Did i do the right thing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I showed a 6 year old boy Monster Hunter. it's a violent game that's about well, hunting giant monsters. his Mom lets him play M rated games, so i thought it was ok. but was that a sin? I'm scared now because Jesus says that if you cause a child to stumble, it would be better for you to be strangled by a millstone and thrown into the sea.

Reactions: Mayflower

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 22:6
[6]Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Psalm 101:3
[3]I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

1 Thessalonians 5:22
[22]Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Luke 17:2
[2]It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

The word translated "offend" in the above verse can also be translated "make to offend."

Reactions: dev553344

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I showed a 6 year old boy Monster Hunter. it's a violent game that's about well, hunting giant monsters. his Mom lets him play M rated games, so i thought it was ok. but was that a sin? I'm scared now because Jesus says that if you cause a child to stumble, it would be better for you to be strangled by a millstone and thrown into the sea.
I believe you know the answer. You're the parent. You set the standards before your child/ren. Are the things depicted in that video game (and the others he is allowed to play) things that God wants him trained up in?

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you know the answer. You're the parent. You set the standards before your child/ren. Are the things depicted in that video game (and the others he is allowed to play) things that God wants him trained up in?
im not his parent. im just visiting him

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'd be careful showing anything like that to children, but if you feel guilty about it bring it to God. He is willing to forgive you, because of Jesus Christ. The best thing you can do for children is teach them about the Bible. Focus on training them in the right way and if you have any doubts about something, just leave it out, simple as that. You will feel better and anything you can do to point a young person to God is going to be beneficial.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He should be playing age appropriate games, not hack and slash or violent games. More like childrens games.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
im not his parent. im just visiting him
I apologize. I thought you were his parent. Now I see, you're only 19. Is that right?

I still believe you know the answer based on the Word you know and which I posted.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I seriously doubt the child will stumble from exposure to one violent video game, but like brother Devin and sister Mayflower said, keep the video games wholesome and age-appropriate. I'm sure Jesus forgives you. He's like that, you know. Now, let's file that away in the "lessons-learned" folder so you can remember to do better next time.

Reactions: dev553344 and Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'd be careful showing anything like that to children, but if you feel guilty about it bring it to God. He is willing to forgive you, because of Jesus Christ. The best thing you can do for children is teach them about the Bible. Focus on training them in the right way and if you have any doubts about something, just leave it out, simple as that. You will feel better and anything you can do to point a young person to God is going to be beneficial.
@Mayflower Good point about the Bible, indeed.

So do any of the video games that you use display some element of rough and tumble? I don't know a lot about them, but I suspect a lot of them would.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

That game would not be likely to cause him to stumble, it does have quite a bit of blood though and monsters that maybe scary for little kids.

But I would be more concerned if his mum lets him play the modern Call of Dutys (especially if she lets him play online multiplayer), Far Cry, Yakuza or GTA, most violent M rated games aren't just a bit of blood here and there as they used to be with not so realistic graphics, now a lot of M rated games have bad language in them and even some have sex and nudity in them, I remember the first 2 Call of Dutys I don't think I even heard an S word in the original (unmodded) games and blood wasn't as excessive and not as realistic as in most M rated games today, the sound effects were there though, and now too if he plays online multiplayer, voice chat is now a pretty big thing, and some players use a lot of bad language. I myself even try to do a little bit of research of what sort of content is in a game now before buying, even as an adult.

So just be careful what you show him.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower Good point about the Bible, indeed.

So do any of the video games that you use display some element of rough and tumble? I don't know a lot about them, but I suspect a lot of them would.

Unsure what you mean unless that is fighting/killing

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I think in future you need to be very careful about what you allow children to see and hear. It's so easy to make mistakes. And pray for the child that no harm will come to him because of what you allowed him to watch. In general terms I would say that it's best to be over cautious or protective with children rather than making them like you by giving in to their requests for things you know in yourself are wrong.

But don't beat yourself up about it; You seem to have repented of it and God will forgive you for your supposed misdemeanour. If you keep worrying about it you will just get dragged down - so stop worrying and move forward with the Lord.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It probably wasn't a wise move to expose someone else's child to a violent video game without the parent's consent. But eventually they would've found it anyway.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
About 8 months ago my family and I had to deal with a teen who had gotten caught up in a game. His mom was beside herself trying to get a group of christian people together to help him to be set free but to no avail. So she eventually called me and some members of my family.

Not sure what the game was but it took us some time to deliver him from the obvious demon attached to the game. We were dealing with a situation where this young teen was moving around on the floor like a snake, hissing and slithering from room to room. He was eventually delivered but that introduced us to how important it is for parents to be aware of what their children are playing on-line or otherwise. Jm2c.

Reactions: Josho and Pearl