1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God create evil

Discussion in 'Non-Christian General Discussion' started by Avagabond, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Avagabond

Avagabond Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Canada
    Matthew G started this post, I’m not qualified to respond, only true christians can respond.
    Maybe I can just comment.

Not sure exact verse,
    Nothing of itself is evil.
    However Adam was born of God, walked and talked to God in the garden. However after he chose Eve over God he became carnal minded.
    It’s the “mix” of the two mindsets that create evil.
    The Spirit wars against the will of the flesh.
    Being spiritual minded and walking like humen creates much confusion, hence the need for Christ to carry a sword sharp enough to divide between bone and marrow.
    He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit say etch to the churches, the rest can make their beds in religion.

MatthewG likes this.
  2. ByGraceThroughFaith

ByGraceThroughFaith Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    The God of the Holy Bible is Holy, Just, Perfect, in His Nature, there is no "darkness" in Him. (Good and upright is the Lord; Therefore He instructs sinners in the way, Psalm 25:8; "To declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him", Psalm 92:15; "
    And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone", Mark 10:18; "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect", Matthew 5:48, etc)

God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone with evil (Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. James 1:13)

Evil does not have its origin with the God of the Bible. Isaiah 45:7, some Versions of the Bible read "evil" here, which is wrong. The verse should read, "The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing peace and creating disaster; I am the LORD who does all these things"

The Bible does not tell us of the origin of evil, but that the devil is evil, a murderer, and the father of lies. John 8:44, "You are of your father the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies."

3. Avagabond

Avagabond Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Canada

4. Avagabond

Avagabond Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Canada
    Hi Grace, just a couple questions,

was Jesus Christ the son of God?
    And if yes, is he equal to God?

The Learner likes this.
  5. ByGraceThroughFaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Hi There, hope you are well? Thanks for asking

The Bible Teaches that Jesus Christ is Almighty God, and 100% Equal to the Father

This is seen in the very first verse of John's Gospel, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God". "The Word" here is Jesus Christ, Who "became flesh" (verse 14), when He was Born from the Virgin Mary.

The Learner likes this.
  6. Avagabond

Avagabond Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Canada
    Reason for asking, wasn’t Jesus tempted after forty days on the mount?
    Where did his temptations come from, God or himself?
    After all, no man is tempted of God but man is tempted of his own lust.

And if Jesus was not tempted of his own lust how could he say he “ knows man”?

7. Avagabond

Avagabond Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Canada
    Oops still trying to use this site sorry for extra post, unintended.

8. ByGraceThroughFaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Jesus Christ is the Eternal God, as are the Father and Holy Spirit. Not three Gods, but Three distinct Persons in One Godhead or Divine Nature.

When Jesus Christ was conceived in Mary and born from her, He took on "human nature", but remained Almighty God "Divine Nature". He was One Person with Two distinct Natures, The God-Man.

It was the devil who tempted Jesus Christ to do wrong, never God the Father.

The Learner likes this.
  9. Avagabond

Avagabond Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Canada
    Okay it was the devil, however, the “flesh” is enmity with God. So is our carnal minds the devil? Because the scripture says “ man is not tempted of God but lead astray by the desires of his own flesh (lusts)

The Learner likes this.
  10. ByGraceThroughFaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    temptations to do evil and wicked things come from the devil, who suggests or compels us to sin againt the Lord, as he did with Adam and Eve

The Learner likes this.
  11. Truther

Truther Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    God did not inject evil into the world, but created mankind with the ability to corrupt itself(sin).

They did that very thing.

God made the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and forbade them from eating from it.

Now "eve' is shaking the fruit out of it.

Men and angels are held to a higher standard than the critters. We can decide against sin.

God created evil(people and angels), in that He made the folks themselves that choose to sin, but God never forces folks or angels to sin.

The Learner likes this.
  12. Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    There is no scripture that even suggests that God and his son share equality.
    He was not a “god/man” because there is no such thing.
    Jesus was 100% mortal human and died a mortal death to redeem humanity. If he was God his immortality would have prevented his death. Immortals cannot die.

Free willed creatures can make choices. The first humans were not sin laden and neither was satan when they rebelled and abused the gift of free will. They made a deliberate choice, knowing full well the stated consequences of their actions. There is no forgiveness for wilful and deliberate sin.

Jesus proved by his obedience that all three original rebels could have maintained their obedience to God, but all three disobeyed for different reasons...all of them selfish and with little regard for the consequences.

According to Ezekiel, the devil was a covering cherub in the garden of Eden, (Ezekiel 28:13-15) and obviously began to envy the worship given to God by the humans. He saw an opportunity to take this worship for himself, betrayed when he tempted Jesus to worship him also. All temptation is aimed at enticing intelligent creatures with selfish desires that he can create, like he did in Eden. The devil entices humans with what enticed himself....his own desires and ambitions. (James 1:13-15) Even sinless humans and angels can succumb if they allow themselves to dwell on a wrong thought. This then can then lead to actions that are punishable by God.

Jesus was present and participated in creation so he has observed man in his sinless state and after his fall into sin. He knows man from careful observation since the beginning and also as a first hand observer as a human in the flesh himself. He knows man better than we know ourselves, because he can read hearts and knows what motivates a person to commit wrong actions. You cannot lie to Jesus or offer him excuses.

13. FHII

FHII Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I beg to differ:

Philippians 2:5-6 KJV
    Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

1 John 3:16 KJV
    Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

I do have others... But yes: Jesus was fully human and died. But he also arose and thus, I cannot question his immortality.

The Learner and friend of like this.
  14. FHII

FHII Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It seems this topic has split into two threads (by accident, perhaps). But in one I remember a discussion of Jesus being tempted by the devil. It is technically true that God did not tempt Jesus: the Devil did. But there is something very subtile that people miss: what led Jesus to be tempted?

Was it his flesh? That would be a good educated guess, but it is not correct. His flesh was tempted though. But what drove him?

Matthew 4:1 KJV
    Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

Luke 4:1 KJV
    And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

Jesus was led by the spirit to be tempted. It shouldn't shock anyone... God allowed Satan to tempt Job as well.

The Learner likes this.
  15. FHII

FHII Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Did God create evil? Yes.

1. That pesky Isaiah 45:7 verse says so.
    2. He made the wicked for a day of evil for himself (Proverbs 16:4).
    3. He not only planted the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, but who created it?
    4. God made everything, so if it exists... It was Gods (John 1)
    5. Not only that, but God repented of the evil he thought to do.

GEN2REV and Nancy like this.
  16. Avagabond

Avagabond Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Canada
    Hey fhll like your response, also like pic of clint from the good, bad and ugly!
    Here’s a thought concerning flesh vs spirit:
    Is it possible God created Adam and gave him a flesh form that fit his spirit?
    And God had created humans without the breath of God in them, just beasts of the field?
    After Adam fell from the state of eternal grace his sons looked on the daughters of human beast and saw them to be fair, so took them as wives?
    This would mix the once celestial beings with the terrestrial beings and become more and more confused with what are we spirit or natural?
    Thus the war is the struggle in our very minds of, are we human or Godman?
    Paul was caught with the law over his human mind and the spirit of his inner mind, saying, that which I know to do I cannot and that which would not do I find myself doing, o wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death (human).

The Learner likes this.
  17. Avagabond

Avagabond Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Canada
    Thanks
    thanks for that, so maybe I should be asking who’s the devil, is it not the “carnal mind of the flesh”.
    Humans are simply beasts, with an instinct to survive as other beasts of the field. Unaware of the love and laws of God. So when the two become one I.e. (God-man) their is an instant war? Thus the devil would be the human spirit opposed to the heavenly spirit?

The Learner likes this.
  18. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Hi FHII,
    "5. Not only that, but God repented of the evil he thought to do."
    This verse always makes me sad. Genesis 6:6

Many will accept the fuzzy wuzzy part of the things Jesus said but, want nothing to do with His hard sayings. That's "cherry picking".

He really raised the bar of the Law in the Beatitudes. It truly cuts to the heart of matters and, we should want to try to understand all of it, and happily live it :)

The Learner likes this.
  19. FHII

FHII Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Thank you. As for the avatar, while I like Clint and the Good, Bad and Ugly is in my top 3 favorite films, the avatar is a tribute to a friend of mine who is on this board. It has a private meaning thats just for her.

In a sense... Yes. First.. No doubt that God created Adam. Is that even up for debate? Did he give him a flesh form that fit his spirit? Well... I wasn't there to measure it and see if it was too tight or too baggy. God's a pretty good tailor. I imagine it fit him just right.

I sense there is something deeper in your question, but my answer stands... Even for the deeper question.

You will have to refine the question. In syntax, it doesn't make sense. But when you do refine the question, the answer is (up to a point): yes.

No. Not necessarily. I know the verse you are referring to, but we cannot conclude that there was a mixing of Cain and Seth's linage, if that is what you are suggesting. But your ultimate conclusion is not far off in my opinion.

I cannot come to your ultimate conclusion, but it is interesting.

The Learner and Nancy like this.
  20. FHII

FHII Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Well, there is a lot more. God repented 7 times in the old testament and once in the new testament.

I have no problem with the warm fuzzy feeling we get from Jesus, and we should strive for them. But yeah... Read the OT. God has a temper and even though he sent Jesus, it hasn't changed. Before, you had to do all the law... Now you just have to acknowledge Jesus.

The Learner likes this.