Did Jesus leave us with a religion??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you read Mathew 23: 1-35 we see what Jesus said of the religious Pharisees of the time. Fast forward to today and we can see that what Jesus said is true in religions today. Most certainly it can be seen in the RCC.

Matt 23:1-16
Woe to the Scribes and Pharisees (Mark 12:38-40; Luke 20:45-47)
1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples,
2 saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.
3 Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.
4 For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
5 But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments.
6 They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues,
7 greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.'
8 But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren.
9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.
11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant.
12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.
14 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation.
15 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
16 "Woe to you, blind guides, who say,'Whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing
17 Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold?
18 And, 'Whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gift that is on it, he is obliged to perform it.'
19 Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that sanctifies the gift?
20 Therefore he who swears by the altar, swears by it and by all things on it.
21 He who swears by the temple, swears by it and by Him who dwells in it.
22 And he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by Him who sits on it.
23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.
24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.
26 Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.
28 Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous,
30 and say, 'If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.'
31 "Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets.
32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers' guilt.
33 Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?
34 Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city,
35 that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.
NKJV

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He left me with clear instructions...not a religion or a label to call myself either.
That's just me, tho...

Reactions: Nancy

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes and No.
He clearly taught that we are to worship him, that he is the sole source of Salvation and that he is to be worshipped in spirit and in truth.

So yes we are Christians, followers, worshippers of Christ and No we don't do this with empty ceremony or rites etc.

Jesus attacked the pharisees etc because what they practiced was all about the outward appearance, there was no inner belief.

Reactions: Helen

oldhermit

Dec 19, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think men have marginalized the word religion in an attempt to convey an idea that could have been easily conveyed in another way. Men have tried to separate the idea of ritualistic or systematic worship from the relationship of the worshiper to God. While the idea of relationship over religion may sound deep, it is really rather contradictory. The etymology of the word religion is from the Latin ‘re’ meaning again and ‘ligāre’ to bind or to tie. Thus, the word means literally to bind back to God. Does this not expressly represent the reason Jesus came?

Last edited:

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think men have marginalized the word religion in an attempt to convey an idea that could have been easily conveyed in another way. Men have tried to separate the idea of ritualistic or systematic worship from the relationship of the worshiper to God. While the idea of relationship over religion may sound deep, it is really rather contradictory. The etymology of the word religion is from the Latin ‘re’ meaning again and ‘ligāre’ to bind or to tie. Thus, the word means literally to bind back to God. Does this not expressly represent the reason Jesus came?

Perhaps to you it is an okay word meaning what you say it does.

However, in today's world religion is not a binding to God. The world is full of religions and not all are about the God that shed His blood to pay for the salvation of all those that trust in what He did.

oldhermit

Dec 19, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly will not deny that is most often the case. Scripture does tell us however, that this is such a thing as pure and undefiled religion. Anything else is a deception.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus attacked the pharisees etc because what they practiced was all about the outward appearance, there was no inner belief.
"Religion" is generally about rites, rituals, ceremonies, and the outward appearance. And unfortunately too many "religionists" are not saved.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples,
2 saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.
3 Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.

This ^^^^^

Peace!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A brief study of the etymology of our English word "religion” will reveal that we might not want to allow the word "religion” to be associated with Christianity. There are several Latin words which may have served as the origin of our English word "religion.” The Latin word religo meant "to tie or fasten." A similar word, religio, was used to refer to "respect, devotion or superstition." Religio was a recognition that men are often tied or bound to God in reverence or devotion. It can also convey the meaning of being bound or tied to a set of rules and regulations, to rituals of devotion, to a creedal belief-system, or to a cause, ideology, or routine. Some have suggested that "religion” may be derived from the Latin word relegere, which refers to re-reading. There is no doubt that "religion” is often associated with repetitious rites of liturgy and litany, and the reproduction of creedal formulas and expressions. Most etymologists, however, regard the English word "religion” to be derived from the Latin word religare which is closely aligned with the root word religo. The prefix re- means "back” or "again,” and the word ligare refers to "binding, tying or attaching.” Other English words such as "ligature,” referring to "something that is used to bind,” and "ligament” which "binds things together,” evidence the same root in the Latin word ligare. The Latin word religare, from which our English word "religion” is most likely derived, meant "to tie back” or "to bind up."

The purpose of Jesus coming was not to "bind us” or "tie us” to anything or anyone, though it might be argued that in the reception of Jesus Christ by faith there is a spiritual attachment of our identity with Him. Jesus clearly indicates that He came to set us free — free to be functional humanity in the fullest sense, by allowing God to function through us to His glory. To some believing Jews, Jesus explained that "you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (John 8:32). Further explanation of the personification of that "truth” in Himself was then made when Jesus said, "If therefore the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed.” To the Galatians Paul affirms that, "It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery” by reverting back to the bondage of Jewish religion (Gal. 5:1). "You were called to freedom, brethren” (Gal. 5:13), Paul exclaims. "Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty” (II Cor. 3:17).

Jesus did not say, "I came that you might have religion, and practice it more faithfully,” or "I came that you might have religion, and adhere to it more commitedly,” or "I came that you might have religion, and define it more dogmatically,” or "I came that you might have religion, and defend it more vehemently,” or "I came that you might have religion, and thus behave more morally.” What Jesus said was, "I came that you might have life, and have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). The life that He came to bring and express within us and through us is His life. "I AM the way, the truth and the life,” declared Jesus to His disciples (John 14:6). The apostle John wrote that "He that has the Son has life; he that does not have the Son does not have life” (I John 5:12). "Christ is our life,” is the phrase Paul uses in writing to the Colossians (Col. 3:4), for Christianity is not "religion,” but the life of Jesus Christ expressed in receptive humanity.

kit

Mar 20, 2018
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think Jesus did make reference to religo (as stated above, to tie or fasten) in Matthew 11:29-30

…29Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For My yoke is easy and My burden slight.”

But Jesus was inverting or re-framing what the intent and meaning of that religious yoke is. That being tied to this is far from restrictive; its true freedom. Its using an existing concept of religion and subverting it for those with ears to hear. Not a religion, but a path. The only path. Christ's teachings will give one the freedom to travel that path successfully.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome,

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome,

Amen...good post...religion has tainted the word Christianity.

James was not speaking about what passes for 'religion' today...when he wrote:-
27 "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

Religion today is an empty shell.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Willie T

AMEN Willie....well said!! Agree.
Actually, as you should know by now, when you see me post more than five lines, those weren't my words. I really am not sure who wrote them.... I collected them something like five years ago. (Yes, I will mail this [which is 17 pages, I think] to anyone who wants it)...….. I also have ten, or so, more articles along the same lines... all about 18-20 pages long.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and No.
He clearly taught that we are to worship him, that he is the sole source of Salvation and that he is to be worshipped in spirit and in truth.

So yes we are Christians, followers, worshippers of Christ and No we don't do this with empty ceremony or rites etc.

You are right, it is all about the outward appearance. I am sure that if you look at what is called a Christian religion you will see that an empty religion is all that exists in most churches. The many posts and replies to posts are mostly about doing good works. Not much is devoted to what Jesus did on the cross. I am sure that they do not understand what Jesus said about the wheat and the tares. even the angels can not tell who is a child of God, but the religious think they can by looking at the person's life. If they sin then they judge that they are not a child of God. The religious do not want to deal with their own sins.

Religious people love to throw the words of James around to support their idea of a works based religion. Even though the James tells us that what he wrote is addressed to the Jews ONLY.. Those that preach from the book of James are teaching that a chiid of God is still under the law and they are doing Satan's work.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Jesus established while on the earth is literally called "the truth" (John 8:32, 44; see also 1 John 1:6), later called Christianity by "divine providence" (Acts 11:26), for there is only one truth of the Bible and has only one accurate "interpretation" of its scriptures, for "truth" is not at odds with itself, not having a variety of interpretations as espoused by the churches of Christendom or individuals.

Just as a lock has only one set of numbers that will unlock it, and just as a wall safe has only one set of numbers and in the right sequence that will open it, so likewise there is only one true "religion". Try opening an online personal bank account with an inaccurate password and you will be denied entry into it or any lock or wall safe with inaccurate numbers and it remains closed.

At Ephesians 4, the apostle Paul wrote: "One body there is, and one spirit, just as were called to the one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all (not a trinity of three)".(Eph 4:4, 5) Since the Bible is a product of God's holy spirit (or active force that he used to create the universe; see Gen 1:2 and Ps 104:30), then to unlock its many "sacred secrets" (or mysteries), requires that a person have God's holy spirit and be attached to the one organized religion that he is using if they are to grasp what the Bible teaches.

At Daniel 2, Daniel tells Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar as to why his body of religious priests were incapable of unlocking the dream (of an "immense image" of a man composed of various metals) he had: "None of the wise men, conjurers, magic-practicing priests, or astrologers are able to tell the king the secret that he is asking. But there is a God (whose personal name is Jehovah) in the heavens who is a revealer of secrets, and he has made known (through Daniel as his "prophet" and a member of his channel of "truth") to king Nebuchadnezzar what is to happen in the final part of the days".(Dan 2:27, 28)

At Romans 3, the apostle Paul establishes that only through one nation, the nation of Israel at that time, were Jehovah's words and pronouncements made: "What, then, is the advantage of the Jew ?......A great deal in every way. First of all, that they were entrusted with the sacred pronouncements of God (or the Hebrew Scriptures, commonly referred to as the Old Testament)".(Rom 3:1, 2) Thus, God only uses one channel or organization to dispense his "truths", not the multitudes of the religions of Christendom who have a torrent of interpretations that range all the way out to Pluto.

Jesus half brother James was inspired to write: "If any man thinks he is a worshipper of God ("religious", King James Bible, Greek threskos meaning "ceremonious in worship, i.e. pious") but does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he is deceiving his own heart, and his worship (Greek threskeia meaning "form of worship") is futile. The form of worship (Greek threskeia, "pure religion", King James Bible) that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world".(James 1:26, 27)

Thence, the "religion" that takes care of others (especially those of the "one faith", Gal 6:10) and keeps itself "without spot from the world" is the one true religion, remaining politically neutral as to the affairs of the world (John 15:19), avoiding religious falsehoods (2 Cor 6:17) such as the trinity, immortality of the soul, hellfire, the cross, clergy-laity class, that all good people go to heaven, etc, being morally clean (Col 3:5, 6), keeping away from being entrapped by the deception of greedy commerce (1 John 2:15, 16), are his "witnesses" (Acts 1:8), going from "house to house" (Matt 10:11-13) with "the good news of the Kingdom".(Matt 24:14)

This one true "religion" is the one that Jesus established and of which is the one that does as Jesus told Satan: (1) "It is written (at Deut 8:3): ' Man must live, not on bread alone, but on every word that comes through Jehovah's mouth" (Matt 4:4), (2) "It is written (at Deut 6:13 and 10:20): ' It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service".(Matt 4:10)

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thus, God only uses one channel or organization to dispense his "truths", not the multitudes of the religions of Christendom who have a torrent of interpretations that range all the way out to Pluto.

Indeed, and John makes it clear, that one channel is the community established by the apostles:

1john 2:18-19

Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that the antichrist was coming, so now many antichrists have appeared. Thus we know this is the last hour.

They went out from us, but they were not really of our number; if they had been, they would have remained with us. Their desertion shows that none of them was of our number

Peace!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
LOL.. I can see that two opposed organisations are gunning for the same glory :)

Reactions: Nancy
B

brakelite

While Jesus certainly promises freedom to those who come to Him in faith, the i self rony is that He also counsels us to take His yoke upon ourselves. To become eternally tied to Him and take the same path of self sacrifice. Doesn't sound very free does it? So what is it we are free from precisely? It ties in with the type of religion that James described. A religion devoid of self. The Pharisees practised their religion to be seen of men. It was a religion of pride and display. Jesus calls us to due to self... To practice a religion that is mindful of others. The fatherless, the widows.
Thus true religion is the practice of doing unto others what you would have others do unto you if the roles were reversed. A religion of habitual repetitive self sacrificial love. Devoid of self... Devoid of display and ostentation... Devoid of ritual and pride... But filled with love, care, patience, compassion.
KJV Micah 6
8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

B

brakelite

Jesus is alive! It is the concept of a living resurrected Jesus that makes Christianity different from every other faith system on the planet. It is the truth, the all pervading fundamental truth, that true religion is about a personal, emotional, and intimate relationship with Jesus Christ that makes our faith in Him unique and life changing. It is Jesus Christ Himself, and through our relationship with Him, who gives us an enduring hope; that brings spiritual, mental and physical healing; that establishes a sublime inner peace (not an existential or new age type peace that results from meditation etc, but a peace that comes from knowing and receiving forgiveness from God… peace with God being the ultimate peace) and offers power to make peace with others; that engenders love, and motivates us to share that love with even our enemies; that strengthens faith to move mountains; that fosters contentment in any situation; and ultimately promises a life of eternal happiness with our Creator, for which purpose we were first made.

Religion becomes a mere superficial appearance of spirituality when all we have is a set of beliefs, a book of doctrinal creeds, or a set of traditions that we follow out of habit or self discipline. While doctrines and traditions are important, it must be remembered that there is in heaven a living, personal loving Creator God who cares enough about you to die for you, who loves you intensely and seeks constantly to be a part of your everyday life.

He is concerned about your problems, and wants to make them His own. He cares about your distresses, your worries, your hopes, your dreams, your ambitions, your successes and failures, your disabilities, your handicaps, your strengths, your talents. And if you give your life to Him, and are willing that He work in your life, He will see to it that you meet your absolute fullest potential in this life, and rejoice and celebrate life in the next. Jesus Christ is one friend you can trust. With everything. Jesus did not leave us with a religion. He left us with nothing but Himself...I will never leave you nor forsake you.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am sure that if you look at what is called a Christian religion you will see that an empty religion is all that exists in most churches. The many posts and replies to posts are mostly about doing good works. Not much is devoted to what Jesus did on the cross.

Religion rebukes, Jesus does not. The woman at the well is a good example of this, John 4. Jesus reveals her secrets that only God can know and with that, she sees His love and tells her family about Him.

Christianity is a religion if it's about what you can do and not what Jesus has done for you.

Reactions: Helen