Demas was restored.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are those who, in opposition to the doctrine of POTS, otherwise known as OSAS, argue that Demas was an example of someone who fell away and never came back to God (2 Timothy 4:10 is the scripture that they reference).

I beg to differ.

In Philemon 1:9, it is clear that it it is at the end of Paul's life (he was considered to be Paul the aged) that he wrote the book of Philemon. Therefore we should consider Philemon 1:23-24 in this subject matter.

I tend to believe also that the Bible is organized in consecutive order both theologically and chronologically. But even if it isn't, that would open up the possibility that Colossians was written after 2 Timothy. And Demas is mentioned there also as being in right standing with God (Colossians 4:14).

Therefore I contend for the possibility that Demas was a prodigal.

When looking at Hebrews 6:1-8, it becomes clear that if someone is not a prodigal when they fall away, they cannot ever come back to salvation. But if they have merely backslidden heavily but do not turn away completely, I believe that they are prodigals and can indeed return to the experience of salvation (becoming Romans 8 Christians once again from the Romans 7 experience).

If someone is backslidden, they need to consider that according to the parable they are dead and lost. However if they despise the pigpen, it is evidence that they are still sons.

A dog that returns to its vomit is not a sheep (although in the interpretation aspect of the analogy, a sheep could in fact be tricked into eating its own vomit through the deception of the enemy). A sow that is cleaned up and put in the palace will return to the mud as soon as it gets the opportunity. But if you put a sheep in the mud or try to force or train it to eat its own vomit, it will recoil at the prospect and will run for the opportunity to be made clean again.

If you are a sheep and not a dog or a pig, then you aren't happy in the world.

Come back to Jesus! Put your trust in Him. He is the only way to the Father (John 14:6).