Did Jesus walk around in His spiritual body after the resurrection?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
This is a new thread for this topic. I will say this up front so that I don't sneak up on anybody. I don't see why, right now, anyone believes Jesus was walking around in a spirit body. I feel that believing such is an unnecessary and unprofitable over-spiritualization of what happened. Jesus still had scars following His ressurection, and there was no physical body to be found. IE, Jesus was still in the very same body that He died in.(Red_Letters88;57629)
First of all- Both of us have taken Hebrews 13:8 out of context- As I believe it does not refer to appearances. Second, Why are you having such a difficult time with this one? Read Matthew 17 and tell me nothing dramatic happened to the Lords body.
Look, I'm going to need a specific passage and what you think is going on in Matthew 17... Jesus was transfigured *on the mountain* before Peter, James, and John. What of it?
We are talking about the Lamb of God that was slain- you CANT compare that to some ordinary sinner in the flesh. It was clear as day (choosing not to be recognized, walking through walls, just appearing out of nowhere) that this was His old body- holes, scars- Overall appearance- yet this was also a glorified body.
Why can't I can compare Him to us?Hebrews 4:15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.In fact, the very fact that we can relate to Jesus is what makes Him the perfect sacrfice for our sins. We both agree, He came in the flesh, just as we are in the flesh. If He didn't, then the sacrifice is moot.1 John 4:2-3Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 2 John 1:7For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
He could appear anywhere out of nowhere after the resurrection yet he still sat down and ate with them.
I guess I don't know what you mean He could appear anywhere out of nowhere... or how that would be more significant than His other miracles. Jesus performed many miracles while on Earth, moreso as the right time allowed and He revealed Himself as God saw fit. Jesus said that with the faith of a mustard seed, one could move a mountain into the sea. I can explain all of Jesus' miracles by the fact that He is/was the Son of God.
I never said it WASNT the same body (flesh and bone). I dont know any other way to say this- the reason the Lords body still had/ perhaps has those scars and holes- is for US. This is to show US the sacrifice that was made on our behalf. This is not just some guy crossing over after death and keeping the "effects of his death"
Well yeah, of course I agree w/ that. He wasn't just some guy... but He was the Son of God come in the flesh. I don't see the need for a belief that says Jesus was walking around in a "spirit body" after he was cruicified. I can't find that anywhere in scripture. If you can show me where it plainly states this, fine, otherwise I have no reason to believe it.
Once again- I never said he was transfigured in the tomb. I said- Read Matthew 17 and tell me what YOU think its saying/ what happened?
What I think happened was that He was transfigured before three disciples. Why did He take only three disciples? I don't know why He did that. I guess I don't know what you're getting at. We will all be changed in the *twinkling of an eye*, when we are taken to heaven. I don't know what that looks like or why Jesus did this exactly, but if you do, please explain. What do you think happened?Also, how did Jesus walk on water earlier in the Gospels before his crucifixion? Matthew 14:25 -- Was He a ghost as they supposed, or were the disciples mistaken? Walking on water certainly *seems* like something only a "ghost" could do.Furthermore still, consider the following:
Luke 24:38-43“Why are you frightened?” he asked. “Why are your hearts filled with doubt? 39 Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it’s really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don’t have bodies, as you see that I do.” 40 As he spoke, he showed them his hands and his feet.Still they stood there in disbelief, filled with joy and wonder. Then he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he ate it as they watched.
Do our spirit bodies need food? Will we need food in heaven in order to live? They watched Jesus eat... Jesus had just corrected them, He was flesh.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Sorry you are so confused by this its a difficult thought because its so forgeign to our flesh and we are so conditioned to think of spirit as a ghostly image rather than a body.Its really so simple do not over think it Heres an explanation I found that may help The glorified body does not have the limitations of ourpresent body. Jesus appeared in rooms where the doors had been shut andcertainly locked: "Then the same day at evening, being the first day ofthe week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled forfear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them,Peace be unto you" (John 20:19). Christ never passed through closed doorsduring His earthly ministry; only after His resurrection.1Corinthians 15:44 speaks of our death and resurrection: "It is sown anatural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, andthere is a spiritual body. " The spiritual body is what I earlier calledthe glorified body. It is the body of the saints when it has beenresurrected. It is an incorrupt body, but it is a body. Now, the one correction. The amount of time Jesus spent on earth afterHis resurrection and before His ascension into heaven was 40 days. Ofthis time, Acts 1:3 states, "To whom also he shewed himself alive afterhis passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, andspeaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God." We are clearlytold that He appeared for forty days on earth. Also, He ascended beforethe feast of Pentecost which occurred exactly fifty days after the feast

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Also I ask you to consider Angels .. do angels eat? Do they not appear as men in bodies doing things of menheres a couple examples Num 22:31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face. Gen 19:1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing [them] rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground; Gen 19:3 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(kriss;57677)
Sorry you are so confused by this its a difficult thought because its so forgeign to our flesh and we are so conditioned to think of spirit as a ghostly image rather than a body.Its really so simple do not over think it Heres an explanation I found that may help The glorified body does not have the limitations of ourpresent body. Jesus appeared in rooms where the doors had been shut andcertainly locked: "Then the same day at evening, being the first day ofthe week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled forfear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them,Peace be unto you" (John 20:19). Christ never passed through closed doorsduring His earthly ministry; only after His resurrection.1Corinthians 15:44 speaks of our death and resurrection: "It is sown anatural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, andthere is a spiritual body. " The spiritual body is what I earlier calledthe glorified body. It is the body of the saints when it has beenresurrected. It is an incorrupt body, but it is a body. Now, the one correction. The amount of time Jesus spent on earth afterHis resurrection and before His ascension into heaven was 40 days. Ofthis time, Acts 1:3 states, "To whom also he shewed himself alive afterhis passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, andspeaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God." We are clearlytold that He appeared for forty days on earth. Also, He ascended beforethe feast of Pentecost which occurred exactly fifty days after the feast
(kriss;57678)
Also I ask you to consider Angels .. do angels eat? Do they not appear as men in bodies doing things of menheres a couple examples Num 22:31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face. Gen 19:1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing [them] rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground; Gen 19:3 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.
Kriss is right treeoflife. It's obvious that our FLESH can not do the things that our GLORIFIED body can do. Our flesh will return to the ground of dirt cause we are made of dirt. (Ecclesiastes 12:7, Genesis 3:19)