Dangers of statins

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife and I have dumped statins. I've read before of a few dangers of statins drugs but recently we both have been increasingly plagued by the side effects - well documented by the way - of statins. Simvastatin is the particular one we tossed. I wish I'd have stopped sooner. There are so many testimonials about the bad things that happened to statins takers they couldn't be posted.

Fatigue
Joint pain
Short term memory loss
Depression
Muscle aches and cramps

There are many more that are affecting takers!

Statins include atorvastatin (Lipitor), fluvastatin (Lescol), lovastatin (Altoprev), pitavastatin (Livalo), pravastatin (Pravachol), rosuvastatin (Crestor) and simvastatin (Zocor).

Following is from Mayo clinic.

Very rarely, statins can cause life-threatening muscle damage called rhabdomyolysis (rab-doe-my-OL-ih-sis). Rhabdomyolysis can cause severe muscle pain, liver damage, kidney failure and death. The risk of very serious side effects is extremely low, and calculated in a few cases per million of patients taking statins. Rhabdomyolysis can occur when you take statins in combination with certain drugs or if you take a high dose of statins.

LIVER DAMAGE
Occasionally, statin use could cause an increase in the level of enzymes that signal liver inflammation.
Contact your doctor immediately if you have unusual fatigue or weakness, loss of appetite, pain in your upper abdomen, dark-colored urine, or yellowing of your skin or eyes.

BLOOD SUGAR
It's possible your blood sugar (blood glucose) level may increase when you take a statin, which may lead to developing type 2 diabetes. The risk is small but important enough that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning on statin labels regarding blood glucose levels and diabetes.

The FDA warns on statin labels that some people have developed memory loss or confusion while taking statins.

The following in depth article is very informative, dangers of statins.

http://www.anh-usa.org/the-grave-dangers-of-statin-drugs-and-the-surprising-benefits-of-cholesterol/

Just a few points from the above link...

I will not tell you to quit taking statins if you are... But I will advise you to seriously look into the reams of data and negative testimonies regarding the bad things that have resulted from their use.

A man I am acquainted with says in regard to a post I started on another site;

John Stiles, longtime friend, Vietnam vet.

Frank, I was hurting all over, hips, knees and shoulders/elbows when I quit Simvistatin and in a week or so my pains subsided almost 100%, my hippy P/C doctor immediately prescribed a different medicine but I never took a single pill...I don't know where my cholesterol is now, but it was 299 when I started the meds. I bet money it's nowhere near that now, at my age (69) and height; #167 is not outta the ballpark! And I don't eat near as much as I did back when I started the meds. But I don't really care either...my quality of life is better than it was on statins!

Another said yesterday;

I have considered my symptoms and noted tingling and burning sensation in my hands, leg cramps, and general fatigue. I stopped statin (40 Mg dose Simvastin) last week and I note that I have less fatigue immediately. My measured total cholesterol is 140. Why in the hell did that doctor think I needed Statins? I would like to keep this thread alive for a year or so as a forum to follow the results of abandoning statins. BTW, I stopped blood pressure medicine a short time ago as well. My blood pressure was staying 115/62 and <60 heart beat. I didn't need blood pressure medication either! I still have the symptom of being cold all the time. That may be 69 years old, or medication. I look forward to finding out. I will take Gout medication even though Uric Acid is at the low end of the measurement range. I DO NOT WANT GOUT ever again! I continue to take CQ10 for awhile.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and ScottA

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I eat a healthy diet - fruit, vegatables, whole grain and limited dairy + chicken and fish.

Without taking a statin, my cholesterol is so high that the doctor cannot give me a number

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lipitor can cause Diabetes ...check it out...
I know two people..who developed diabetes from it...not knowing at the time that it can do that. Now they have high cholesterol and diabetes.
One is my son in law, a surgeon...the other my own brother.
Doctors dole it out like candy.

I am sure our great grandad's etc had high cholesterol, except 'back then' no doctor had invented statins that he needed to peddle.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know two people..who developed diabetes from it...not knowing at the time that it can do that. Now they have high cholesterol and diabetes.

I am sure our great grandad's etc had high cholesterol, except 'back then' no doctor had invented statins that he needed to peddle.

Well, i just had a stent placed last august - 90% blockage. I was lucky it was caught before a heart attack because i would not have survived it. I have never smoked or been overweight. I have diabetes, hypertention, heart disease and high cholesterol. Some people need statins. Nobody believes in medications until they do

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, i just had a stent placed last august - 90% blockage. I was lucky it was caught before a heart attack because i would not have survived it. I have never smoked or been overweight. I have diabetes, hypertention, heart disease and high cholesterol. Some people need statins. Nobody believes in medications until they do

I have to take 4 per day.
Heart trouble, A-Fib, high blood pressure, so on Warfarin for blood thinning,
plus one to slow the heart rate...
I have never smoked or dunk alcohol..have been about 15 pounds over weight...I probably am right now again.
But, not being " spiritual enough" or have faith enough, to get healed every time....agree, when you need a doctor , you need one.
God can and does work through them also.

Bless you...H

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA and aspen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My heart is once again doing it's own thing...it and I are not "walking together"
It is bouncing all over the place.
I was thinking this morning. in Reference to what I wrote about the baby turtles and the butterfly trying to emerge..
Both, God ordained it to be a struggle for them...and both for the purpose that brings life.
At the age that I am , many of our friends are passing through the door into the next step of life...from life, to life.
But many have not gone through that door easily.
My carnal mind tells me that as Christians our passing through should be much easier that those who don't love the Lord...but , as usual, often the rain falls on the just and the unjust too. No extra perks for the Just.
Except this one wonderful thing....we have strong confidence of what is on the other side of the next door that we must struggle through.
My husbands cousin just died. He did not follow the Lord...but he died doing what he loved.....eating at a fancy restaurant with a double whisky in his hand.
What a way to go ! No struggle, but also, no promise on the other side of the door.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Except this one wonderful thing....we have strong confidence of what is on the other side of the next door that we must struggle through.
or at least we have apparently made up our minds, yes
...promise on the other side of the door.
"I came that you might have life, and more abundantly; but if you wanna believe you can party with Me eternally after you die, that's cool too" lol

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
or at least we have apparently made up our minds, yes

"I came that you might have life, and more abundantly; but if you wanna believe you can party with Me eternally after you die, that's cool too" lol

Hahaha!! I half expected to 'hear from you' as I wrote it! :D

10 out of 10 for your persistence ... :)

Reactions: Pisteuo

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Hahaha!! I half expected to 'hear from you' as I wrote it! :D

10 out of 10 for your persistence ... :)
ha ya, sry, thief in the night is just too vivid an image there for me to keep quiet lol

"eternal" is poorly translated at best imo.
And another thing, we're quick enough to imagine mass exodus scenarios of Special Snowflakes,
why can't "eternal life" then mean "so you (all) won't go extinct?"
never mind the violation of we do not yet know what we will become et al,
several others

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ha ya, sry, thief in the night is just too vivid an image there for me to keep quiet lol

"eternal" is poorly translated at best imo.
And another thing, we're quick enough to imagine mass exodus scenarios of Special Snowflakes,
why can't "eternal life" then mean "so you (all) won't go extinct?"
never mind the violation of we do not yet know what we will become et al,
several others

Well I guess it is just a "wait and see" thing.

At least now we 'more or less' know how each other thinks. :D

Reactions: pia and bbyrd009

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every one must do as they see fit. I would never tell anyone to stop taking prescribed meds. I take allopurinol for gout, a thyroid booster Levothoroxine, a prostate pill tamsulosin, potassium. That's it.

I've had faith to live through heart problems. Forty years ago God called me out in a service and said my heart was healed. This after horrible time of fearful pains. I never saw a doctor.

Was I afraid YES! after the prophet called me out for heart problems I was prayed for and received it by faith. What was the result? Attacks of pain and fear from the devil. But I believed.

Next day after church pains hit my heart as I was climbing stairs at work. The devil said you're going to die. I ran up the stairs and told him if he had the power to get past the blood and word of Jesus he had my permission to kill me.

Over the years many pains have come against me. I have wept and prayed and God has never sent me a letter saying He has a limitation on how long you are healed.

Is faith demanding? Yes. Please raalize my pain and fears are as large as anyone. I live on a regimen of pain meds for an inoperable condition and trust God daily to go on. The things I can get rid of I do. We have e a great family doctor that allows me to lay hands on him and pray, something not often found.

I really believe God wants me well and pain free despite daily battles. The statins have caused obvious problems and have been trashed. There are other methods and meds for any chlorestoral problems and several friends are dealing with this.

I read way too many testimonials about horrible devastating side effects, aside from ours, to continue taking them. If you can take them without problems and they help...

My brother takes 18 daily meds to stay alive so I'm doing good.

Last edited:

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and for the vitiligo?

:D

It's only in the nether regions so no one notices. By the way how's yours? Hope the red shoe polish helps hide it..but it was never too noticeable in albinos I hear...

Defoliated armpit syndrome is actually not a big deal...

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kratom can be very dangerous for people who have chronic disease or taking prescription medication - it does have side effects btw

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There have been many deaths from kratom and it's illegal in many states including Arkansas where I live.

Opioids are a drag but I've taken them for years. I discipline myself and do not abuse them. I can take one every 6 hours but often go as long as ten hours. Why anyone would want to abuse pain killers is beyond me. I have had several relatives die of OD's or suicide from drug abuse.

I'm very serious and very disciplined in use of drugs. Any chemical I simply hate, having worked at an agent Orange manufacturing plant in the late sixties. I refuse to use any kind of toxic spray in our house. People use insecticides and other toxic substances with reckless abandon endangering their health and very life.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and pia

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There have been many deaths from kratom and it's illegal in many states including Arkansas where I live.
i expected you might use it a little more responsibly lol.
It's a plant, and it works great, which is why opium-pushers don't like it

you wanna start comparing ODs, you are gonna lose that argument, but bad

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Look I don't know you! I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else. Tiresome!
ah well i'm sorry for being tiresome Frank, but i don't even have to go get proof that opium has caused many more deaths than kratom now, do i? doesn't make opium bad. buy it black market and be proud imo

Last edited:

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello ByGrace ,

OH !! WOW........ I wonder now if that was what my husband had taken ? It sure sounds like it !
He is in heaven now for 2 years......... But was taking some thing ? And found he was diabetic after that.... I do not know if it
is heredity / or even if any one else in his family had it? I do not think so........

I know a few mistakes over the years have happened from some of the doctors we went to , at the time it did not seem bad, but now it
makes me wonder. Lucky we found out !

Reactions: Helen