Did Paul allow a woman to be a deacon?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 2:

9 When the master of the feast tasted the water now become wine, and did not know where it came from (though the servants [G1249] who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom.
Strong's Greek: 1249. διάκονος (diakonos) — 29 Occurrences

The English word "deacon" came from G1249.

BDAG διάκονος:

gener. one who is busy with someth. in a manner that is of assistance to someone
A G1249-servant worked for a boss for a specific service/task. There was a more common word G1401 δοῦλος (126 occurrences) that meant servant or slave

NIV, 1 Tim 3:

8 In the same way, deacons [G1249]
i.e., male and female deacons/servants who were tasked by a local church for its service

are to be worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. 9 They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons [G1247].
11 In the same way, the women
i.e., female deacons

are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.
12 A deacon [G1249]
i.e., a male deacon

must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well. 13 Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
The term could be applied to male or female. BDAG διάκονος:

① one who serves as an intermediary in a transaction, agent, intermediary, courier (cp. Jos., Ant. 1, 298 of Rachel who brought Jacob to Laban
② one who gets someth. done, at the behest of a superior, assistant to someone (the context determines whether the term, with or without the article ὁ, οἱ is used inclusively of women or exclusively)
When Paul was alive, did he allow a woman to be a dG1249-deacon?

I think so. NIV, Romans 16:

1 I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon [G1249] of the church in Cenchreae.
See also Did Paul allow a woman to be an elder?.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes he did.
Not difficult to understand. The Church was short staffed and she was willing and able. And more importantly she was directly taught by Paul and understood completely the letter she carried to the Romans and could answer any questions that they might have had.

The letter to the Romans has a ton of theology in it and much of today's theology is derived from Romans. If we had Phoebe around today there wouldn't be so many denominations in existence.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 2:

BDAG διάκονος:

A G1249-servant worked for a boss for a specific service/task. There was a more common word G1401 δοῦλος (126 occurrences) that meant servant or slave

NIV, 1 Tim 3:

i.e., male and female deacons/servants who were tasked by a local church for its service

i.e., female deacons

i.e., a male deacon

Sorry Tony but Paul did not allow women to hold the office of deacon. Let us look at teh two passages that speak of deacons being appointed.

Acts 6

King James Version

6 And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
2 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.
3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.
4 But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.
5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch:
6 Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them.

The Apostles appointed men only.

1 Timothy 3:8-13

King James Version

8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

So unless you are sayhing women can be dykes and married to one wife- it is men only.

There is a difference between a diakonos as servant and diakonos as the office.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 2:

BDAG διάκονος:

NIV, 1 Tim 3:

i.e., female deacons

i.e., a male deacon

I could be wrong, but I think the male is addressed 1st in the Bible in the same way the man is used in English, as inclusive of both men and women. When the Bible said that God created "man," the term included both male and female.

Since God created the male 1st, not as a matter of importance, but rather, of order, it becomes the natural focus of anything related to all humans, male or female. In other words, human is referred to in the masculine gender even though it really relates to all humans, male and female.

So yes, I would agree with you. Sometimes Paul treats male and female differently. But in many cases, what Paul would apply to men would also apply to women. And some of the checks placed upon women had to do with ensuring priorities, rather than some kind of assumed competition between the sexes.

Obviously, the woman's exclusive ability to have children is going to take precedence over a competition as to who is going to earn the bread in the family. The need to preserve the woman on behalf of family preservation is going to give the man the place of higher priority, to protect the woman from putting herself out there, whether in a hazardous job or in the military.
The woman's susceptibility to endanger her role also enhanced male leadership.
John 2:

BDAG διάκονος:

NIV, 1 Tim 3:

i.e., female deacons

i.e., a male deacon

When the Bible spoke of God creating "Man," the term "Man" appeared to be neutral. It refers to humanity, which includes both male and female.

Women were created as "soul mates" for men the same way a king is given a palace--it is because in order to have a successful relationship and partnership there has to be essential equality as well as compatibility. The king and his palace are virtually synonymous. The "Man," in every way, includes male and female.

If a man can serve, so can a woman. If a man can teach, so can a woman. If a man can lead, so can a woman.

However, for a partnership to work well, roles have to be defined. And that is a different subject entirely. Women obviously have certain priorities, as do men. They are obvious, and will naturally lead to distinctions.

The Women's Rights movement, and the transgender movement, are doing a great disservice to maintaining these essential male and female roles. Clearly, there are abuses in any kind of relationship, from business to social to family.

There is going to be some chauvinism, and there's going to be some violent protests against these abuses. But it is important to maintain God's order of creation, whatever that requires. I won't try to answer that here. But yes, women can serve as well as men. The roles women fill in individual churches may be determined by availability and need.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 2:

BDAG διάκονος:

NIV, 1 Tim 3:

i.e., female deacons

i.e., a male deacon

Does Paul get to decide?