Did mind–body dualism exist before original sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pittsburghjoe

Jan 20, 2021
West PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have a soul and body today, but were we just a soul beforehand?

Mind–body dualism sounds like wave-particle duality to me. Would that mean we were quantum waves before sin?

Does sin have something to do with physical objects?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mind–body dualism sounds like wave-particle duality to me. Would that mean we were quantum waves before sin?

Welcome! That's some pretty tough questions there and very deep.
I will share some things I have been learning from research as well as the Holy Spirit revealing it to me.
Let's lay a foundation first.
“While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.”
— 2 Corinthians 4:18 (KJV)
Hebrews 11 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹ Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
² For by it the elders obtained a good report.
³ Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

So the foundation is to understand that everything that is physical and can be seen was created by the spiritual which is unseen by the natural eyes

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good point, but. I see where you're coming from. for the question of the mind, for me would be did they walk through solid object, just as the Lord Jesus did with walls, and doors... or as you said, "wave-particle duality", well how about the collapsing of this field as quantum physics points out in the apperance and disapperance of oneself as the Lord Jesus did after his resurrection.

yes, those are tantalizing question about Adam, and Eve. this one I think about. before sin entered into the world, and then DEATH, what if Adam could just walk amoung the fish of the sea, since there is no DEATH before the fall. just something to think about.

Good topic...

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are 3 earth ages...
I have always believed our spirit dwelt with God until we were born.
In the first earth age some have theorized that this was the time that heaven existed on earth until the fall of satan...spiritually.
Then God made a decision to make it physical and spoke it into existence.
Adam and Eve disobeyed God and ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and their eyes were opened and they saw they were naked.....(not physically naked but spiritually because God's glory lifted off them when they disobeyed. )
When God discovered their sin he made them "skins" to cover their nakedness...(not bear skins, wolf skins, cowhide or any such type)
No he made the skins from the dust of the earth and breathed their spirit into the skins.

pittsburghjoe

Jan 20, 2021
West PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does someone 2000 years ago describe quantum waves? "Dust" is as close as they are going to get.

Reactions: WaterSong

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are 3 earth ages...
I have always believed our spirit dwelt with God until we were born.
In the first earth age some have theorized that this was the time that heaven existed on earth until the fall of satan...spiritually.
Then God made a decision to make it physical and spoke it into existence.
Adam and Eve disobeyed God and ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and their eyes were opened and they saw they were naked.....(not physically naked but spiritually because God's glory lifted off them when they disobeyed. )
When God discovered their sin he made them "skins" to cover their nakedness...(not bear skins, wolf skins, cowhide or any such type)
No he made the skins from the dust of the earth and breathed their spirit into the skins.
Actually the Lord killed an animal to provide skins for Adam and Eve as a first example of the concept that the wages of sin is death.

Abel followed that example when he made his first sacrifice and his offering was accepted rather than Cain's.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That sounds like gnosticism to me.

You can be sure that Adam and Eve had physical bodies.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the Lord killed an animal to provide skins for Adam and Eve as a first example of the concept that the wages of sin is death.

Abel followed that example when he made his first sacrifice and his offering was accepted rather than Cain's.
I haven't found that scripture...got one for me?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (Genesis 2:7)

We do not have souls. We are souls. Dualism is Hellenism which, along with so many other pagan beliefs, crept into the early church. It is spiritualism.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is implied in Genesis 3:21.

I suppose that you have the right to interpret it differently.

Before also.
Yes it is...to the normal way of thinking.
But as I studied deeper and sought wisdom, knowledge and understanding I realized He made them skins out of the dust of the earth.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it is...to the normal way of thinking.
But as I studied deeper and sought wisdom, knowledge and understanding I realized He made them skins out of the dust of the earth.
Do you have any biblical proof for that?