Day of Rest or day of death

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Discovery: Why did God impose the Sabbath day rest with a Death Penalty for violation of His Spoken Ordained Commandment?

"Then Moses gathered all the congregation of the children of Israel together, and said to them,
“These are the words which the Lord has commanded you to do: Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh day shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest to the Lord.
Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death." - exodus 35:1-2

How does this pertain to:
a.) Why was it mandated to the Jews/OT
b.) Is it carried over in the Gospel
c.) Christ
d.) for the Jew only
e.) does it apply to Gentiles
f.) does it apply to His Church - if yes - what manner = same or different

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the benefit of all, please choose from a.) thru f.) and respond accordingly.

Thank You

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Discovery: Why did God impose the Sabbath day rest with a Death Penalty for violation of His Spoken Ordained Commandment?

"Then Moses gathered all the congregation of the children of Israel together, and said to them,
“These are the words which the Lord has commanded you to do: Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh day shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest to the Lord.

c.) Christ
d.) for the Jew only
Remember they were slaves for over 400 years, required to work 7days/wk if Pharoah so willed them to. God showed them mercy, freed His people from bondage and broke their 7 day work cycle and gave them a break to worship.
It was a LAW to them to abide by -- they werw the test case for the world. The Law is a standard of righteousness for the rest of us too. We see what sin is when we bump into it over and over and fail. Thankfully Jesus fulfilled the Law for us. He is our Sabbath REST. We rest in Him 24/7.
I undersrand the Jews had 256 Sabbath laws to abide by. It was very difficult to keep and a burden. That is not a yoke that God intended for the Gentiles to bear.
Jesus liberated us from the bondage of the Law of sin. Sin led to death and that has been forgiven. We are under Grace now.

• Love
Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember they were slaves for over 400 years, required to work 7days/wk if Pharoah so willed them to. God showed them mercy, freed His people from bondage and broke their 7 day work cycle and gave them a break to worship.
It was a LAW to them to abide by -- they werw the test case for the world. The Law is a standard of righteousness for the rest of us too. We see what sin is when we bump into it over and over and fail. Thankfully Jesus fulfilled the Law for us. He is our Sabbath REST. We rest in Him 24/7.
I undersrand the Jews had 256 Sabbath laws to abide by. It was very difficult to keep and a burden. That is not a yoke that God intended for the Gentiles to bear.
Jesus liberated us from the bondage of the Law of sin. Sin led to death and that has been forgiven. We are under Grace now.
You said: "He is our Sabbath REST. We rest in Him 24/7." = 100% Correct

Everyone that listens to the Holy Spirit speaking thru the Living Word comes to the correct Answer of God.

Now my question to you is this:

Is the penalty of Death for violating God's Rest still in effect Today?
Yeah or Nay = can you post the scripture

Peace

Reactions: amigo de christo

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Day of Rest or day of death​

Tree of knowledge of good and evil or tree of death? Does this mean they (A&E and by extension us) are to remain without knowledge? I doubt it. So in like manner the Day of Rest is not to be aligned or given the option with a day of death. To do so is to do the same thing the Serpent did with Eve......he maligned the point.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Day of Rest or day of death​

Tree of knowledge of good and evil or tree of death? Does this mean they (A&E and by extension us) are to remain without knowledge? I doubt it. So in like manner the Day of Rest is not to be aligned or given the option with a day of death. To do so is to do the same thing the Serpent did with Eve......he maligned the point.
The Serpent was not speaking when the Commandment of Sabbath rest was given along with the punishment of death for working on the day that God ordained as holy.

So we must ask ourselves - Why the extreme punishment of death for something as harmless as gathering sticks for fire to stay warm???

Numbers 15:32-36

Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.

Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Serpent was not speaking when the Commandment of Sabbath rest was given along with the punishment of death for working on the day that God ordained as holy.

So we must ask ourselves - Why the extreme punishment of death for something as harmless as gathering sticks for fire to stay warm???

Numbers 15:32-36

Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.

Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.
Firstly, there is more to the story than meets the eye. And yes, I do ask myself the same question you are asking.
I'm not sure if you are able to hear what I'm about to say but I'll give it a go. I find it difficult to believe everything attributed as being from God is actually from God.

Why do I say this? for this reason. If Jesus is the image of the invisible God, if he represents the Fathers heart then some of the things recorded in the OT and attributed as God's words and or commands just doesn't add up. The blessings and cursing in Leviticus 26 are an example.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Everyone that listens to the Holy Spirit speaking thru the Living Word comes to the correct Answer of God.

Peace
The second death awaits all who enter not in THAT REST . which is this . COME UNTO ME all you who are weary and heavy laden
and ye shall find REST for your souls . BUT DENY HIM and its death for sure and for certain .

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was a particular sign, unlike the other nations around them, it kept them distinct and a "peculiar" people.
Other nations had gods and rituals and the only thing keeping them from blending in was the Sabbath.
I believe the severity of the punishment would end up becoming the ultimste demise of that particular nation.
Their faith in God would eventually die.
So to keep it alive, punishment had to be inflicted to prevent people rom forgetting.
These were a hardnecked and stubborn people.
When Jesus came he reminded mankind the purpose of the Sabbath in the first place. That we must show others what we ourselves were shown.
Whether physical (OT) or Spiritual (NT) , whether we be in a physical or spiritual desert or wilderness, God will always feed us.
He will give us water and food, and provide shelter and protection.
And we should do the same for others that God did for us.

I believe the "day of death" is not so much physical as it is spiritual death.
If we don't remember to have empathy or compassion then we become hardnecked and stubborn.
And this is what kills the spirit.

I believe in this period of time we live in, there is no particular day that should be set aside for these purposes.
As @Ronald David Bruno wrote, we are living in the spirit of the law 24/7/365.
I don't believe there is anything wrong with keeping the Sabbath on a particular day. It could be someday in the future we will need it's rememberance again. And the Jews keep it still. Because for them it is a sign forever throughout all their generations.
And by them keeping the physical we are always in rememberance of the spiritual.

Sometimes we can't know what is ahead of us and or how to prepare for it.
But God knows. And nothing He does is in vain.

HUGS
:)

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was a particular sign, unlike the other nations around them, it kept them distinct and a "peculiar" people.
Other nations had gods and rituals and the only thing keeping them from blending in was the Sabbath.
I believe the severity of the punishment would end up becoming the ultimste demise of that particular nation.
Their faith in God would eventually die.
So to keep it alive, punishment had to be inflicted to prevent people rom forgetting.
These were a hardnecked and stubborn people.
When Jesus came he reminded mankind the purpose of the Sabbath in the first place. That we must show others what we ourselves were shown.
Whether physical (OT) or Spiritual (NT) , whether we be in a physical or spiritual desert or wilderness, God will always feed us.
He will give us water and food, and provide shelter and protection.
And we should do the same for others that God did for us.

I believe the "day of death" is not so much physical as it is spiritual death.
If we don't remember to have empathy or compassion then we become hardnecked and stubborn.
And this is what kills the spirit.

I believe in this period of time we live in, there is no particular day that should be set aside for these purposes.
As @Ronald David Bruno wrote, we are living in the spirit of the law 24/7/365.
I don't believe there is anything wrong with keeping the Sabbath on a particular day. It could be someday in the future we will need it's rememberance again. And the Jews keep it still. Because for them it is a sign forever throughout all their generations.
And by them keeping the physical we are always in rememberance of the spiritual.

Sometimes we can't know what is ahead of us and or how to prepare for it.
But God knows. And nothing He does is in vain.

HUGS
:)
Excellent post - thank you - 100% Agree with you that the day of the week is no longer mandated upon the Blood washed Saint in Christ.

There is something extremely important to God (and for us) as to why a death penalty for violating the Sabbath.

i believe we can find it in the Gospel John chapter 3 and Romans chapter 8

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.
Whoever believes in Him is not condemned = (God's Sabbath Rest Fulfilled)
BUT
whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, = (God's Sabbath Rest Fulfilled)
who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. = (God's Sabbath Rest Fulfilled)

i believe this is why Jesus set people free with healings and forgiveness on the sabbath when He walked this earth.
He still does Today.

Reactions: Ziggy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Excellent post - thank you - 100% Agree with you that the day of the week is no longer mandated upon the Blood washed Saint in Christ.

There is something extremely important to God (and for us) as to why a death penalty for violating the Sabbath.

i believe we can find it in the Gospel John chapter 3 and Romans chapter 8

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.
Whoever believes in Him is not condemned = (God's Sabbath Rest Fulfilled)
BUT
whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, = (God's Sabbath Rest Fulfilled)
who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. = (God's Sabbath Rest Fulfilled)

i believe this is why Jesus set people free with healings and forgiveness on the sabbath when He walked this earth.
He still does Today.
I hear your rationale David however I don't think it's valid. Why? because it is not the rationale scripture puts forward. It is the rationale of those who don't understand the point of the Sabbath rest given in Eden and why it was included in the Commandments given at Sinai.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear your rationale David however I don't think it's valid. Why? because it is not the rationale scripture puts forward. It is the rationale of those who don't understand the point of the Sabbath rest given in Eden and why it was included in the Commandments given at Sinai.
God's Sabbath Rest that was first given speaks of Christ for there was no other Place for man to have True Rest apart from Christ.

Hebrews 4:1-3
Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
For we who have believed do enter that rest,

as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”

This is exactly what the LORD Jesus said in John 3:16-18

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. = TRUE REST

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already,= They shall not enter My rest
because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

c.) Christ
d.) for the Jew only
a. Scripture has no specific reason- so it was Gods decision to do so
b. no the church has no Sabbath day- we are entered in perpetual Sabbath rest.
c. Jesus finished the work
d. Sabbath is a covenant between God and the Jewish nation only.
e. today no. the Mosaic Law is done away with.
f. No. the church has no specific day of rest.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a. Scripture has no specific reason- so it was Gods decision to do so
b. no the church has no Sabbath day- we are entered in perpetual Sabbath rest.
c. Jesus finished the work
d. Sabbath is a covenant between God and the Jewish nation only.
e. today no. the Mosaic Law is done away with.
f. No. the church has no specific day of rest.
EXCELLENT

You did Great except for: a.) where you said "Scripture has no specific reason......".

d.) the 7th Day of Rest was established in God (Genesis) BEFORE the Law so it is binding on both the Jew & Gentile

Under the Law = the six days a man is to work and on the seventh day of the week he is to rest is binding upon all unbelieving Jews with the penalty of death is binding upon all unbelieving Jews.

the 7th DAY of REST is also binding upon the entire world with the penalty of Death for rejecting the 7th DAY of REST = Post #13

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Peace
The wages of sin is death and that will apply to all unbelievers. If you don't believe in Christ, ask for His forgiveness and are washed with His blood, you will die in your sins.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wages of sin is death and that will apply to all unbelievers. If you don't believe in Christ, ask for His forgiveness and are washed with His blood, you will die in your sins.

So then no DAY of REST for those who reject the One who said: "Come to me....and I will give you Rest." - Matthew 11:28

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then no DAY of REST for those who reject the One who said: "Come to me....and I will give you Rest." - Matthew 11:28
They rest from work and worship other things or themselves.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom. God had to be strict when He laid down the Law. Do what I say or die. "Worship me or die!"
In a sense this is the ultimately decision a person must make in life, to reconcile with God, worship Him or die.
If you committed adultery you were stoned to death too. That was a serious offence. You were destroying a person's family, their life was ruined, what they worked for, even financially. Most married young, so years later, most were taken. Who would want to marry you after that, especialy with kids - you were as good as cursed or un the least - "used goods".

My story about "used goods":
I was married more than once. My wife left me for a neighbor two doors down. So I let her go along with the rest of her problems and mine. I had a two year old daughter and so my main focus, from that point on was to be there for her. After five years as a single Dad, I met someone who turned my head. She led me to the Lord. My door was open and so I was drawn to God through her. I went to her church, but Her Pastor was trying to discourage her from getting involved with me because I was a new Christian but mainly because I was "used goods". Well at least I had goods. Anyways, the relationship wasn't meant to last, just long enough for me to get saved and established in Christ. She answered lots questions and was a good witness for me.
The funny thing is, years later I found out that this Pastor (who had a PhD in theology, was a professor as well and was hailed in his youth as a gifted, genius Preacher), married a woman with three kids. What happened to his used goods rule? I laughed when I heard that.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They rest from work and worship other things or themselves.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom. God had to be strict when He laid down the Law. Do what I say or die. "Worship me or die!"
In a sense this is the ultimately de isuin a person must make in life, to reconcile with Gid, worship Him or die.
If you committed adultery you were stoned to death too. That was a serious offence. You were destroying a person's family, their life was ruined, what they worked for, even financially. Most married young, so years later, most were taken. Who would want to marry you after that, especialy with kids - you were as good as cursed or un the least - "used goods".

My story about "used goods":
I was married more than once. My wife left me for a neighbor two doors down. So I let her go along witht the rest of her problems and mine. I had a two year old duaghter and so my main focus, from that point on was to be there for her. After five years as a single Dad, I met someone who turned my head. She led me to the Lord. My door was open and so I was drawn to God through her. I went to her church, but Her Pastor was trying to discourage her from getting involved with me because I was a new Christian but mainly because I was "used goods". Well at least I had goods. Anyways, the relationship wasn't meant to last, just long enough for me to get saved and established in Christ. She answered lots questions and was a good witness for me.
Thw funny thing is years later I found out that this Pastor (who had a PhD in theology, was a professor as well and was hailed in his youth as a gifted genius Preacher), married a woman with three kids. What happened to his used goods rule? I laughed when I heard that.

The biggest 'punch-line' in the Presence of Christ and the Holy Spirit = 'Doctorate of divinity'

Scripturally Speaking = some of the DUMBEST things said comes out from their mouths.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EXCELLENT

You did Great except for: a.) where you said "Scripture has no specific reason......".

d.) the 7th Day of Rest was established in God (Genesis) BEFORE the Law so it is binding on both the Jew & Gentile

Under the Law = the six days a man is to work and on the seventh day of the week he is to rest is binding upon all unbelieving Jews with the penalty of death is binding upon all unbelieving Jews.

the 7th DAY of REST is also binding upon the entire world with the penalty of Death for rejecting the 7th DAY of REST = Post #13
Yeah I forgot that was part of the mandate for keeping the Sabbath, thanks for reminding me.