Cursing.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wondering if the church forum is an appropriate place to discuss “cursing”? This question was posted by another member in another thread and both are good questions for consideration. “You think cursing is appropriate? Clearly you are not speaking with the spirit of Christ here.”

Deuteronomy 11:26 Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

You think cursing is appropriate? Asked here the answer is often: yes I do. I do think cursing is appropriate. I think cursing and death is appropriate. Then Why?

Clearly you are not speaking with the spirit of Christ here. Does the spirit of Christ speak: the curse and death or the blessing and Life? Genesis 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
https://tbibl.es/10Oo
Are we keeping His commandments while cursing others? Are we hypocrites? Are we speaking with the Spirit of Christ while cursing others to hell? So confused and drowning here ...because there seems to be a lot of doctrine and claiming of keeping the Law while speaking the curse and death, rather than the blessing and Life which we claim is our own.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When you say 'cursing' I take it you don't mean swearing or bad language.

I've always understood biblical cursing as being negative to the work of the Holy Spirit. Like when somebody in church comes up with a plan that they believe is from God and others put it down or pick it to pieces and say it can't be done. I've come across that sort of negativity all too often. Like the spies that came back in fear and told Moses not to proceed. Their words cursed the Israelites and caused them to die in the wilderness rather than entering the Promised Land which only Joshua and Caleb got to see because they weren't negative.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we going to be truthful?
I think all of us know when we maintain our PC veneer by refraining from using words society has identified as "naughty." But, that never seems to keep us from deliberately using "acceptable" — yet hurtful — words in our posts to others. The most popular one seems to be "ignorant", or some variation thereof.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you say 'cursing' I take it you don't mean swearing or bad language.

I've always understood biblical cursing as being negative to the work of the Holy Spirit. Like when somebody in church comes up with a plan that they believe is from God and others put it down or pick it to pieces and say it can't be done. I've come across that sort of negativity all too often. Like the spies that came back in fear and told Moses not to proceed. Their words cursed the Israelites and caused them to die in the wilderness rather than entering the Promised Land which only Joshua and Caleb got to see because they weren't negative.
I agree...and Peter comes to mind when he denied Christ and began to swear and speak in the manner he used to as a fisherman.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP
Ephesians 4:29 "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (one might want to read that verse again).

Ephesians 4:30 "And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Colossians 3:8 "But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Colossians 3:9 "Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; (TIME CHECK)

ONE MORE, 1 Corinthians 15:33 "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

PICJAG.

PS a good topic that is on time

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good word @VictoryinJesus
Proverbs has much to say about our mouth and the fruit of our mouth.

18:21 " Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."

When our children where still at home we made a point of always laying out hands on their heads and saying "Bless you". Knowing that the blessing always covers a curse . There is a story in Judges I believe where a woman find her money missing and say " Cursed by the man blah blah blah.."
When the son said ' I needed it' ....the woman quickly said "Blessed be thou blah blah "...knowing that a blessing cover the curse.

Even the old prophet which wanted gain Balaam , said to Balack (who wanted to pay Balaam to curse Israel,)- "How shall I curse, whom God hath not cursed? or how shall I defy, whom the LORD hath not defied?"

"Bless and curse not"..

How quickly we forget that we are spiritual beings therefore life or death is in our mouth.

Speaking blessing over someone, or saying "God bless you"..are not empty words by far...it has power, the power of God behind it.

A few times it says that the Levites were to bless Israel for God.
My fave is this one...

Num 6:23 "Speak unto Aaron and unto his sons, saying, On this wise ye shall bless the children of Israel, saying unto them,-
" The Lord bless thee, and keep thee:
The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The Lord lift up his counterance upon thee, and give thee peace.
And they shall put My name upon the children of Israel, and I will bless them.
."

So, God bless you one and all, especially at the opening of a new year... ✟

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we going to be truthful?
I think all of us know when we maintain our PC veneer by refraining from using words society has identified as "naughty." But, that never seems to keep us from deliberately using "acceptable" — yet hurtful — words in our posts to others. The most popular one seems to be "ignorant", or some variation thereof.
It depends how the word ignorant is used.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, if that is the intent. But if the intent is to say that the person is ignorant on a subject, as in not knowledgeable or unknowing, there is nothing wrong with that.
And what is the reason we would not just simply say, in a kinder, gentler way, those things you said it means? You already know the answer. We want to use the "justifiable" dig that we can hide behind as "not really" being a dig.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are we speaking with the Spirit of Christ while cursing others to hell?
I'm not sure where you are getting this from. No one can curse another person to Hell. But those who reject the Gospel and reject Christ as their Savior condemn themselves to Hell -- the eternal Lake of Fire (created for the devil and his angels).

Since the whole world is under the curse of sin and death brought about through Adam's transgression, everyone would face Hell if it were not for the finished work of Christ. Therefore God commands all men everywhere to repent and to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved. But some men love darkness rather than light, therefore they condemn themselves to Hell.

JOHN 3
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved...
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

There are many in Christendom (some on Christian forums) who deny the reality of Hell and deny the suffering of the unsaved in Hades even before Hell. But that does not change the truth.

Reactions: marks

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what is the reason we would not just simply say, in a kinder, gentler way, those things you said it means? You already know the answer. We want to use the "justifiable" dig that we can hide behind as "not really" being a dig.
Or I just believe in being precise in wording. If ignorant is the appropriate word, that is what should be used.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good word @VictoryinJesus
Proverbs has much to say about our mouth and the fruit of our mouth.

18:21 " Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."

When our children where still at home we made a point of always laying out hands on their heads and saying "Bless you". Knowing that the blessing always covers a curse . There is a story in Judges I believe where a woman find her money missing and say " Cursed by the man blah blah blah.."
When the son said ' I needed it' ....the woman quickly said "Blessed be thou blah blah "...knowing that a blessing cover the curse.

Even the old prophet which wanted gain Balaam , said to Balack (who wanted to pay Balaam to curse Israel,)- "How shall I curse, whom God hath not cursed? or how shall I defy, whom the LORD hath not defied?"

"Bless and curse not"..

How quickly we forget that we are spiritual beings therefore life or death is in our mouth.

Speaking blessing over someone, or saying "God bless you"..are not empty words by far...it has power, the power of God behind it.

A few times it says that the Levites were to bless Israel for God.
My fave is this one...

Num 6:23 "Speak unto Aaron and unto his sons, saying, On this wise ye shall bless the children of Israel, saying unto them,-
" The Lord bless thee, and keep thee:
The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The Lord lift up his counterance upon thee, and give thee peace.
And they shall put My name upon the children of Israel, and I will bless them.
."

So, God bless you one and all, especially at the opening of a new year... ✟
It’s suggested that the average person speaks at about 300 words per minute,
While the brain thinks at around 3000 words per minute.

Do people realize what this implies, if I tell someone they are ignorant/stupid..... the individual hearing this can repeat this to themselves in their inner dialogue 50,000 times sun up till sun down? Is this the love of Christ, I would strongly suggest NO?

It takes 10,000 ada boys to correct one curse.

I long for the day He Christ closes the mouths of all lions, and we come into unity to edification provoking love between all the brethren.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s suggested that the average person speaks at about 300 words per minute,
While the brain thinks at around 3000 words per minute.

Do people realize what this implies, if I tell someone they are ignorant/stupid..... the individual hearing this can repeat this to themselves in their inner dialogue 50,000 times sun up till sun down? Is this the love of Christ, I would strongly suggest NO?

It takes 10,000 ada boys to correct one curse.

I long for the day He Christ closes the mouths of all lions, and we come into unity to edification provoking love between all the brethren.
This post is ignorant and nonsense.

Reactions: DNB

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree...and Peter comes to mind when he denied Christ and began to swear and speak in the manner he used to as a fisherman.
or this bit.

Mat 16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
Mat 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.