Devil and demons in the OT

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
How do you explain that the devil and the demons do not appear once in the Old Testament?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They do appear....in the form of gods that were worshiped by the pagans and certain Israelites who had departed from the LORD.

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
They do appear....in the form of gods that were worshiped by the pagans and certain Israelites who had departed from the LORD.
They were idols and not living beings. Idols that were made of wood or metal.
But demons are living beings

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you explain that the devil and the demons do not appear once in the Old Testament?
The devil appears in Genesis 3. He is called the serpent there and in Revelation 20:2. He also appears in Job.

Revelation 20:1-3--Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the abyss and a great chain in his hand. He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for 1,000 years. He threw him into the abyss, closed it, and put a seal on it so that he would no longer deceive the nations until the 1,000 years were completed. After that, he must be released for a short time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was the devil created bad or was he good?
He was not created as the devil. All that God created was good. The devil rebelled against God and became evil.

Genesis 1:31--God saw all that He had made, and it was very good.

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are our worest enemy,
Lamentations 3:37 "Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?"
Lamentations 3:38 "Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good?"
Lamentations 3:39 "Wherefore doth a living man complain, a man for the punishment of his sins?"
Lamentations 3:40 "Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD."
Lamentations 3:41 "Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens."
Lamentations 3:42 "We have transgressed and have rebelled: thou hast not pardoned."
Lamentations 3:43 "Thou hast covered with anger, and persecuted us: thou hast slain, thou hast not pitied."
Lamentations 3:44 "Thou hast covered thyself with a cloud, that our prayer should not pass through."
Lamentations 3:45 "Thou hast made us as the offscouring and refuse in the midst of the people."
Lamentations 3:46 "All our enemies have opened their mouths against us."
Lamentations 3:47 "Fear and a snare is come upon us, desolation and destruction."
Lamentations 3:48 "Mine eye runneth down with rivers of water for the destruction of the daughter of my people."
Lamentations 3:49 "Mine eye trickleth down, and ceaseth not, without any intermission,"
Lamentations 3:50 "Till the LORD look down, and behold from heaven."
Lamentations 3:51 "Mine eye affecteth mine heart because of all the daughters of my city."
Lamentations 3:52 "Mine enemies chased me sore, like a bird, without cause."
Lamentations 3:53 "They have cut off my life in the dungeon, and cast a stone upon me."
Lamentations 3:54 "Waters flowed over mine head; then I said, I am cut off."

we might want to get the full unserstanding of this.

we always want to blame, or put it on the devil, "the devil made me do it"... no YOU DID.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where in Job?
Job 1:6-12
One day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them. 7 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”

Satan answered the Lord, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.”

8 Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

12 The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”

Then Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You wanna say YHWH is the d'vil?
first thanks for the reply, second, are you going to fall with the rest in lack of knowledge too? listen up, God is a , a, a, "Spirit, see the capital "S" in Spirit. he's not a angel be it good or evil, ok.

now there are evil and good spirits/angels and all work for God, yes, even the devil himself. if you have doubts listen, Job 1:7 "And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."Job 1:8 "And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?"Job 1:9 "Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?"Job 1:10 "Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land."Job 1:11 "But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face."Job 1:12 "And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD."

now the devil had to answer to God, he the devil had to give God a report of his walking up and down in the earth. but the old lie is that the devil and God is in a battle for souls. NONSENSE. the devil has no power except what God give him. see God is in control of Good and evil, meaning he's in control of the devil.

if the devil had any power outside of God, if so, why did he, the devil, had to ask God to remove the hedge from arounf Job? if he was so bad, and had any power of his own, why not just go in on his own and remove the hedge himself?

Just as the apostle Peter said, listen, 1 Peter 5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" did you get that? if the devil was so bad, or was his oen person, why not just jump on the first one he finds? why seek? see, that just told you something.

now another thing. watch how I say this, again watch how I say this, "I thank God for the Devil". who did I thank? GOD. so why did I say that? if it was not for evil we would not be as humble as some of us are today, and oh yes the devil will keep you on your knees in prayer, just let things start to go wrong. and for some who came to JESUS, all was not from his direct call. because the devil ran some of them into the church. after the devil got through wipping that backside, many ... "GLADLY" came to Jesus, and that I thank him for the devil on that. because some head are hard as bricks. but the devil know your every weakness.

see God is in "CONTROL" of EVIL, just as he is in control of Good. listen, Psalms 78:40 "How oft did they provoke him in the wilderness, and grieve him in the desert!"Psalms 78:41 "Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel."Psalms 78:42 "They remembered not his hand, nor the day when he delivered them from the enemy."Psalms 78:43 "How he had wrought his signs in Egypt, and his wonders in the field of Zoan:"Psalms 78:44 "And had turned their rivers into blood; and their floods, that they could not drink."Psalms 78:45 "He sent divers sorts of flies among them, which devoured them; and frogs, which destroyed them."Psalms 78:46 "He gave also their increase unto the caterpiller, and their labour unto the locust."Psalms 78:47 "He destroyed their vines with hail, and their sycomore trees with frost."Psalms 78:48 "He gave up their cattle also to the hail, and their flocks to hot thunderbolts."Psalms 78:49 "He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending evil angels among them."

see, those angels that went into Egypt, they was not the Good guys, but what they did brought about a good thing, it got pharaoh to let God's people go. see, God is in control of both GOOD and EVIL. when God needs a "dirty Job" to be done,...... (smile), what you think evil is for. just like YOU Christian, think you can do what ever you want in God Holy House, well if you don't want to act right God has a "correction officer" just like when YOUR child thinks that they are grown living in your houes and don't want to obey.... well there is a place called juvenile detention center. if you don't want to act right in the home, well just as Parents, God have a juvenile detention center just for YOU, and yes the old devil heads it's up. and will get you straighten out :D ... (smile).

so no, God is not the devil, but he made one, just for YOU and I , us, we all..... :eek: when we get out of order. listen, Hebrews 12:4 "Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin."Hebrews 12:5 "And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:"Hebrews 12:6 "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth."Hebrews 12:7 "If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?"Hebrews 12:8 "But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever read the Book of Job?
What about Genesis?
Well I see it has already been presented.