecing the town around it. Only a grifter would promote such a grifter.

You know what though? You could also be drowning in evidence of the Winged Rabbit. My faith in the Winged Rabbit is evidence for its existence. Is that not the same reasoning you mentioned regarding faith and God? I thought so.