Did Matthew quote Hosea out of context?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, according to our modern formal scientific sense of scholarship.

Hosea 11:

1 “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt, I called my son. 2 But the more they were called, the more they went away from me. They sacrificed to the Baals and they burned incense to images.
Hosea was talking about the rebellious nature of the Israelites.

Matthew cites Hosea out of context in Matthew 2:15 and applies it to Jesus:

[Egypt] where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my son."
One can find quite a few such instances where the NT writers didn't scientifically cite the OT scriptures. What were they thinking?

In Jewish hermeneutics, there are four levels of interpretive principles:

1. Peshat is the simple, obvious, literal meaning of a biblical text.
  2. Remez (hint) is the typological or allegorical interpretation.
  3. Derash digs deeper to search for the intent of the divine author of the text.
  4. Sod unveils the secret mystical meanings.
Context does not deter one from searching for the deeper truth. Moreover, Jesus encouraged his disciples to read the Messiah in the OT, Luke 24:

25 He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.
Did Matthew quote Hosea properly?

Yes, according to Jewish hermeneutics.

Another case can be found when Jesus quoted Isaiah in Luke 4:

19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
Here is the original context, Isaiah 61:2

to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of our God's vengeance, to comfort all who mourn
Jesus didn't continue the verse and mentioned God's vengeance because the year of the LORD'S favor and the day of our God's vengeance are two distinct and separate events. They are his first and second comings.

Did Jesus quote Isaiah properly?

Yes, according to Jewish hermeneutics.

See also May HIS camp become desolate, and let there be no one to dwell in IT.