Daniel`s 70 Weeks.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Daniel`s prophecy of 70 weeks, is very important with regard to God`s purposes for Israel. It is quite detailed about the times & the purposes for this to be fulfilled.

`70 weeks are determined for your people & for your city to finish the transgression, to make an end of sins, to make reconciliation for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal vision & prophecy, & to anoint the Most Holy.

Know therefore & understand, that from the going forth of the command to restore & build Jerusalem until the Messiah the Prince, there shall be 7 weeks & 62 weeks; the street shall be build again, & the wall, even in troublesome times.

After the 62 weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; & the people of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city & the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, & till the end of the war desolations are determined.

Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week. But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice & offering. On the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, even until the consummation which is determined, is poured out on the desolate.` (Dan. 9: 24 – 27)

My question is –

`What do you believe concerning the `70 Weeks?` Please use other scriptures when discussing as we know that NO doctrine is built upon one scripture or a symbol.

Thank you, Marilyn.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 70 Weeks were given by Gabriel to Daniel as the means not only to reveal the future of the Jews and Jerusalem, but also by which Daniel was to have "skill and understanding" regarding the only portion of chapter 8 prophecy which was not fully explained - the "vision" of the 2,300 Days.

In chapter 8, the two words for "vision" are "hazon", which refers to the entire vision, and "mareh", which refers only to the uninterpreted portion of the prophecy - the 2,300 Days, which so sickened and confused Daniel. In chapter 9, when Gabriel comes to give Daniel "skill and understanding", he tells Daniel to "understand the matter and consider the vision" ("mareh"), an undeniable link to the 2,300 Days vision which proves the prophecies are connected. Since the 70 Weeks are "cut off" from the 2,300 Days, the starting point of the 70 Weeks must also be the starting point of the 2,300 Days. This is hard evidence to show that "unto 2,300 days then shall the Sanctuary be cleansed" has nothing to do with literal Israel, because at the expiration of the 2,300 days, there was no Jewish temple on earth to cleanse, but this prophecy led to the discovery of the Heavenly Temple and our High Priest Jesus and, in direct opposition to the prevailing belief that Jesus wasn't coming back until after until after the "1,000 years of peace", Jesus was coming very soon. This teaching was rejected by all mainline Christian denominations until Billy Graham started preaching that Jesus was coming soon and now everyone has jumped on the bandwagon along with those 19th century students of prophecy.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Marilyn C said:
My question is –

`What do you believe concerning the `70 Weeks?` Please use other scriptures when discussing as we know that NO doctrine is built upon one scripture or a symbol.

Thank you, Marilyn.
Hi Marilyn, notice the word "kala" below. The hebrew language can really give you a better understanding of the 70th weeks...

The 70 weeks are about the people of Israel Dan 9:20-24 NIV. Jesus will finally put an end to sin for unbelieving Israel at the end of the 70th week when He lands on earth again. In end times prophecy that day is called "the day of atonement". It is one of the seven Feasts of the Lord. He will finally atone for wickedness.

There's two kinds of atonement. The atonement of sins for those who come to faith in Jesus Christ..Rom 3:25 NIV, Heb 2:17 NIV, 1 John 2:2 NIV, 1 John 4:10 NIV.

And then there's the atonement of sins for Israel at the end of the 70th week on the Day of Atonement..

Lev 23:26-32 NIV, Ezek 16:59-63 NIV, Ezek 36:33 NIV, Ezek 37:23 NIV, Dan 9:20-24 NIV, Zech 3:9 NIV, Zech 9:14-17 NIV, Zech 10:6-12 NIV, Zech 14:4 NIV, Rom 11:25-27 NIV

Note 1: According to Dan 9:24 NIV, the following six major things must be accomplished during the 70-week prophecy:

Finish the transgression - The English word 'finish' is translated from the Hebrew word 'kala', which means 'to restrict', 'hold back', or 'prohibit'. When transgressions are restricted or held back (kala), they do not exist.

Make an end of sins - "To make an end" is translated "chatham" which means to seal, affix a seal, seal up. Sin is the violation of God's law. If there is no sin, there cannot be a violation. Therefore, whatever will happen during this prophecy has the ability to put an end to the violation of God's law.

Make reconciliation for iniquity (i.e., lawlessness) - The English word 'reconciliation' is translated from the Hebrew word 'kaphar', which has a purely theological meaning. It refers to the process by which physical defilement (impurity) and spiritual and moral sin is covered or set aside. When 'kaphar' is accomplished, the breach between man and God is healed.

Bring in everlasting righteousness - Everlasting righteousness cannot exist where a violation of God's law exists; because, to be totally righteous is to be God-like in every aspect of one's being. Whatever happens during this prophecy makes it possible for one to remain perpetually righteous.

Seal up the vision and prophecy - The English word 'seal' is translated from the Hebrew word 'chatham', which means 'to bring to an end'. Therefore, if the vision and prophecy are brought to an end, everything within Daniel's vision and within the prophecy that was revealed to him will culminate in the final event of the prophecy, which is the anointing of the Most Holy.

Anoint the Most Holy - The English word 'anoint' is translated from the Hebrew word 'mashiyach', which means 'to set aside' or 'consecrate for a holy purpose'. The English phrase 'Most Holy' is translated from the Hebrew phrase 'qodesh qoddashim', which means 'the holy of holies' (i.e., the innermost chamber of both the Tabernacle and the Temple of God). Therefore, we can assume that the conclusion of this prophecy is the establishment of a holy of holies where God's spirit-presence will dwell.

Note 2: The English phrase 'most holy' in both the KJV and LBP are translated from the Hebrew phrase 'qodesh qoddashim', which means 'the holy of holies' (i.e., the innermost chamber of both the Tabernacle and the Temple of God). Clearly, Dan 9:24 NIV is telling us that, sometime after the 490 years of national punishment of Israel and Judah, the following events would take place:

1. The new covenant will be instituted with regathered Israel and Judah.
2. The Kingdom of God (i.e., everlasting righteousness ) will be established and rule the earth.
3. People will learn to live sinless lives.
4. The Temple services will again be established as prophesied.

The Kingdom of God will be established after the 70 prophetic weeks are completed. However, it is also clear when we review Dan 9:26 NIV that there is a vast amount of time between the end of the years of punishment and the establishment of the New Covenant and the Kingdom of God.

Note 3: There is still war on earth, even now Matt 24:6-7 NIV. Also notice that the Messiah is killed, but his kingdom is not established...

Dan 9:26 NIV After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[SIZE=14pt]Hi Phoneman777,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Thank you for sharing your view & the `why.` People often forget that detail. So on that point had you considered that Dan. 8 vision occurred in `the third year of the reign of King Belshazzar,` & Dan. 9 concerns `the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus.` A few years difference there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The `why` factor to me is related to Daniel`s finding Jeremiah`s prophecy of the 70 years of captivity. This is what he was praying & fasting about. And that is what the angel Gabriel came to give him understanding. Ever thought of that? (Dan. 9: 1 – 23)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]As to the 2300 days I would like to write on that after this thread if you would like to discuss it there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Marilyn.[/SIZE]

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[SIZE=14pt]Hi ATP,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Thank you for joining the conversation & giving your comments. I do appreciate your very good overview with scriptures. Yes the atonement for Israel the one their yearly feast looked forward to. (the day of Atonement). I have printed off your notes as I will look into all your scriptures. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Now just a couple of questions.[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=14pt]I see the `end of sin,` as in Israel`s National rebellion against God, not that sin will end for death is the last enemy at the end of the millennium.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=14pt]Do you know the `why` God made the 70 weeks, ie the number 490 years.[/SIZE]

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Marilyn C said:
My question is –

`What do you believe concerning the `70 Weeks?`
In Daniel 9:24-27, verse 24 gives the exact time frame of Messiah, 70 weeks were determined or 490 years to fulfill the prophesy. From the time of Daniel, 457 years to Messiah, there are seven weeks and sixty two weeks, that is 69 weeks or 483 years. That brings us up to 27 A.D. which was the start of Jesus 3.5 year ministry. After threescore and 2 weeks (vs 26) Messiah would be cut-off (killed 31 A.D) mid 70th week. The second half of the 70th week doesn't follow consecutively, but is fulfilled in the end times. The "prince who is to come" is the beast from the sea (Daniel 8:23-27), and the "little horn" (Daniel 7:8) is the antichrist. This is the 7 year tribulation, shortened to the second half of the 70th week or 3.5 years...That's my take on it, but it seems if you ask 5 preachers, you'll get 5 different time tables and interpretations.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marilyn C said:

[SIZE=14pt]Thank you for sharing your view & the `why.` People often forget that detail. So on that point had you considered that Dan. 8 vision occurred in `the third year of the reign of King Belshazzar,` & Dan. 9 concerns `the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus.` A few years difference there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The `why` factor to me is related to Daniel`s finding Jeremiah`s prophecy of the 70 years of captivity. This is what he was praying & fasting about. And that is what the angel Gabriel came to give him understanding. Ever thought of that? (Dan. 9: 1 – 23)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]As to the 2300 days I would like to write on that after this thread if you would like to discuss it there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Marilyn[/SIZE]
The 70th Week was fulfilled by Christ.

• It was He Who "in the midst of the week" caused the sacrifices and oblations to cease to have any value in God's sight. It was He Who "confirmed the covenant with many for one week", first in person and then through them that heard Him (Hebrews 2:3 KJV).
  • "The people of the prince that shall come" was either the Roman soldiers of Prince Titus or the Jews of Prince Jesus who by rejecting Him, brought destruction to Jerusalem.
  • It was the presence of the Roman Sun worship standards planted in the midst of the sacred ground first outside the temple walls and then inside the city and temple which was the Abomination that makes Desolate, as in the case of the progressively greater abominations of Ezekiel 8 which culminated with the most offensive of all in the sight of God - His priests with their backs to Him worshiping the Sun.
This view of the 70 Weeks is standard Protestant Historicism, which is in direct opposition to Jesuit "Left Behind" Futurism, which only began to get traction among non-Catholics less than a hundred years ago.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Marilyn C said:

The 70th week is actually still future.

Note 3: There is still war on earth, even now Matt 24:6-7 NIV. Also notice that the Messiah is killed, but his kingdom is not established...

Dan 9:26 NIV After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reasoning that God "cut off" the 70 Weeks to bring about the 6 objectives ("finish the transgression and make and end of sins...") and then concluding that since transgression and sin still exist, this means that the 70 Weeks are not yet ended - hence the "gap theory" - is flawed, subjective exegesis. There is nothing in the passage that demands these objectives be met before the end of the 70 Weeks.

The word "to" in "to finish the transgression and to make an end of sins., etc.", can be simply an indication for the "why" the 70 Weeks were cut off, not necessarily a "when" these 6 objectives must be met. This more than plausible alternative reading should be seen as a serious challenge to the Jesuit Futurist "gap theory" view by all accept those who can only find support for their ideas in subjective interpretation of Scripture.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ATP said:
Because God loves math.
Hi ATP, (Phoneman & Dan)

`Because God loves maths`....... :D .with multiples of seven. (meaning sacred, complete).

Will answer all tomorrow when have more time.

Blessings, Marilyn.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
Reasoning that God "cut off" the 70 Weeks to bring about the 6 objectives ("finish the transgression and make and end of sins...") and then concluding that since transgression and sin still exist, this means that the 70 Weeks are not yet ended - hence the "gap theory" - is flawed, subjective exegesis. There is nothing in the passage that demands these objectives be met before the end of the 70 Weeks.

The word "to" in "to finish the transgression and to make an end of sins., etc.", can be simply an indication for the "why" the 70 Weeks were cut off, not necessarily a "when" these 6 objectives must be met. This more than plausible alternative reading should be seen as a serious challenge to the Jesuit Futurist "gap theory" view by all accept those who can only find support for their ideas in subjective interpretation of Scripture.
If God put an end to sins and the 70 weeks are past, then why do people still sin?

Make an end of sins - "To make an end" is translated "chatham" which means to seal, affix a seal, seal up. Sin is the violation of God's law. If there is no sin, there cannot be a violation. Therefore, whatever will happen during this prophecy has the ability to put an end to the violation of God's law.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
If God put an end to sins and the 70 weeks are past, then why do people still sin?

ATP, if I told you, "I took two weeks time off from work to end world hunger", you fully understand that the word "to" is a "why" preposition indicating why I'm taking off from work, not a "when" preposition demanding that world hunger will cease to exist when the two weeks are over.

In the same way, the word "to" in "Seventy weeks are determined to finish the transgression and to make an end of sins..." is a "why" preposition indicating why the 70 Weeks were determined, not a "when" preposition demanding that transgression and sin will cease to exist when the 70 Weeks are over.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
ATP, if I told you, "I took two weeks time off from work to end world hunger", you fully understand that the word "to" is a "why" preposition indicating why I'm taking off from work, not a "when" preposition demanding that world hunger will cease to exist when the two weeks are over.

In the same way, the word "to" in "Seventy weeks are determined to finish the transgression and to make an end of sins..." is a "why" preposition indicating why the 70 Weeks were determined, not a "when" preposition demanding that transgression and sin will cease to exist when the 70 Weeks are over.
Is sin no longer? Is lawlessness no longer? Does everlasting righteousness exist right now? No, No and No.

Make reconciliation for iniquity (i.e., lawlessness) - The English word 'reconciliation' is translated from the Hebrew word 'kaphar', which has a purely theological meaning. It refers to the process by which physical defilement (impurity) and spiritual and moral sin is covered or set aside. When 'kaphar' is accomplished, the breach between man and God is healed.

Bring in everlasting righteousness - Everlasting righteousness cannot exist where a violation of God's law exists; because, to be totally righteous is to be God-like in every aspect of one's being. Whatever happens during this prophecy makes it possible for one to remain perpetually righteous.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I believe that "to make an end of sins" comes at the very end of the 70 weeks that were determined, sin ends after the days of tribulation when Christ returns in judgement.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Is sin no longer? Is lawlessness no longer? Does everlasting righteousness exist right now? No, No and No.

You obviously believe that sin and transgression must end before the expiration of the 70 Weeks. Where in Daniel 9 does it say that this is the case?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dan57 said:
I believe that "to make an end of sins" comes at the very end of the 70 weeks that were determined, sin ends after the days of tribulation when Christ returns in judgement.
Why can't the 70 Weeks expire in Jesus' day 490 years after they began, while sin continues on for another 2,000 years to our day?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
You obviously believe that sin and transgression must end before the expiration of the 70 Weeks. Where in Daniel 9 does it say that this is the case?
What else could "chatham" mean here...

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
Why can't the 70 Weeks expire in Jesus' day 490 years after they began, while sin continues on for another 2,000 years to our day?
You're seriously asking this? :rolleyes:

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Phoneman777, ATP & Dan75,

WHY did God say 70 weeks.

Always good to start with `why` God does something as then the details make more sense, I believe.

Seven, 7 – the Hebrew `shibah` the number seven, the sacred full one. From the Hebrew `shaba,` meaning to be complete.

Thus I see that when God rested on the seventh day that He was showing the complete cycle for a week of days – a unit of seven. Now we know that God told Israel to also rest on the 7th day. Then when Israel was in their own land He told them to give the land a rest every 7 years. However Israel did not obey the Lord & eventually they went into exile so that the land could fulfil its Sabbaths. God said –

`And those who were escaped from the sword he (King Nebuchadnezzar) carried away to Babylon, where they became servants to him & his sons until the reign of the kingdom of Persia, to fulfil the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her Sabbaths. As long as she lay desolate she kept Sabbath, to fulfil seventy (70) years.` (2 Chron. 36: 20 & 21)

Then when Daniel was in Babylon he read the prophecy of Jeremiah & realised that the 70 years was nearly up. (Jer. 25: 12)

`In the first year of his reign (Darius the Mede) I, Daniel, understood by the books the number of the years specified by the word of the Lord, given through Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish 70 years in the desolations of Jerusalem. ` (Dan. 9: 2)

So Daniel gets to prayer, humbles himself & seeks God for his nation. God replies telling Daniel that it is not only 70 years for the land`s Sabbath`s rest but that there are `70 X 7` years for the people of Israel & Jerusalem, to bring an end to the national rebellion against God. (Dan. 9)

Thus I see –
70 years exile for the land to have its Sabbath rest, (for every 7th year) &
70 X 7 years for the nation of Israel (people) & the city, Jerusalem to complete the national rebellion & bring in everlasting righteousness.

For 490 years Israel did not obey God but went their own way. The first exile, 70 years was for the land to have its rest, (every 7th year) while all the years the people were in rebellion, (490) also had to come under God`s chastisement.

This we see comes to an end when Christ returns to the Mount of Olives & goes into Jerusalem to connect with the people of Israel.

`The Lord will save the tents of Judah first, so that the glory of the house of David & the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem shall not become greater than that of Judah......And I will pour on the house of David & on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace & supplication; then they will look on me whom they have pierced; they will mourn for Him as one mourns for His only son, & grieve for Him as one grieves for a first-born.` (Zech. 12: 7 & 10)

Marilyn.