Daily provision

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of things could be placed in a list of common daily responsibilities. Get to work, pay the bills, wash the car, feed the dog, cut the grass, take out the trash. These chores could be a part of an everyday routine.

In addition, if one has a vision for achievement, whether it is hobby or career related, even those pursuits bear a cost that demands a realization at the start.

Luke 14:28, “For which of you, intending to build a tower, sits not down first to count the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

Not one of Christ’s followers will ever suddenly arise from sleep with a solid foundation in the Word of God without having taken the time to search the Scriptures, and that with the aid of a qualified teacher and God's leading.

It is written of the Berean church (Acts 17:11) that they "received the word with readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

As we read, the pattern for studying God’s Word throughout the days of the First Church, not surprisingly, was daily. Not bi-weekly or monthly, but daily.

Proverbs 8:34, “ Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.

Matt. 6:11, “Give us this day our daily bread.”

The pattern of daily study and preparation is especially appropriate, since, as we’re told, it is possible to be oppressed daily (Ps. 56:1-2), reproached daily (Ps. 42:10), and be in derision daily (Jer. 20: 7-8).

To ready ourselves against these assaults, it is needful that we receive our daily provision from the Lord just like the children of Israel who were fed from heaven their daily allotment of manna. (Exodus 16:5)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of things could be placed in a list of common daily responsibilities. Get to work, pay the bills, wash the car, feed the dog, cut the grass, take out the trash. These chores could be a part of an everyday routine.

In addition, if one has a vision for achievement, whether it is hobby or career related, even those pursuits bear a cost that demands a realization at the start.

Luke 14:28, “For which of you, intending to build a tower, sits not down first to count the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

Not one of Christ’s followers will ever suddenly arise from sleep with a solid foundation in the Word of God without having taken the time to search the Scriptures, and that with the aid of a qualified teacher and God's leading.

It is written of the Berean church (Acts 17:11) that they "received the word with readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

As we read, the pattern for studying God’s Word throughout the days of the First Church, not surprisingly, was daily. Not bi-weekly or monthly, but daily.

Proverbs 8:34, “ Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.

Matt. 6:11, “Give us this day our daily bread.”

The pattern of daily study and preparation is especially appropriate, since, as we’re told, it is possible to be oppressed daily (Ps. 56:1-2), reproached daily (Ps. 42:10), and be in derision daily (Jer. 20: 7-8).

To ready ourselves against these assaults, it is needful that we receive our daily provision from the Lord just like the children of Israel who were fed from heaven their daily allotment of manna. (Exodus 16:5)

Welcome to the forum @Hope in God !
His provisions are...well, I have no words! He NEVER has failed me yet, in ANY way ♥
I enjoyed your post, I just need more discipline in this area as, I have never developed good study habits, even in school. I was always an average student, even on the low end of that, lol.
This site has taught me much over the last year and, of course we can get plenty of scripture here but then...WHO is interpreting it? I often wonder if the Bereans ever had disagreements, lol.
In an effort to learn, I tend to get in over my head on here at times. That's when God say's "zip it nance" :D But, I hope you enjoy it here.
God Bless,
nancy

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of things could be placed in a list of common daily responsibilities. Get to work, pay the bills, wash the car, feed the dog, cut the grass, take out the trash...
If you don't mind... I would like to offer a spiritual meditation on that bolded sentence, captivating it as it were to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5) - it seems to me you intended it that way, too:

Get to work -> Study and pray.
Pay the bills -> Offer thanks and glorify God for all His provisions, not only with our mouth but also with our good conduct. Bill that we owe to God is our obedience to His commandments.
Wash the car -> Mourn and repent for our sins. Ask God’s forgiveness. Car can be understood as our body and soul.
Feed the dog -> The spiritual dog is watchfulness. It is properly fed by minimizing distractions and focusing our attention inwardly.
Cut the grass -> Grass (tares) are the evil thoughts that the enemy sows in our heart (Psalms 92:7), which we cut off with our spiritual sword (Hebrews 4:12).
Take out the trash -> Trash can be our evil habits/predispositions that we take out by supplanting them with good and opposing virtues.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum @Hope in God !
His provisions are...well, I have no words! He NEVER has failed me yet, in ANY way ♥
I enjoyed your post, I just need more discipline in this area as, I have never developed good study habits, even in school. I was always an average student, even on the low end of that, lol.
This site has taught me much over the last year and, of course we can get plenty of scripture here but then...WHO is interpreting it? I often wonder if the Bereans ever had disagreements, lol.
In an effort to learn, I tend to get in over my head on here at times. That's when God say's "zip it nance" :D But, I hope you enjoy it here.
God Bless,
nancy

I am new to this site, Nancy. I got tired of spending too much time attempting to share the gospel to the unsaved on FB and other sites and thought it would be good to reach into my Bible studies to see what I could pull out. The writing I enjoy because I am in love with words -- always have been. Even as a boy, I used to write poetry in third grade that my teacher thought was so good she used my scribblings for years as examples for other students to enjoy. Being retired, I have plenty of time to compose, although I do need to get out a bit. This week it's supposed to rain every day, so that's out. But then, what would I do? My house is a big library of books that I read in long spurts, sometimes not giving it a break until I've read every book a particular author has written.

I am hoping to put together a devotional based on the first principles listed in Hebrews 6. It will take me another lifetime to complete since I have only about forty posts that would fit into a 365 day devotional. My health gets in the way sometimes -- another reason for staying around the house. I think I took a hazardous route to this sixth decade of my life; and yet, I have been very faithful of late to study and pray. Not to be morbid, I wonder if the Lord ever took anyone home while in the middle of praying. That would be the way to go.

Don't forget to lock the door, bring the cat in, shut the oven off, and put the trash out. David

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am new to this site, Nancy. I got tired of spending too much time attempting to share the gospel to the unsaved on FB and other sites and thought it would be good to reach into my Bible studies to see what I could pull out. The writing I enjoy because I am in love with words -- always have been. Even as a boy, I used to write poetry in third grade that my teacher thought was so good she used my scribblings for years as examples for other students to enjoy. Being retired, I have plenty of time to compose, although I do need to get out a bit. This week it's supposed to rain every day, so that's out. But then, what would I do? My house is a big library of books that I read in long spurts, sometimes not giving it a break until I've read every book a particular author has written.

I am hoping to put together a devotional based on the first principles listed in Hebrews 6. It will take me another lifetime to complete since I have only about forty posts that would fit into a 365 day devotional. My health gets in the way sometimes -- another reason for staying around the house. I think I took a hazardous route to this sixtieth decade of my life; and yet, I have been very faithful of late to study and pray. Not to be morbid, I wonder if the Lord ever took anyone home while in the middle of praying. That would be the way to go.

Don't forget to lock the door, bring the cat in, shut the oven off, and put the trash out. David

Hi David!
"I got tired of spending too much time attempting to share the gospel to the unsaved on FB and other sites and thought it would be good to reach into my Bible studies to see what I could pull out. "
Well, it would be nice to see what you have in your studies. Some of us on here DO like to learn, lol. I am a reader myself. I prefer it over TV any day! Although, I have been going through a dry spell lately. It's funny as I thought, I will NEVER be bored during retirement because I got so lost in books! Hopefully, this spell won't last very long.
"I am hoping to put together a devotional based on the first principles listed in Hebrews 6. It will take me another lifetime to complete since I have only about forty posts that would fit into a 365 day devotional."
That sounds like it would be a very uplifting devotional. So, maybe it will take "another lifetime" to complete. But then, we have a forever lifetime to look forward to ♥
I'm sorry to hear about your health. I hope God finds favor with you there. And, yes, it would be a pretty awesome way to go - middle of praying!
In Him,
nancy

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi David!
"I got tired of spending too much time attempting to share the gospel to the unsaved on FB and other sites and thought it would be good to reach into my Bible studies to see what I could pull out. "
Well, it would be nice to see what you have in your studies. Some of us on here DO like to learn, lol. I am a reader myself. I prefer it over TV any day! Although, I have been going through a dry spell lately. It's funny as I thought, I will NEVER be bored during retirement because I got so lost in books! Hopefully, this spell won't last very long.
"I am hoping to put together a devotional based on the first principles listed in Hebrews 6. It will take me another lifetime to complete since I have only about forty posts that would fit into a 365 day devotional."
That sounds like it would be a very uplifting devotional. So, maybe it will take "another lifetime" to complete. But then, we have a forever lifetime to look forward to ♥
I'm sorry to hear about your health. I hope God finds favor with you there. And, yes, it would be a pretty awesome way to go - middle of praying!
In Him,
nancy

Are you familiar with Art Garfunkel of Simon and Garfunkel? He's been reading two books per month for the past forty years and has all of them listed on his website. I printed it a couple of times just to see if I should follow his choices. It's very impressive. Puts me to shame, although when I am in a book club I can sometimes read two novels in a month, depending upon the ease of the assignment and page lengths.

Within the last club I was in, most of the books ran from 350 to over 700 pages. I quit the club after three or four years, due largely to the disappointment of not having anyone in the group who liked my choice of reading material. Once on my own, I threw myself into a couple thick novels that demanded dedication. That is, after I read all of Pat Conroy's novels and nonfiction works. I still think he was the best writer of the last century. Then I read two books by Wally Lamb, that tome named "I Know This Much Is True," then on to "She's Come Undone." Today I read through Faulkner's "The Town," about the most greedy member in a family called Snopes. Some classics I read simply to gain the author's bent. A classic short stories book I took time to read last month. On audiobooks, I listen to Foote's Civil War series and Edmund's Roosevelt trilogy, usually at night.

I just noticed I wrote "sixtieth" decade. Oops, thoughts and fingers not in sync. Even though I managed to complete an education after a hitch in the Navy, then worked numerous jobs until I found one that fit, I began having health issues when I was 14. Had family life been different, it might have been a smoother ride. What can I write? It was what it was. And yet, God remains good.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you familiar with Art Garfunkel of Simon and Garfunkel? He's been reading two books per month for the past forty years and has all of them listed on his website. I printed it a couple of times just to see if I should follow his choices. It's very impressive. Puts me to shame, although when I am in a book club I can sometimes read two novels in a month, depending upon the ease of the assignment and page lengths.

Within the last club I was in, most of the books ran from 350 to over 700 pages. I quit the club after three or four years, due largely to the disappointment of not having anyone in the group who liked my choice of reading material. Once on my own, I threw myself into a couple thick novels that demanded dedication. That is, after I read all of Pat Conroy's novels and nonfiction works. I still think he was the best writer of the last century. Then I read two books by Wally Lamb, that tome named "I Know This Much Is True," then on to "She's Come Undone." Today I read through Faulkner's "The Town," about the most greedy member in a family called Snopes. Some classics I read simply to gain the author's bent. A classic short stories book I took time to read last month. On audiobooks, I listen to Foote's Civil War series and Edmund's Roosevelt trilogy, usually at night.

I just noticed I wrote "sixtieth" decade. Oops, thoughts and fingers not in sync. Even though I managed to complete an education after a hitch in the Navy, then worked numerous jobs until I found one that fit, I began having health issues when I was 14. Had family life been different, it might have been a smoother ride. What can I write? It was what it was. And yet, God remains good.

I know I have read at the very least, somethings by Pat Conroy, I'm pretty sure I read The Great Santini...Are your books mostly Christian based? Most of mine were by authors like Jeffrey Deaver (his writing is brilliant and will keep you on the edge of your seat, The Vanished Man is bar my favorite of his) I've read pretty much all of his stuff as well as John Grisham and Pat Cornwell but, got tired of the same old theme. I love Frank Peretti and all his books that theme spiritual warfare. I am no scholar, just like a good read. Over the decades, there have been tons of other authors I've read. I could read two novels a week, as I do not watch tv at all, and you know how the time flies when you are into a good book!
OH yes! I know the Garfunkles. When a child we used to think his hair was funny looking, lol. Is Art a Christian do you know? Seems I heard that somewhere once.
Now, I would be bored stiff with anything to do with The Civil War, I absolutely could not stand History class in school :oops:
Ahhh, I almost joined the Navy but at the last minute, I decided to follow in my mom's footsteps and walked into the Air Force recruiters office instead. I did 4 active, got out, came home and did 3 years in the Air Reserves. It was a good run but, I knew I was no "lifer".
I am so sorry you have had health problems (and possible, family problems?) at such an early age.
"And yet, God remains good." <----AMEN to that, huh?
In His Name Always!
nancy

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know I have read at the very least, somethings by Pat Conroy, I'm pretty sure I read The Great Santini...Are your books mostly Christian based? Most of mine were by authors like Jeffrey Deaver (his writing is brilliant and will keep you on the edge of your seat, The Vanished Man is bar my favorite of his) I've read pretty much all of his stuff as well as John Grisham and Pat Cornwell but, got tired of the same old theme. I love Frank Peretti and all his books that theme spiritual warfare. I am no scholar, just like a good read. Over the decades, there have been tons of other authors I've read. I could read two novels a week, as I do not watch tv at all, and you know how the time flies when you are into a good book!
OH yes! I know the Garfunkles. When a child we used to think his hair was funny looking, lol. Is Art a Christian do you know? Seems I heard that somewhere once.
Now, I would be bored stiff with anything to do with The Civil War, I absolutely could not stand History class in school :oops:
Ahhh, I almost joined the Navy but at the last minute, I decided to follow in my mom's footsteps and walked into the Air Force recruiters office instead. I did 4 active, got out, came home and did 3 years in the Air Reserves. It was a good run but, I knew I was no "lifer".
I am so sorry you have had health problems (and possible, family problems?) at such an early age.
"And yet, God remains good." <----AMEN to that, huh?
In His Name Always!
nancy

Art Garfunkel leans toward Buddhism. My sister joined the Air Force, worked with those huge computers from that period. I refused the reserves. Sometimes I wish I had remained in the Navy for the retirement checks and base benefits; but then, most the the lifers who were hired by the VA hospital where I worked acted like they were meant to tell everyone what's what. Nobody could stand a one of them.

I've not read anything by Jeffery Deaver, and only a couple of John Grisham's books, and nothing by Pat Cornwell. Your taste run into the crime genre, perhaps even true crime? I read loads of true crime in years past and have about as many names of Holocaust death camps memorized as I do that of serial killers. My enjoyment is not the gore as much as it is the gathering of clues and how they can take years before there is a solution. One of my largest book collections is on WWII and the Holocaust, which I have set aside over the last couple of years to ease my mind.

I greatly enjoy history, although I am particular about the period. For instance, I read McCullough's "The Wright Brothers," which I could not put down, as well as numerous biographies of people from film to Presidents. A biography of Thomas Edison was rewarding as was one on Sinclair Lewis, John Adams, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Lindbergh. The latter had two families, I discovered, a wife and kid in the States and in Germany. Plus, he was very supportive of the Germans even during their Nazi beginnings, and became a most outspoken isolationist. He lost a good bit of American support after his real colors showed.

I read several of Alexandre Solzhenitsyn's books, having begun with the "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich." On a semester break, I was reading "The Gulag Archipelago" when an FBI agent knocked on my apartment door. What a harrowing experience. He and his men were keeping my apartment under surveillance and noticed I'd been reading "that book by that window for days".
"You barely moved except to go down to Benny's Chinese Restaurant once all weekend" he said. I admitted I was a very poor college student who could barely afford to feed himself. Still, two FBI agents and a police officer walked me to the police station two blocks from the house to fingerprint me and take my picture because I fit the description of a man who raped and murdered a girl thirty miles south of the beach where I was living. What a come-to-life book that was! Of course, nothing was found, but they never were kind enough to call me back.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Art Garfunkel leans toward Buddhism. My sister joined the Air Force, worked with those huge computers from that period. I refused the reserves. Sometimes I wish I had remained in the Navy for the retirement checks and base benefits; but then, most the the lifers who were hired by the VA hospital where I worked acted like they were meant to tell everyone what's what. Nobody could stand a one of them.

I've not read anything by Jeffery Deaver, and only a couple of John Grisham's books, and nothing by Pat Cornwell. Your taste run into the crime genre, perhaps even true crime? I read loads of true crime in years past and have about as many names of Holocaust death camps memorized as I do that of serial killers. My enjoyment is not the gore as much as it is the gathering of clues and how they can take years before there is a solution.

I greatly enjoy history, although I am particular about the period. For instance, I read McCullough's "The Wright Brothers," which I could not put down, as well as numerous biographies of people from film to Presidents. A biography of Thomas Edison was rewarding as was one on Sinclair Lewis, John Adams, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Lindbergh. The latter had two families, I discovered, a wife and kid in the States and in Germany. Plus, he was very supportive of the Germans even during their Nazi beginnings, and became a most outspoken isolationist. He lost a good bit of American support after his real colors showed.

I read several of Alexandre Solzhenitsyn's books, having begun with the "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich." On a semester break, I was reading "The Gulag Archipelago" when an FBI agent knocked on my apartment door. What a harrowing experience. He and his men were keeping my apartment under surveillance and noticed I'd been reading "that book by that window for days".
"You barely moved except to go down to Benny's Chinese Restaurant once all weekend" he said. I admitted I was a very poor college student who could barely afford to feed himself. Still, two FBI agents and a police officer walked me to the police station two blocks from the house to fingerprint me and take my picture because I fit the description of a man who raped and murdered a girl thirty miles south of the beach where I was living. What a come-to-life book that was! Of course, nothing was found, but they never were kind enough to call me back.
"My enjoyment is not the gore as much as it is the gathering of clues and how they can take years before there is a solution."
Yes!!! My favorite character of Deaver's book is like, crazy smart and has a lab in his own livingroom, lol, he has a database of, like EVERYTHING in NYC in his databases. He knows which parts of the city a crime took place without leaving his microscope and dozens of other very high tech lab equipment. He can tell where a perp was sitting, and observing his evil deed just by the shoe markings beneath a single chair - all through a camera. Many. many twists and turns. You should give him a read (The Vanished Man :) ) lol, just for entertainments sake. He is a quadriplegic That is what I love about the Lincoln Rhyme (my favorite) character from Jeffrey Deaver. Court room dramas (books) (like Grisham and Michael Connelly...) were up my alley for a long time. I even took several courses for paralegal in a private college. Could NOT get past the math...now THAT was a waste of allot of money as, I pretty much aced the other courses...at 44 years of age!!! I became smarter and loved writing the briefs. BTW-I do NOT like gore, at all! Ew. I like plot. I like Jodi Picoult books, most especially "My Sisters Keeper"...wow and awesome. Her writing is based on things that DO happen and she gives her dialog as coming from each character in each chapter, their views and thoughts, that is.
"One of my largest book collections is on WWII and the Holocaust, which I have set aside over the last couple of years to ease my mind.
"One of my largest book collections is on WWII and the Holocaust, which I have set aside over the last couple of years to ease my mind."

Now, the Holocaust IS a part of world History that I could look into and, of course it can bring us down if we meditate on it too much. I guess the only History that really catch's my attention anymore, is biblical.
I do like some British period pieces like, several of the reknown ones, years ago though like, Hemingway, I was a bit interested in Virginia Wolfe and her sadness. I had even went through a period of looking into Mother Theresa, lol. I came to truly admire her. Saw a docu-movie on Netflix titled "The Letters"...very, very interesting the thoughts and feelings she had! So, not sure if any of that counts as the kind of history you like, lol.
"... F. Scott Fitzgerald and Lindbergh. The latter had two families, I discovered, a wife and kid in the States and in Germany. Plus, he was very supportive of the Germans even during their Nazi beginnings, and became a most outspoken isolationist. He lost a good bit of American support after his real colors showed."
Well, I knew nothing of this. See? You taught me something today, haha!
Your last paragraph: WOW! That is harassment...and isn't it illegal??
Is "The Gulag Archipelago" like, banned or something o_O
Sounds like quite the harrowing experience! Not even a call back. How like this world that is :rolleyes:
In Him abundantly!
nancy

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like Jodi Picoult books, most especially "My Sisters Keeper"...wow and awesome. Her writing is based on things that DO happen and she gives her dialog as coming from each character in each chapter, their views and thoughts, that is.

I have one Picoult book on my shelf entitled Plain Truth.

Now, the Holocaust IS a part of world History that I could look into and, of course it can bring us down if we meditate on it too much. I guess the only History that really catch's my attention anymore, is biblical.
I do like some British period pieces like, several of the reknown ones, years ago though like, Hemingway, I was a bit interested in Virginia Wolfe and her sadness. I had even went through a period of looking into Mother Theresa, lol. I came to truly admire her. Saw a docu-movie on Netflix titled "The Letters"...very, very interesting the thoughts and feelings she had! So, not sure if any of that counts as the kind of history you like, lol.
Something that has stayed on my mind after viewing "The Letters" is the Mother's confession that during all the many hours, days and years she put into prayer not once did Jesus come to her side, to give her aid, or touch her spiritually. Her time was likened to wasted effort, and she simply could not come to grips with His abandonment of her.

Who are you thinking about within British literature. I still have a strong attachment to Thomas Hardy: Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Jude the Obscure are my favorites.

I once had a steady diet of Hitler related material, all the famous camps, the Destruction of the European Jews, books on the Nuremburg trials, Spandau prison, Albert Speer's His Battle With Truth and his The Third Reich, plus unbelievably truthful insights in American Apathy While Six Million Died, also, personal accounts of men who worked the gas chambers, etc. My list of books should be a Holocaust Museum, although they probably already have them in most of their locations. There is a museum here in FL, near me, in St. Pete. I went to it right after they opened about 20 year ago. Now they have much more original items I'd like to see.

Sounds like quite the harrowing experience! Not even a call back. How like this world that is :rolleyes:
In Him abundantly!
nancy

The Gulag is still in Russia. The Gulag institution was closed by the MVD (Ministry of Internal Affairs) order No 020 of January 25, 1960 but forced labor colonies for political and criminal prisoners continued to exist. Political prisoners continued to be kept in one of the most famous camps Perm-36 until 1987 when it was closed. Solzhenitsyn was an extremely insightful man. Did you ever read his commencement address to the 1976 Harvard graduating class? Alexandr Solzhenitsyn: Harvard Commencement Address (A World Split Apart) It's a must read, absolutely on the mark regarding our country, and his comparison of the type of people created from Russian suffering vs. our pleasure seeking commoner.

[/QUOTE]

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like Jodi Picoult books, most especially "My Sisters Keeper"...wow and awesome. Her writing is based on things that DO happen and she gives her dialog as coming from each character in each chapter, their views and thoughts, that is.

I have one Picoult book on my shelf entitled Plain Truth.

Something that has stayed on my mind after viewing "The Letters" is the Mother's confession that during all the many hours, days and years she put into prayer not once did Jesus come to her side, to give her aid, or touch her spiritually. Her time was likened to wasted effort, and she simply could not come to grips with His abandonment of her.

Who are you thinking about within British literature. I still have a strong attachment to Thomas Hardy: Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Jude the Obscure are my favorites.

I once had a steady diet of Hitler related material, all the famous camps, the Destruction of the European Jews, books on the Nuremburg trials, Spandau prison, Albert Speer's His Battle With Truth and his The Third Reich, plus unbelievably truthful insights in American Apathy While Six Million Died, also, personal accounts of men who worked the gas chambers, etc. My list of books should be a Holocaust Museum, although they probably already have them in most of their locations. There is a museum here in FL, near me, in St. Pete. I went to it right after they opened about 20 year ago. Now they have much more original items I'd like to see.

In Him abundantly!
nancy

The Gulag is still in Russia. The Gulag institution was closed by the MVD (Ministry of Internal Affairs) order No 020 of January 25, 1960 but forced labor colonies for political and criminal prisoners continued to exist. Political prisoners continued to be kept in one of the most famous camps Perm-36 until 1987 when it was closed. Solzhenitsyn was an extremely insightful man. Did you ever read his commencement address to the 1976 Harvard graduating class? Alexandr Solzhenitsyn: Harvard Commencement Address (A World Split Apart) It's a must read, absolutely on the mark regarding our country, and his comparison of the type of people created from Russian suffering vs. our pleasure seeking commoner.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, "whew" ( @Bobby Jo :D )
What YOU read and have read truly pales my own. I am FAR from a scholar, lol. I would so love to be well read more so than I am but, my only interests in reading anymore, lies in the things of God. I believe that His Word has many, many hidden pearls within. He say's to seek Him "diligently", and He knows who is sincere and heartfelt. I say that the more we know Him, the more naked and helpless we are before Him...the more He will reveal Himself in EVERY WAY.
I gotta say Hope, that I have not heard of any of the authors or "news" you cite in your last paragraph. Allot of the second last paragraph depicts way too much death for my tastes.
Another good book by Jodi Picoult (BTW, I have not read the only one you have, lol)
about Type III osteogenesis imperfecta (OI), a disease also known as brittle bone syndrome. It and many of her books can bring you to tears as these things do happen in life. They can have you losing sleep as I remember :) Been quite awhile since I have been able to "get into" a secular book. Weird as, reading was such a passion for me for so many decades!!! Lol...God just replaces the secular novels with more compelling, interesting TRUTHS! Hallelujah!!
In Him alwys,
nancy

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What YOU read and have read truly pales my own. I am FAR from a scholar, lol. I would so love to be well read more so than I am but, my only interests in reading anymore, lies in the things of God. I believe that His Word has many, many hidden pearls within. He say's to seek Him "diligently", and He knows who is sincere and heartfelt. I say that the more we know Him, the more naked and helpless we are before Him...the more He will reveal Himself in EVERY WAY.
I gotta say Hope, that I have not heard of any of the authors or "news" you cite in your last paragraph. Allot of the second last paragraph depicts way too much death for my tastes.
Another good book by Jodi Picoult (BTW, I have not read the only one you have, lol)
about Type III osteogenesis imperfecta (OI), a disease also known as brittle bone syndrome. It and many of her books can bring you to tears as these things do happen in life. They can have you losing sleep as I remember :) Been quite awhile since I have been able to "get into" a secular book. Weird as, reading was such a passion for me for so many decades!!! Lol...God just replaces the secular novels with more compelling, interesting TRUTHS! Hallelujah!!
In Him alwys,
nancy[/QUOTE]
"Something that has stayed on my mind after viewing "The Letters" is the Mother's confession that during all the many hours, days and years she put into prayer not once did Jesus come to her side, to give her aid, or touch her spiritually. Her time was likened to wasted effort, and she simply could not come to grips with His abandonment of her."
Yes, it was a long period of 50 years that she felt abandoned yet, she believed still, that we were to love one another as Jesus told us to and she still was obedient to, so therefore always loved Him ♥
Don't we all feel abandoned by Him at times? Dry spells? Peaks and valleys? I know I do. And, knowing what Mother Theresa was up against...since a very young age, and all that she witnessed in the streets of Calcutta had to have had quite an effect on her, she was still only human, after all :) Much sadness. Being surrounded by so much sickness and death, and for her whole life...hmmm. And to think that pastors get burnt out! LOL. I would say that, Jesus NEVER left her side. I almost feel kind of guilty as, she did NOT want her letters publicized...yet the Vatican went totally against her wishes. :rolleyes:

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Him alwys,
nancy[/QUOTE]

I understand, fully well, your desire to read only Christian material, Nancy. Many Christian friends I have don't read at all, other than to scan their Bibles. That you want to learn or be stimulated spiritually is good. Most believers I know, unfortunately, have never been taught through a systematic approach, but scribble down taking bits and pieces they gather from their favorite speakers. I call these "steer messages," meaning a point here and a point there with a lot of bull in the middle.

I tired long ago to sit on fold out chairs at nondenominational settings only to listen to the same sermon I heard forty times already. Once I stumbled onto a massively beneficial Bible teaching approach provided to me through brothers from Texas who came to Florida and set up daily meetings, I was hooked. They taught the first principles (Heb. 6). We met every morning and every evening for six days a week, never on Sundays. It was those teachings that built in me a foundation I would never have imagined had I kept to who was "out there" to help me grow, mostly prosperity teachers and sheep/shepherd adherents, and their mimickers behind pulpits. That was in the late 70s when I made the change in approach for my own sake, to grow in knowledge and wisdom. All those notebooks and outlines from years past I still go over. By those studies I have been able to memorize countless, even hundreds, of verses as they apply to the first principles.

I read principally because I love words. Plus, I earned a BA in literature in '80. For seven years, I wrote professionally for three daily and two weekly newspapers, as well as freelanced for an industrial magazine, and in the 80s owned and operated a used bookstore. My life has been consumed by books and words. As a boy, I did crosswood puzzles obsessively. The bug, I caught, from my father. Always, he had a puzzle lying on the table.

I've been working on building a website based on the first principles which can be found here: Shiloh Sanctuary It's a huge undertaking, to say the least, because, once I had the general outline established, the former owners of the message board, yuku, sold to tapatalk, which, once it was switched over, caused me loads of editing due to font, space and location changes. It's coming along slowly. Yesterday, I was adding comment to the lesson on condemnation under eternal judgment.

I want to put my studies in a format that is easily read. The problem is, finding Christians who actually are grounded in the Word enough to know how to search the Scriptures. I hear preachers on TV telling their congregants where the book of Ecclesiastes is, for instance. Sure, there are folks just beginning, but if their beginnings were never met "as newborn babes" who "desire the sincere milk of the word that ye may grow thereby" then all they have are sermons. not systematic studies.

A fellow I've begun to listen to on occasion named Les Feldick has a contextual approach of teaching, meaning he goes through the Bible from Genesis straight through to Revelation, which, I believe, takes six years. His is verse-by-verse style. I have always preferred principle studies. With the right teachers, a person sitting under principle studies as I did would be able to gain a strong foundation in about a year and a half. If not twice daily, that would total to 468 meetings scattered over several years.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Him alwys,
nancy
"Something that has stayed on my mind after viewing "The Letters" is the Mother's confession that during all the many hours, days and years she put into prayer not once did Jesus come to her side, to give her aid, or touch her spiritually. Her time was likened to wasted effort, and she simply could not come to grips with His abandonment of her."
Yes, it was a long period of 50 years that she felt abandoned yet, she believed still, that we were to love one another as Jesus told us to and she still was obedient to, so therefore always loved Him ♥
Don't we all feel abandoned by Him at times? Dry spells? Peaks and valleys? I know I do. And, knowing what Mother Theresa was up against...since a very young age, and all that she witnessed in the streets of Calcutta had to have had quite an effect on her, she was still only human, after all :) Much sadness. Being surrounded by so much sickness and death, and for her whole life...hmmm. And to think that pastors get burnt out! LOL. I would say that, Jesus NEVER left her side. I almost feel kind of guilty as, she did NOT want her letters publicized...yet the Vatican went totally against her wishes. :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

I believe there are saved individuals within the Catholic Church who understand what it means to have a relationship with the Lord. We are not to expect to be met with prosperity, revelations and visitations around every bend. Instead, especially among the strongest believers, there is dryness and emptiness rather than marvelous revival. Dryness is not a strange thing to those who love the Lord. Yet, at the same time, we have among today's church leaders who know nothing of God's ways, nor His use of whatever He pleases to bring us into deeper relationship with Him. The moment bad times come, most are chasing the devil, and I agree with that response because sometimes Satan is the cause of bad times. At the same time, the Lord promises us there is a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance, a time to break down, and a time to build up.
David

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe there are saved individuals within the Catholic Church who understand what it means to have a relationship with the Lord. We are not to expect to be met with prosperity, revelations and visitations around every bend. Instead, especially among the strongest believers, there is dryness and emptiness rather than marvelous revival. Dryness is not a strange thing to those who love the Lord. Yet, at the same time, we have among today's church leaders who know nothing of God's ways, nor His use of whatever He pleases to bring us into deeper relationship with Him. The moment bad times come, most are chasing the devil, and I agree with that response because sometimes Satan is the cause of bad times. At the same time, the Lord promises us there is a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance, a time to break down, and a time to build up.
David
[/QUOTE]

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

David
[/QUOTE]

"I believe there are saved individuals within the Catholic Church who understand what it means to have a relationship with the Lord."
Oh, I absolutely believe this too! The most spirit filled woman I have ever known was my grandma, on mom's side. She lived all of the fruits of the Spirit, never had a bad word to say about any body, was kind and loving to all. She knew it was all about "relationship" ♥ I have a good friend who is a Spirit filled Catholic and, her and I are able to discuss many things in the bible, and I'ts not easy to do that with most Catholics. I may not go in for some of their beliefs but I do still consider the congregants and, some of the clergy as Christian. It's the Institution in and of itself that I have a hard time with...I will not bow to, kneel before or kiss ANY humans ring.
"Dryness is not a strange thing to those who love the Lord. <--- Sure is not a stranger to me, lol.
Yet, at the same time, we have among today's church leaders who know nothing of God's ways, nor His use of whatever He pleases to bring us into deeper relationship with Him. " <--- Yes, and this calls for discernment. (Funny that is our new series, discernment and sound doctrine!) I can see where a Christian can outgrow a Church body (local gathering).
Too many pastors are so afraid of empty pews. How about they exercise THEIR faith and allow God to fill those pews by giving the full, unadulterated Word...like it or not! Ha! lol. So sad with this watered down version of the "Gospel" they are spewing out now.
It's all about relationship with The Creator of the universe!
Praise and Glory to Him,
nancy

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=5 said:
It's the Institution in and of itself that I have a hard time with...I will not bow to, kneel before or kiss ANY humans ring. [/SIZE]

I understand less regarding Catholicism that is sound than that which is error. The list of delusions can run the length of a page. Do you know John Michael Talbot? Back when LPs were the thing, I bought his first one with the song "Healer of my Soul." It brought deliverance to me as I was experiencing a terrible brokenness at the time. I repeatedly recorded the song onto a cassette and played that tape nonstop, all night long for weeks. So, when he came to town many years later, I wanted desperately to see and hear him, and took along with me that LP in the hope that he would be pleased to sign it.

For fifteen minutes my brother and I stood beside his dressing room at St. Paul's Catholic Church in Tampa, and when he finally headed our way, we could see something wasn't quite right, but we weren't sure what it was, maybe the sound system or his strings. Who knew. It was us, moronic fans to him, he was cursing under his breath, for wanting him to sign his album. It made him furious. He insisted we were ungodly morons, pushed his way by us like he was starting a bar brawl, while loudly and madly pronouncing our doom as he walked into his room. His brother apologized profusely. To JMT, we were a couple of unsaved heathen as far as he was concerned, void of any spiritual intent or virtue.

All I wanted, in a respectable way, was the idiot's signature. Nevertheless, for at least a decade afterwards, I could think of little good surrounding Catholicism. In fact, he caused me to detest any thought of that broken system.

Too many pastors are so afraid of empty pews. How about they exercise THEIR faith and allow God to fill those pews by giving the full, unadulterated Word...like it or not! Ha! lol. So sad with this watered down version of the "Gospel" they are spewing out now.
It's all about relationship with The Creator of the universe!
Praise and Glory to Him,
nancy

I no longer attend anywhere, but leave it to the Lord and my own studies to lead me. Loads of bad memories saturate the church world of my past, and today's assemblies simply fail to interest me.
David

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That had to be such a let down for you , with Talbot I mean. I'm sorry that happened. And, yes...as far as I am now concerned, nobody can hurt you like other "Christians" I myself have been feeling the urge to pull away from the assemblies. I get way more teaching in on my own, right here at home with my bible, several study books and a good concordance. The biggest reason I had decided to start to attend again was solely for fellowship and to eventually have small groups in my home. Well, ya might as well throw fellowship out the window because, they all do their own thing and run out of the building immediately after services. How is ANYBODY to get to know each other?? There are no bible studies that I would be interested in attending near me either. At least not yet. I am now giving a second thought to Sunday services....I go alone, unless this guy a few blocks from me want s a ride, and I come back home alone. All the while, I could have just watched the sermon at home online, saved some gas.
I don't really have anyone who I could talk to about this...they would all just think I was pulling away from God :rolleyes: You know, she left us because she was not of us?? Not that I should even care what some might think. I am still not giving up looking for a house Church. My second last Church has left a few scars and it has made me wary of other Christians...I HATE that that is so but, none the less - it is. :(
I think yoy have the right idea David. I will def be praying about this decision before I mover an inch though. ♥

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The body of Christ, presently, is undergoing lots of problems, even though their leadership act bewildered when they are approached by journalists who ask nondenoms and evangelicals alike about their wealth and lifestyles. The Southern Baptist Convention is now another group to have committed child sexual abuse. I never was an evangelical anyway, so that isn't a part of my heart being ripped from me. My best moments with a group, as I wrote earlier, was when I was being taught. Every place outside of that setting demands a lot of patience to remain. The Spirit filled community continues to promote ridiculously foolish behaviors in the guise of "being touched" by the anointing. It's all so detestable and void of a balanced presentation of the Word. No thank you. I'll stay home.