Did Jesus say that we are supposed to attend church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks in advance.
Some people will refer to the following verses in support of attending "church":

"And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Heb 10:24-25

But then some will consider the meaning of these verses with regard to physically meeting for praise, worship, study or...?

"Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matt 18:19-20

Reactions: CharismaticLady

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the purpose of the church ?
Jesus loved the church that he died for it. Ephesian 5:25-27
Jesus started the new church for people to attend, to find his big love. :)

Last edited:

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people will refer to the following verses in support of attending "church":

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Heb 10:24-25

But then some will consider the meaning of these verses with regard to physically meeting for praise, worship, study or...?

"Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matt 18:19-20
You're making this kind of argument as if the Hebrew passage is taken out of context to mean something other than what it clearly says. Ironically enough, you're also misquoting Christ's words in Matt. 18:19-20 to accomplish that. That passage does not say "Christ is wherever 2 or 3 Christians gather in His name". The broader context in verses 15-20 shows Christ was clearly talking about how judicial matters were to be handled by the apostles in His Church.

Christ clearly said He didn't come to abolish the authority of the Law(Matt. 5:17), therefore He was upholding Lev. 23 commanding God's people to assemble together on the specified occasions for worship. God did not leave that up for people to treat as a recommendation or advice. The word "convocation" means "commanded assembly", not "optional assembly". The Christian's only choice is whether or not they believe God enough to do what He said.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're making this kind of argument as if the Hebrew passage is taken out of context to mean something other than what it clearly says. Ironically enough, you're also misquoting Christ's words in Matt. 18:19-20 to accomplish that. That passage does not say "Christ is wherever 2 or 3 Christians gather in His name". The broader context in verses 15-20 shows Christ was clearly talking about how judicial matters were to be handled by the apostles in His Church.

Christ clearly said He didn't come to abolish the authority of the Law(Matt. 5:17), therefore He was upholding Lev. 23 commanding God's people to assemble together on the specified occasions for worship. God did not leave that up for people to treat as a recommendation or advice. The word "convocation" means "commanded assembly", not "optional assembly". The Christian's only choice is whether or not they believe God enough to do what He said.

I made no argument at all. Read again more carefully what I wrote. I only suggested that some people base their decision to attend or not attend church meetings on those verses. I did not say that I was or that I was not included in "some people".

Reactions: Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks in advance.
The Apostles wrote letters to the churches throughout the region. Who were they writing to if not a church(s) that one should attend with pastors and teachers?

Scripture makes it clear that Jesus built a church on a rock. What did he build if not a Church to attend? But he never flat out said we must attend church. However, if we are following the examples of the NT Christians we would gather on the day of the Lord giving thanks, reading Scripture, breaking bread and singing hymns.

My two cents worth....Mary

Reactions: FHII

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great verse but the context is a sinning brother that there are 2 or 3 witnesses present to confront him with the intention of repentance. That is one of the most abused passages in Christendom and it has nothing whatsoever to do with prayer or gathering together as a body of believers for fellowship but everything to do with a sinning brother.

Dealing With Sin in the Church

15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Ancient

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great verse but the context is a sinning brother that there are 2 or 3 witnesses present to confront him with the intention of repentance. That is one of the most abused passages in Christendom and it has nothing whatsoever to do with prayer or gathering together as a body of believers for fellowship but everything to do with a sinning brother.

Dealing With Sin in the Church

15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

hope this helps !!!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evasion I was challenging your verse that was quoted our of context and misapplied.

hope this helps !!!
What is your purpose in this? I posted as a help to the person who wrote the OP. I posted verses used by people. I made no declaration nor did I state any opinion or belief of my own.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spot on and sound hermeneutics.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your purpose in this? I posted as a help to the person who wrote the OP. I posted verses used by people. I made no declaration nor did I state any opinion or belief of my own.

People make the bible say allot of things that are not true and misapplied. The bible verses, chapters, books have a context as to why they were written and to whom they were intended for with regards to applying them appropriately.

Reactions: Ancient and K9Buck

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People make the bible say allot of things that are not true and misapplied. The bible verses, chapters, books have a context as to why they were written and to whom they were intended for with regards to applying them appropriately.
Perhaps some people do as you say but then again sometimes people do not understand everything that God is saying in a verse. Has God ever sent more than one message in the same set of words? Who knows all of them in every instance? Certainly not me.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks in advance.

First I would have to ask if you are looking for direct quotes from Jesus himself. The reason is I believe (with Biblical reasoning) that he also spoke through the Apostles. Therefore, I believe whatever the Apostles said was also the words of Jesus.

That being said, I believe the answer is "yes" either way, although more clearly so through the Apostles. I will start with the Gospels before moving to the Epistles (and I will be brief as possible).

You won't find a clearcut verse from Jesus that says, "Go to Church". But he did say these things:

Matthew 18:20 KJV
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Ok... So there is a bit of a debate because Jesus was giving recommendations about judging brethren in disputes. However, is it only in these times that Jesus is in the midst of 2 or 3 are gathered together, or does it apply any time? I believe the latter. I'd hate to think Jesus only shows up for an argument and not for prayer of healing or just a praise party.

Jesus also said:

Matthew 11:29 KJV
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

At the time, the only place you could go to learn of Jesus WAS to wherever he was. If you wanted rest, you had to follow him physically. And lets face it, when Jesus spoke, it was a Church service!

Today, we have the Bible to read and we can learn of him that way. But if you follow the conclusion of all that was written, the other option (being hearing the preaching of Jesus) is the intended way.

Jesus said:

Matthew 8:22 KJV
But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Matthew 19:21 KJV
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Both these verses have one thing in common that is the main point: Jesus wanted them to follow him first and foremost. That meant physically coming to where he was and hearing him preach. Again, I assert that when Jesus taught, it was a Church service.

Yes, I understand that following Jesus goes much deeper than just attending Church. I get that. But at the time Jesus spoke these words, he was directly talking about following him where he went to hear him preach.

As for the Epistles, there are some much more direct things spoken. Long posts are not popular and this one is already too long. I will expound later if anyone is interested, but for starters: 1 Cor 1:21, 1 Cor 11:18, Romans 10:14 and yes, of course Hebrews 10:25.

Overall, I find the question of whether we should go to Church easier to answer then I do the question of why people don't want to go.

Yet, unfortunately that is easy to answer also.

Last edited:
Reactions: K9Buck and amadeus

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks in advance.

We fellowship daily at home and with whomever we see by plan, happenstance, stranger or not.
Christ's Church is within me.

Don't know of a Scripture that requires "going" to church.

Glory to God,
Take

Reactions: amadeus and K9Buck

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus: you liked my post before my final edit. Please go back and reread it... It was my fault. I posted it before finishing it by accident.

Reactions: Taken and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus: you liked my post before my final edit. Please go back and reread it... It was my fault. I posted it before finishing it by accident.
Thanks, I reread it but I won't be changing my favorable opinion.

Reactions: FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We fellowship daily at home and with whomever we see by plan, happenstance, stranger or not.
Christ's Church is within me.

Don't know of a Scripture that requires "going" to church.

Glory to God,
Take
Well that has me interested. I absolutely believe in daily fellowshipping at home and have no problem with that. What I am curious about is why you believe Christ's Church is in you. I have heard the Christ is in us, the Kingdom of God is in us, God is in us and God the Father is in us. But I have never heard that the Church is in an individual.

What I have heard (from going to Church and reading) is that the Church is made up of many individuals. In short.. We are in the Church... We make up the Church and the Body of Christ is one Body of many members.

But I would like to see the verse that explains the Church is in individuals such as you and I.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that has me interested. I absolutely believe in daily fellowshipping at home and have no problem with that. What I am curious about is why you believe Christ's Church is in you. I have heard the Christ is in us, the Kingdom of God is in us, God is in us and God the Father is in us. But I have never heard that the Church is in an individual.

What I have heard (from going to Church and reading) is that the Church is made up of many individuals. In short.. We are in the Church... We make up the Church and the Body of Christ is one Body of many members.

But I would like to see the verse that explains the Church is in individuals such as you and I.

1 Cor 3:
[16] Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
[17] If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: amadeus