Did Jesus drink wine on the cross after promising not to drink it at the Last Supper?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
At the Last Supper, Jesus said in Matthew 26:

29 "I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s Kingdom".
This particular wine was probably the celebratory wine (G3631 οἶνος John 2:3). G3631 appears 34 times.

At Golgotha, initially, Mark 15:

23 they offered him wine [G3631] mixed with myrrh, but he did not take it.
Jesus did not drink this G3631-wine as promised.

Some hours later, John 19:

28 After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfill the Scripture), “I thirst.” 29A jar full of sour wine stood there, so they put a sponge full of the sour wine on a hyssop branch and held it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
vinegar/sour wine
ὄξους (oxous)
Strong's 3690: Vinegar, sour wine mixed with water, a common drink of Roman soldiers. From oxus; vinegar, i.e. Sour wine.

H3690 occurs six times.

The Roman soldiers on site drank this sour wine to quench their thirst. Jesus drank this G3690-wine. This was not the celebratory type of wine.

Back then, people often drank low-grade wine instead of water for thirst because the alcoholic content kept bacteria from multiplying in plain water. It was safer to drink sour wine than water. At the Last Supper, Jesus promised not to drink the celebratory wine (G3613) until the kingdom of God materialized. He did not promise not to drink the usual wine of thirst. Jesus did not promise not to drink any liquid (G3690) for the rest of his life on earth.

See also When Jesus had RECEIVED the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,”

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the Last Supper, Jesus said in Matthew 26:

This particular wine was probably the celebratory wine (G3631 οἶνος John 2:3). G3631 appears 34 times.

At Golgotha, initially, Mark 15:

Jesus did not drink this G3631-wine as promised.

Some hours later, John 19:

vinegar/sour wine
ὄξους (oxous)
Strong's 3690: Vinegar, sour wine mixed with water, a common drink of Roman soldiers. From oxus; vinegar, i.e. Sour wine.

H3690 occurs six times.

The Roman soldiers on site drank this sour wine to quench their thirst. Jesus drank this G3690-wine. This was not the celebratory type of wine.

Back then, people often drank low-grade wine instead of water for thirst because the alcoholic content kept bacteria from multiplying in plain water. It was safer to drink sour wine than water. At the Last Supper, Jesus promised not to drink the celebratory wine (G3613) until the kingdom of God materialized. He did not promise not to drink the usual wine of thirst. Jesus did not promise not to drink any liquid (G3690) for the rest of his life on earth.

See also When Jesus had RECEIVED the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,”
I'm not aware of anything in the Bible that suggests Jesus drank wine on the cross.