Did Jesus descend into hell per the Apostles' Creed?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to Apostles' Creed:

he [Jesus] descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again from the dead;
Oxford Dictionaries:

1. (in some religions) the place believed to be the home of devils and where bad people go after death
  2. a very unpleasant experience or situation in which people suffer very much
I don't think Jesus descended into hell in Oxford's sense. See Where was Jesus between his death and resurrection?. Some churches decided to change the phraseology:

more churches to remove a needless stumbling block by changing the wording to something like “he descended to the dead” (as many churches already have).
Jesus descended to the heart of the earth.

Also, I would replace "one holy catholic church" with "one holy church".

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Did Jesus descend into hell per the Apostles' Creed?​

Hell is a state not an abode. Jesus was dead from Friday pm to Sunday am.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Apostles' Creed:

Oxford Dictionaries:

I don't think Jesus descended into hell in Oxford's sense. See Where was Jesus between his death and resurrection?. Some churches decided to change the phraseology:

Jesus descended to the heart of the earth.

Also, I would replace "one holy catholic church" with "one holy church".
Growing up in the Lutheran Church we regularly recited the Apostles' Creed, and I never felt compelled to view "catholic" as anything meaning other than "universal"--not the RCC. So I don't care if "catholic" is in the Creed, but I fully understand if you want to distinguish between the points of the creed and the Catholic insistence that unity comes through submission to the Pope.

I also find it questionable about Jesus "descending into Hell." There is a verse In Peter that I do not understand, that seems to indicate that Jesus died and then preached to spirits imprisoned in Hell. But I can't say because I don't really understand it.

I should think, if I was to venture a guess, that Jesus' spirit went immediately into the presence of God, just as he told the thief on the cross, "You will be with me today in Paradise." It did not say, "You will be with me as I visit Hell today!" ;)

If you can make sense out of the following verse, and can explain it to me, I would appreciate it? In context it appears that Peter is speaking of Jesus' being resurrected after the 3rd day, and not *at death,* to preach to the imprisoned who are "disobedient." But you tell me what you think?...

1 Pet 3.19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits

Reactions: TonyChanYT