Did Jesus speak Greek?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
On some occasions, he might have. Mark 7:

24 Jesus left that place and went to the region of Tyre. Not wanting anyone to know He was there, He entered a house, but was unable to escape their notice. 25Instead, a woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit soon heard about Jesus, and she came and fell at His feet. 26Now she was a Greek woman of Syrophoenician origin, and she kept asking Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.
27 “First let the children have their fill,” He said. “For it is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
Matthew 16:

18 I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
The Peter-rock (Πέτρος-πέτρᾳ) pun only makes sense in Greek.

Peter
Πέτρος (Petros)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4074: Peter, a Greek name meaning rock. Apparently a primary word; a rock; as a name, Petrus, an apostle.

rock
πέτρᾳ (petra)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 4073: A rock, ledge, cliff, cave, stony ground. Feminine of the same as Petros; a rock.

See also What language did Jesus commonly speak?.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Peter-rock (Πέτρος-πέτρᾳ) pun only makes sense in Greek.
In John 1:42, John records Jesus giving Simon-Peter his nickname in Aramaic, "Cephas", pronounced "Kay-fas" after the Aramaic word for "stone", "Kafe":

John 1:42 said:
He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of Jonah; you shall be called Cephas” (which is translated Peter (or, "a stone"))

I note Paul also uses Peter's Aramaic name in Galatians and 1 Corinthians.

We'll just call him "Rocky".

Last edited: