Cryptocurrency General Thread

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Believe in Jesus Christ to be saved. Thus all people will go to Heaven, whether or not they invest in “cryptocurrencies”. Even though the whole world will be saved, we still should protect the world that we have right now. The pain that people feel, the suffering they go through, that’s real. That’s my motivation to spreading the Gospel of Christian Universalism.
1 John 2:2: "He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world."

Legally, I do not give any advice when it comes to the usage of cyptocurrencies and other Bitcoins. There’s a lot of political talk and legislation, regulations about it as shown by this article:
Bitcoin and cryptocurrency regulations in 2022: Taxes, laws and licenses
I make this post to highlight the negatives and dangers of using bitcoin, as a warning to people and to protect them from scams and harm. I say these words with kindness.

Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are flawed in the sense that it damages the environment in three aspects
1) The “creation” of Bitcoin, mining by solving complex math problems with computers
2) The trade of Bitcoin between different user and the usage of Bitcoin in financial transactions.
All of these create massive carbon emissions as showcased by this article by the Columbia Climate School
Bitcoin’s Impacts on Climate and the Environment
1) University of Cambridge analysts have estimated that bitcoin mining consumes 121.36 terawatt hours a year
2) Financial transactions of Bitcoin are harmful to the environment because as statistically it is said that Bitcoin is thought to consume 707 kwH per transaction.

This article also demonstrates how massive electricity use of Bitcoin is, bigger than the entire country of Ireland! Imagine that electricity going towards treating people in hospitals with urgent need for medical support.
Electricity needed to mine bitcoin is more than used by 'entire countries'

Ironically enough, Bitcoin is made to be a digital version of the gold standard, yet as an Oak Ridge Institute paper reveals, one dollar’s worth of bitcoin was equivalent to 17 megajoules of energy, more than double the amount of energy it took to mine one dollar’s worth of gold, gold and platinum. At least that energy would go towards something tangible, with more of a defined use. Gold and silver is used in the production of phones.
Your old phone is full of untapped precious metals

I’m puzzled when I see posts advertising Bitcoin restaurants. Do you really want to wait 15 minutes for a transaction to process longer than a VISA, waste more electricity than a VISA and cost more than a VISA? Like… we have a digital currency that’s way more efficient! That’s why when I refer to “bitcoin” I refer to cryptocurrency. Look my friends, if you want to get technical with definitions, a “bit” is just a unit of information for computers and a “coin” can be a currency, so you could make an argument that having digital USD in an online bank is like a “bitcoin”, so to clarify, when I say “Bitcoin” I mean BTC the stock.

There’s a lot of ways to Google (Or duckduckgo, the search engine I use, doesn’t have the same ring to it like “Google” lol) for others
donating computer processing power at DuckDuckGo
12 cool ways to donate your PC's spare processing power
Just to list a few better uses of electricity than cryptocurrency transactions:
Climateprediction.net can forecast extreme weather alerts to warn people in advance!
IBM World Community Grid researches into cures for influenza, muscular dystrophy, AIDS, childhood cancer
MilkyWay@home creates dimensional models of galaxies to discover how they’re formed
LHC@home helps physicists develop and exploit particle accelerators.
Enigma@home for decrypting wartime messages
NQueens@home for solving chess problems
BURP for rending 3D animations
Einstein@home for detecting gravitational waves
GPUGrid.net to perform simulations on proteins
AQUA@home for quantum super computers
Medical Research: Donate your unused computing power to aid medical research through Rosetta@home project
Literally, we could be curing cancer… or using up a town’s electricity supply for no net benefit. Discovering the secrets of the universe through science… or destroying the environment for no net positive. My heart aches imagining all the electricity that was used on Bitcoin, when it could have instead been used for these causes!
Isaiah 41:17 When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst, I the Lord will answer them; I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

Interesting side tangent, it turns out they’ve created puzzle games where people can solve molecular puzzles that have baffled scientists! The benefit of video games.
Gamers solve molecular puzzle that baffled scientists
Protein folding by the University of Washington: Foldit

As well, they’ve used AI to help detect illnesses much earlier! The benefit of Artificial Intelligence.
Using artificial intelligence for early detection and treatment of illnesses
And even for predicting earthquakes

All of this electricity could be used for supporting these amazing processes… or they can wasted by a few people trading the same crypto coin back and forth with each other to make it look like there’s a lot of trading for something when they’re really isn’t.

Economically, there’s the opportunity cost. Climate change, world war 3, recession, there are many issues harming us. But we can help researchers is by donating idle time on our computers.
1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God

The problem with Bitcoin is that it takes away computer power, electricity, that could have been used to help people medically, to help advance important scientific research, to save people from natural disasters. Fiat currencies have their own problems, look at the Zimbabwe dollar and the massive inflation that affected it because they were able to print out as much money as they wanted, but there are more pressing issues, better uses of our electricity.

In the future, when everyone has become a believer with faith alone in Jesus Christ, with all people saved, then there will be no waste. Everyone will be saved, 100% of all people. And, even though all people will be saved eventually, it’s not a waste to evangelize, because by soulwinning and telling people about this truth, it eases their minds. It gives them relief. I can say personally that my mind was in anguish for being trapped in the false beliefs of ECT and Annihilationism, and Universal Reconciliation gave me such a wonderful relief, that just imagining other people feeling that same relief is my motivation to spread the Gospel.
1 Corinthians 15:22: "As in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive."