December 25th

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why do we celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25th?

Actually, not all Christians do; the Eastern Orthodox churches, following a different calendar, will have their Christmas on January 7th.

But it’s a good question. After all, we aren’t even certain of the exact year of Jesus’ birth, let alone the day and the month! Two thousand years ago people were far less interested in birthdays than we are, and of course there were no birth certificates. Nevertheless, ingenious minds have attempted to work it out, using the information given in Luke’s Gospel. The Jewish priests worked to a rota, and we know that the priest Zechariah was a member of the division of Abijah, who were on duty in the Temple in early June. So, if his wife Elizabeth fell pregnant the night he got back home, and since the angel Gabriel visited Mary when Elizabeth was six months pregnant, and if Mary also fell pregnant straight away, and if Jesus was born on his due date forty weeks later… we arrive at early September.

As you may have noticed, there are three ‘ifs’ in that sentence! And actually they are quite big ‘ifs’. We cannot assume that either Elizabeth or Mary conceived immediately (although they may have done); Luke is not as specific as that. And as all parents know, very few babies are born exactly when they are ‘due’! On top of all that, there is not even any certainty about the timing of the priestly rota! No records have survived, and there are various methods of calculation arriving at widely differing answers.

In consequence, any date that we choose for our celebration is going to be completely arbitrary. So why did the Church settle on December 25th? They took over the Roman winter festival, the Saturnalia. (That being the case, we can hardly complain when unbelievers try to take it back…)

But December 25th is just as good as any other date – and actually not that inappropriate (at least in the Northern hemisphere). For it falls just after the winter solstice, which is the darkest time of the year and an ideal time for celebrating the coming of Him who is the Light of the world (John 1:9). At the end of December, although winter is only just beginning (and the third Monday in January has been described as ‘the most depressing day of the year’), the days are already starting to get longer again, and the coming of spring is thereby heralded. Similarly, the hope kindled by Jesus’ coming had to wait a long time (over thirty years) for fulfilment – but the process had been set in motion by His birth.

So happy Christmas!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Deborah_ said:

Why do we celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25
th?

Actually, not all Christians do; the Eastern Orthodox churches, following a different calendar, will have their Christmas on January 7th.

But it’s a good question. After all, we aren’t even certain of the exact year of Jesus’ birth, let alone the day and the month! Two thousand years ago people were far less interested in birthdays than we are, and of course there were no birth certificates. Nevertheless, ingenious minds have attempted to work it out, using the information given in Luke’s Gospel.

That's true. Nobody knows the exact date of Christ's birth.
The Jewish priests worked to a rota, and we know that the priest Zechariah was a member of the division of Abijah, who were on duty in the Temple in early June.
The time of the division of Abijah to serve in the Temple is debatable. I've seen calculations based on the Jewish calendar making Nissan the first month. This is wrong. Rosh Hashana marks the first month in the Jewish liturgical calendar, which gives a different picture of when John the Baptist was conceived. One has to count the months from when the division of Abijah was scheduled to serve at the Temple. There are 3 major Jewish feasts where the "whole multitude" is gathered (Luke 1:10)

The "whole multitude" would only have been gathered at one of the three required feasts, at Passover, Pentecost or the Feast of Tabernacles. It would appear that just before John's conception that the "appointed order" of the division of Abijah coincided with one of these feasts. The only feast that overlapped any of the above dates is the Feast of Tabernacles in 6 BCE, which fell between September 29 and October 5. During these festivals the priests of the appointed order of the division offered the daily offerings (Sukkah 55b), and this was done by lots.18 If Zacharias burned incense during the first few days of his division, then the "whole multitude," would have still been at the festival. The week of October 3 to October 10 of 6 BCE is likely the division of Abijah after which John the Baptist was conceived. http://www.nowoezone.com/NTC07.htm

So, if his wife Elizabeth fell pregnant the night he got back home, and since the angel Gabriel visited Mary when Elizabeth was six months pregnant, and if Mary also fell pregnant straight away, and if Jesus was born on his due date forty weeks later… we arrive at early September.
I honestly don't know for sure. Let's suppose that John the Baptist was conceived in mid-October in accordance with the evidence I presented. That would place his birth date around the summer solstice when the light of the sun starts deceasing. "He must increase, I must decrease" << sound familiar?
As you may have noticed, there are three ‘ifs’ in that sentence! And actually they are quite big ‘ifs’. We cannot assume that either Elizabeth or Mary conceived immediately (although they may have done); Luke is not as specific as that. And as all parents know, very few babies are born exactly when they are ‘due’! On top of all that, there is not even any certainty about the timing of the priestly rota! No records have survived, and there are various methods of calculation arriving at widely differing answers.
Yes, I sifted through dozens of web sites looking for the answers, what a headache!.
In consequence, any date that we choose for our celebration is going to be completely arbitrary. So why did the Church settle on December 25th? They took over the Roman winter festival, the Saturnalia. (That being the case, we can hardly complain when unbelievers try to take it back…)
Actually, the Romans tried to paganize a Christian celebration, not the other way around. There was no fixed date for the Roman winter celebration until 273 AD! The Emperor Aurelian made December 25th a civil holiday because the Christians were already using it to celebrate the Birth of Jesus and he was trying to detract from the Christian celebration! Don't let anyone tell you Christmas originated as a pagan holiday.
But December 25th is just as good as any other date – and actually not that inappropriate (at least in the Northern hemisphere). For it falls just after the winter solstice, which is the darkest time of the year and an ideal time for celebrating the coming of Him who is the Light of the world (John 1:9). At the end of December, although winter is only just beginning (and the third Monday in January has been described as ‘the most depressing day of the year’), the days are already starting to get longer again, and the coming of spring is thereby heralded. Similarly, the hope kindled by Jesus’ coming had to wait a long time (over thirty years) for fulfilment – but the process had been set in motion by His birth.
This was the point St. Augustine made.

So happy Christmas!

Happy Christmas to you!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A year or two ago I did extensive research on the subject (the course of abijah). I came up with the same "ifs" you did and a few more.

Overall its a lot of math work and calendar conversions. I think there are 3 possible dates for the announcement of John's coming. Zach served two regular courses plus 2 holiday shifts BUT according to my calendar work, one of the holidays was either right before or after his regular course.

There is also the possibility of the jewish equivalent of our leap year. Thus, getting the year right is also important.

In the end, I concluded that there is an extreme outside chance that based on this angle alone, jesus could've been born mid January. There are only a few times when Jesus couldn't have been born and Dec 25th is one of them.

On the other hand, remember we can only pinpoint a few dates when Zach received the news; we don't know when John's conception was. Abraham received the promise of Isaac an 23 years later... however, I think its safe to say he was conceived sometime between the scheduled courses.

Overall, using the information in the bible concerning the course of abijah isn't going to produce an answer. Wish it did, but there simply is too many unknown factors involved.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Shepherds in the fields with their flocks...not going to happen in Nov, Dec , January.....
Dec 25th is a pagan celebration long before the birth of Jesus, from ancient Babylon...carred forward by the pagan Roman religion, which calls itself "christian", but is actually steeped in pagan culture...so this Dec 25th celbration has no Biblical significance, and is strictly a tradition of man...Jesus said in Matthew 15 and Mark 7 do not follow the traditions of man, but follow the commandments of God!

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Many have suggested a connection between Hanukkah and Christmas since both celebrations fall on the 25th of the month (Kislev/December). Although the Bible records the birth of the Messiah, no biblical basis exists for the date or observance of the Messiah's birthday. In fact, for more than three centuries, the early Church viewed the celebration of birthdays as a heathen custom.

Yet, the dates of Hanukkah and Christmas are connected. Zeus was seen as the incarnation of the sun. Together with his goddess-mother, Rhea (the Queen of Heaven), they formed the Greek version of the mother/child cult founded in Babylon. Antiochus chose the 25th of the month to desecrate the Temple with his pagan sacrifice because it was the birthday of Zeus. It was the winter solstice, when days began to lengthen. Sun-worshiping pagans, therefore, celebrated December 25 as the birthday of the new sun.

To the sun-worshiping Romans, Zeus was known as Jupiter. He was the son of Saturn and Ops. He was the supreme Roman deity and the father of the other pagan gods. December 17-24 was called Saturnalia (in honor of Saturn) and celebrated with unrestrained license. The Romans celebrated December 25th (the birthday of Zeus/Jupiter) as Dies Natalis Invicti Solis, "the Day of the Nativity of the Unconquered Sun".

In the fourth century A.D., the Roman Church chose December 25 as the day to celebrate "Christ's Mass," a special mass in honor of Christ's birth. It was part of a concerted effort to "Christianize" pagan Roman rites so that all peoples of the empire could be brought into the Roman Church.

For centuries, many segments of Christianity condemned the observance of December 25 as sun worship. A.H. Newman writes: "Christian preachers of the West and the Nearer East protested against the unseemly frivolity with which Christ's birthday was celebrated, while Christians of Mesopotamia accused their Western brethren of idolatry and sun-worship for adopting as Christian this pagan festival. Yet the festival rapidly gained acceptance and became, at last, so firmly established that even the Protestant revolution of the sixteenth century was not able to dislodge it" (The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, pg 48)

From the book "The Feasts of the Lord" by Kevin Howard and Marvin Rosenthal Pg 172

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It’s that time of year again when many Christians encounter claims that pagan deities predating Jesus Christ were born on December 25. In popular films, Internet videos, and other media you can find long lists of gods who were supposedly born on the same day.

This idea is not limited to unbelievers. I have heard many Christians claim that the date of Christmas was intended to provide an alternative to pagan celebrations. In some ways it has become a pious legend. On the other hand, some Fundamentalist denominations refuse to celebrate Christmas for this reason.
Of all the deities of whom people make this claim, only three can be found to come close: Saturn, Sol Invictus (Unconquered Sun), and Mithras.

Saturnalia

Saturnalia was the feast dedicated to the Roman god Saturn. Established around 220 B.C., this feast was originally celebrated on December 17. Eventually the feast was extended to last an entire week, ending on December 23. The supposed connection to Christmas is based on the proximity of the two festivals to each other.

If the suggestion were correct, one would expect to find at least a single reference by early Christians to support it. Instead we find scores of quotations from Church Fathers indicating a desire to distance themselves from pagan religions.

The deathblow to both the Mithras and Sol Invictus parallels is that the Chronography of 354* is the earliest mention of any pagan god being celebrated on December 25. The celebration of the birth of Christ by Christians is also mentioned on the calendar as having been celebrated on that day, which diminishes the likelihood that the pagan feast came first. At the very least, it negates the claim that it can be proved from the historical record that any December 25 pagan festival predates the Christian tradition.

* The Chronography of 354, also known as the Calendar of 354, was a 4th-century illuminated manuscript, which was produced in 354 AD for a wealthy Roman Christian named Valentinus. It is the earliest dated codex to have full page illustrations.
more information here http://www.catholic.com/blog/jon-sorensen/why-december-25

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Wow, so much controversy.
What I do know is that, when I got here, folks had been celebrating Christ's birth on December 25 for over a thousand years. How did it get started?
Does it really matter?

I think that what matters is what is in our hearts. Is Christmas a time to thank God for the gift of His Son? Do you honor Him in your heart during this season?
Or is it all about a flashy tree and a load of expensive presents?
Do you enjoy the closeness of friends and family during this time of year?
Or do you jealously watch the mail to see who sent you a Christmas card....and who did not? And, more importantly, is there money in the card?

Think about your favorite Christmas songs. Are you humming "Joy to the World", or is it more like "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"?

If you run right past the virgin with her Child in the manger, in your hurry to get to the tree with it's tinsel, and it's lights, and the presents, then your Christmas is empty.
But if you honor the Lord Jesus Christ in your celebration, then, like our good friend, the Grinch, you will find that Christmas will come, without packages or bags...

Because Christmas, you'll find, doesn't come from a store.
Christmas, you know...is a little bit more....

I am posting a beautiful piece of Christmas poetry on my blog, "The Barrd's Quill", if anyone is interested. If enough people are interested, I might also post my story, originally written for a sweet little Catholic school teacher from Pennsylvania, who asked me for a piece featuring her favorite saint, Joseph. I tried to sit down and do a character study on Joseph for her...but every time I did, what came out was a Christmas story.
I sent it to my friend, as a special Christmas present, and she loved it.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...