Did Jesus know the world is round?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a popular belief that in the past everyone thought the world is flat. I have heard it said that Christopher Columbus proved the world was round when he discovered America. The peasants might have thought the world was flat but the educated people knew it’s true shape. They didn’t think Columbus would sail off the edge of the world. They thought it was impossible to reach Asia by sailing west because the distance was too great. If the American continents didn’t exist they would have been right.

Columbus believed the world was smaller than it actually is and that Asia was larger. That is why he thought the land he discovered was in the East Indies. That is also why the aboriginal Americans are still called Indians.

There is also a widespread misconception that the Bible teaches that the world is flat. I haven’t studied much of what the Bible says on this subject but there is one thing I know for sure. Jesus knew that the world is round. Here is what he said about his return.

I tell you, in that night there will be two in one bed. One will be taken and the other left.There will be two women grinding together. One will be taken and the other left.
Luke 17:34,35 ESV

He said that two would be in one bed. People sleep at night. He said that two women would be grinding. People work during the day. He knew that when he returned it would be night in one part of the world and day in another. That could only be true if the world is round.

Jesus was not only a man but was also God. As God he made the world, so it isn’t surprising that the knows its shape.

Reactions: marks

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Return to Me and I will return to you

is what He really said about His return though, wadr
so no offense ok but dont be surprised when your bargain with the grave is annulled

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Isaiah 40:22 ESV It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;

Job 26:10 ESV He has inscribed a circle on the face of the waters at the boundary between light and darkness.

Job 26:7 ESV He stretches out the north over the void and hangs the earth on nothing.

Proverbs 8:27 ESV When he established the heavens, I was there; when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a popular belief that in the past everyone thought the world is flat. I have heard it said that Christopher Columbus proved the world was round when he discovered America. The peasants might have thought the world was flat but the educated people knew it’s true shape. They didn’t think Columbus would sail off the edge of the world. They thought it was impossible to reach Asia by sailing west because the distance was too great. If the American continents didn’t exist they would have been right.

Columbus believed the world was smaller than it actually is and that Asia was larger. That is why he thought the land he discovered was in the East Indies. That is also why the aboriginal Americans are still called Indians.

There is also a widespread misconception that the Bible teaches that the world is flat. I haven’t studied much of what the Bible says on this subject but there is one thing I know for sure. Jesus knew that the world is round. Here is what he said about his return.

I tell you, in that night there will be two in one bed. One will be taken and the other left.There will be two women grinding together. One will be taken and the other left.
Luke 17:34,35 ESV

He said that two would be in one bed. People sleep at night. He said that two women would be grinding. People work during the day. He knew that when he returned it would be night in one part of the world and day in another. That could only be true if the world is round.

Jesus was not only a man but was also God. As God he made the world, so it isn’t surprising that the knows its shape.

you're kidding right? you can't be serious about your hacked view of the scripture you posted.