Did the messengers lie about Jesus coming in the first century?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: to whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: and, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judæa, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭1:1-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Acts 1:1-11 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto th | King James Version (KJV) | Download The Bible App Now

Do you believe that Jesus would return to these people then in that age?

Back in the Old Testament day a priest had to come in to bring forth blood for their sins.

Jesus was ascended promised to come back, it would be a picture and type of how the Old Testament would work in the temple. The priest had to come back out to show that the offering was accepted.

Therefore either Jesus returned in that day in age or his blood was never accepted and He is still in the holy of holies waiting to come out, for thousands of years.

How does that make sense?

Last edited:

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: to whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: and, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judæa, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.”
Acts 1:1-11 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto th | King James Version (KJV) | Download The Bible App Now

Back in the Old Testament day a priest had to come in to bring forth blood for their sins.

Jesus was ascended promised to come back, it would be a picture and type of how the Old Testament would work in the temple. The priest had to come back out to show that the offering was accepted.

Therefore either Jesus returned in that day in age or his blood was never accepted and He is still in the holy of holies waiting to come out, for thousands of years.

Everything that we have that Jesus accomplished was accepted on our behalf…. by God.

The sacrifice, the sin atonement, ….etc.

~ Here is something to throw into your question ~

Where is the holy of holies?

Here it is …And it is very interesting.

The body of Christ (that’s us) has become the holy naos and it will be that way until this dispensation (administration) of Grace ceases at the rapture. It then reverts back to a physical structure in Revelation.

The Temple gives reference to the body of Christ (as a group) be it a smaller gathering or the entire body of believers ….. The following verses all employ the Greek word Naos and encompasses only the period of the grace administration.

1Co 3:16 & 3:17, 1Co 6:19, 2Co 6:16, Eph 2:21.

As individual believer in the following verses….. we are referred to as the tabernacle…..which also changes after this administration of grace ceases at the rapture.

2Co 5:1, 2Co 5:4, skēnos Heb 8:2, Heb 9:11, skēnē 2Pe 1:13, 2Pe 1:14 skēnōma

Regarding Act 1:6 & 7 Israel is held in abeyance until this administration (dispensation) of grace ceases…..it picks up again in Revelation chapter 18 …. I think.

It was held in abeyance because this entire administration of grace was not known of or about ….it was a mystery (secret) kept hidden in/with God

Rom 8:10, Gal 2:20, Col 1:27

Reactions: Mr E

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s good that the administration of everything being now spiritual and praise God for his grace and the Lord who done everything you and me couldn’t do, Tommy.

Reactions: Tommy Cool

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is nonsense, it makes no sense at all! It's no possible that Christ returned in the 1st century.

Christ is shown as the Creator, the Saviour, the High Priest, and our Mediator.

All these titles are connected to who Christ is in relationship to man.

He has not been revealed as the King ruling over His Kingdom, as some suggest.

Hebrews make it clear that He as our High Priest has offered Himself a sacrifice through His own blood, in which the Priests of the Old Covenant of Moses was a type. Through His work as the Saviour He has become our High Priest.

Paul also tells us that through His finished work as Saviour and High Priest, He has also become our Mediator, seated at the right hand of the Father, until the Father makes His enemies His footstool. A Mediator is not a King ruling over His Kingdom!

A mediator is the middle man who represents one who presents a mutual agreement. In this case of Christ, He is the Mediator between God and man. Through Him man was created, through Him man was redeemed, through Him the price for man's sin was paid and offered on the alter of the Heavenly Tabernacle, and without Him as our Mediator (a type of defense lawyer on man's behalf) there is no salvation for man.

Man is guilty as charged for his sin, but Christ says, "wait an minute, I exchanged My righteousness for Charlie's sin through faith."

Man has no hope to represent himself before God, but Christ, the Creator/the Saviour/the High Priest/the Mediator, He has declared us innocent before God the Father.

For some 2000 years Christ has been sitting at the right hand of the Father, mediating for all who have come to faith in Him.

For these 2000 years Israel has been set on the back burner, so to speak, they were given the greatest opportunity that any nation could possibly receive, the privilege to introduce Christ to the world. They were prepared fo it in advance, the only nation to receive God's Law, the only nation chosen to be the womb of the Messiah. But they rejected Him and Christ built His Church to get the job done in introducing Christ to the world, the Gentiles have been given this honor! This time period is know as the "times of the Gentiles," it's the time of salvation for the Gentile, with the Jews being temporarily set aside.

This time of the Gentiles will soon come to an end, and when it does, God turns His focus back to His chosen people, Israel. Their salvation will not come so easy, as Paul said that all of Israel will be saved.

The main purpose the the Great Tribulation is to bring stiff-necked Israel back to God. Israel will suffer but they will be saved and the promises to Abraham are kept. This happens at the Second Coming when as Zechariah said, "they will see the One whom they have pierced." He goes on the say that there will be great mourning in the land of Israel when they realize it is Jesus Christ who comes to their rescue.

This is when Christ will rule over His Kingdom with a rod of iron. The Gentile nations will be subject to Israel for 1000 years, as God originally planned had they accepted Christ. Israel will fulfill their destiny during these 1000 years.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is nonsense, it makes no sense at all! It's no possible that Christ returned in the 1st century.

Hebrews make it clear that He as our High Priest has offered Himself a sacrifice through His own blood, in which the Priests of the Old Covenant of Moses was a type. Through His work as the Saviour He has become our High Priest.

Paul also tells us that through His finished work as Saviour and High Priest, He has also become our Mediator, seated at the right hand of the Father, until the Father makes His enemies His footstool. A Mediator is not a King ruling over His Kingdom!

A mediator is the middle man who represents one who presents a mutual agreement. In this case of Christ, He is the Mediator between God and man. Through Him man was created, through Him man was redeemed, through Him the price for man's sin was paid and offered on the alter of the Heavenly Tabernacle, and without Him as our Mediator (a type of defense lawyer on man's behalf) there is no salvation for man.

Man is guilty as charged for his sin, but Christ says, "wait an minute, I exchanged My righteousness for Charlie's sin through faith."

Man has no hope to represent himself before God, but Christ, the Creator/the Saviour/the High Priest/the Mediator, He has declared us innocent before God the Father.

For some 2000 years Christ has been sitting at the right hand of the Father, mediating for all who have come to faith in Him.

For these 2000 years Israel has been set on the back burner, so to speak, they were given the greatest opportunity that any nation could possibly receive, the privilege to introduce Christ to the world. They were prepared fo it in advance, the only nation to receive God's Law, the only nation chosen to be the womb of the Messiah. But they rejected Him and Christ built His Church to get the job done in introducing Christ to the world, the Gentiles have been given this honor! This time period is know as the "times of the Gentiles," it's the time of salvation for the Gentile, with the Jews being temporarily set aside.

This time of the Gentiles will soon come to an end, and when it does, God turns His focus back to His chosen people, Israel. Their salvation will not come so easy, as Paul said that all of Israel will be saved.

The main purpose the the Great Tribulation is to bring stiff-necked Israel back to God. Israel will suffer but they will be saved and the promises to Abraham are kept. This happens at the Second Coming when as Zechariah said, "they will see the One whom they have pierced." He goes on the say that there will be great mourning in the land of Israel when they realize it is Jesus Christ who comes to their rescue.

This is when Christ will rule over His Kingdom with a rod of iron. The Gentile nations will be subject to Israel for 1000 years, as God originally planned had they accepted Christ. Israel will fulfill their destiny during these 1000 years.

Too much to read.

However what you’re suggesting is that the angels that spoke about Jesus coming the same way he left to those people watching him go away was a promise to them he would come back.

Therefore were those angels lying to those men? If they were lying how can anyone at all trust the Bible let alone Jesus when he makes promises that he would come back?

That is what doesn’t make sense to me.

Last edited:

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too much to read.

However what you’re suggesting is that the angels that spoke about Jesus coming the same way he left to those people watching him go away was a promise to them he would come back.

Therefore were those angels lying to those men? If they were lying how can anyone at all trust the Bible let alone Jesus when he makes promises that he would come back?

That is what doesn’t make sense to me.

I'm not a fan of long posts either, but sometimes there is no way around it.

I wonder MatthewG, is the post too long, or is your attention too short? Was your mind already made up before you posted the OP?

Concerning the return of Christ, have you not read the prophecy of Zechariah?

Zech. 14:4-5

"And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives,
Which faces Jerusalem on the east.
And the Mount of Olives shall be split in two,
From east to west,
Making a very large valley;
Half of the mountain shall move toward the north
And half of it toward the south.

Then you shall flee through My mountain valley,
For the mountain valley shall reach to Azal.
Yes, you shall flee
As you fled from the earthquake
In the days of Uzziah king of Judah.

Thus the Lord my God will come,
And all the saints with You."

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a fan of long posts either, but sometimes there is no way around it.

I wonder MatthewG, is the post too long, or is your attention too short? Was your mind already made up before you posted the OP?

Concerning the return of Christ, have you not read the prophecy of Zechariah?

Zech. 14:4-5

"And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives,
Which faces Jerusalem on the east.
And the Mount of Olives shall be split in two,
From east to west,
Making a very large valley;
Half of the mountain shall move toward the north
And half of it toward the south.

Then you shall flee through My mountain valley,
For the mountain valley shall reach to Azal.
Yes, you shall flee
As you fled from the earthquake
In the days of Uzziah king of Judah.

Thus the Lord my God will come,
And all the saints with You."

I believe that has happened. I believe Jesus Christ returned and the people in that day in age were looking and seeking to find him.

Yes my mind has already been made up, and I appreciate you being straight up and blunt about not liking long post either.

I believe that nation of Israel has been taken care of and God divorced them in 70Ad, when the return and destruction happened just as promised by Jesus Christ himself.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that has happened. I believe Jesus Christ returned and the people in that day in age were looking and seeking to find him.

Yes my mind has already been made up, and I appreciate you being straight up and blunt about not liking long post either.

I believe that nation of Israel has been taken care of and God divorced them in 70Ad, when the return and destruction happened just as promised by Jesus Christ himself.

Every man is given the authority by God to believe what he will.

I have simply presented the other side of your belief.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If we think in this fashion, wouldn't Jesus have 'come back out' when Stephen saw Jesus standing at the right hand of the Father? This seems to me that you are posting a false alternative, because other alternatives could also be true.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except, He didn't say that, did He? That Peter and James and John and all of them would be there to see His return?

We know the rumor got started that John would be, but John himself dispelled that one, clarifying what Jesus had actually said.

He would come to each of us when we trust in Him. And He will return to the Mount of Olives, just as He said. It will split in two, forming a valley, just as the prophet said. They will run through that valley to safety, again as the prophet said.

Much love!

Reactions: Charlie24

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did too promise.

Matthew 24:
The Coming of the Son of Man

29 “Immediately after the distress of those days

“‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’

30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Jesus was talking to his very own disciples here. Would Jesus lie to them is my question, was he just deceptive when he was speaking of his return?

Here again recorded in Luke 21

20 “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. 22 For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written. 23 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. 24 They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

25 “There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.26 People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

When Jesus was on trial, he spoke about it once again, in verse 62, to the High priest at that day in time.

Mark 14:
60 Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?” 61 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.

Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”

62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

63 The high priest tore his clothes. “Why do we need any more witnesses?” he asked. 64 “You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?”

They all condemned him as worthy of death. 65 Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him, struck him with their fists, and said, “Prophesy!” And the guards took him and beat him.

Why would Jesus Christ have any reason to lie?

Was he just telling these guys these things to josh around with them, and lol just kidding guys?

I do not think so.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to Stephen I believe he was one of the first ones to be resurrected, the first-fruits.

1 Corinthians 15:20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have presented two things, and there are indeed two things that Jesus presently is...but each is only a difference of perspective.

All power and authority over heaven and earth was given to Jesus 2,000 years ago, but His kingdom is not of this world. Thus, from a worldly perspective, one might say that He is not ruling over His kingdom. But that would not be correct, because His kingdom is not of this world.

The other perspective, that being of the world...is that, yes, He is Mediator between men and God the Father...until the times of the gentiles are fulfilled. However, that does not mean He is not also ruling over His kingdom.

As for the backburner..."It is finished." Israel is "the dead in Christ" who died in their sins before salvation had come, of whom Christ is "the Last."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did too promise.

Jesus was talking to his very own disciples here. Would Jesus lie to them is my question, was he just deceptive when he was speaking of his return?

When Jesus was on trial, he spoke about it once again, in verse 62, to the High priest at that day in time.

Mark 14:

Was he just telling these guys these things to josh around with them, and lol just kidding guys?

I do not think so.
Actually, Matthew recorded a discourse which Mark also recoreded. Luke recorded a different discourse. I can show you the detail on that. It was a different location and a different audience. In Luke's discourse, Jesus prophesied the destruction of Israel ending with them scattered. Matthew records a more future event ending with Israel gathered.

Much love!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did too promise.

Mark 14:

I do not think so.

When Christ said the the High Priest, "you shall see" wasn't referring to him seeing Christ's return in their lifetime.

He was meaning, you will ultimately see that what I'm saying to you is the truth.

The Scripture says that every eye will see Him at His return.

Even those in hell, who this High Priest will be one of them.
You have presented two things, and there are indeed two things that Jesus presently is...but each is only a difference of perspective.

All power and authority over heaven and earth was given to Jesus 2,000 years ago, but His kingdom is not of this world. Thus, from a worldly perspective, one might say that He is not ruling over His kingdom. But that would not be correct, because His kingdom is not of this world.

The other perspective, that being of the world...is that, yes, He is Mediator between men and God the Father...until the times of the gentiles are fulfilled. However, that does not mean He is not also ruling over His kingdom.

As for the backburner..."It is finished." Israel is "the dead in Christ" who died in their sins before salvation had come, of whom Christ is "the Last."

First perspective! You make the mistake of many down through the centuries.

John 18:36
"Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence."

Do you see the bold? At the time Christ spoke was not the time His Kingdom should be established on earth. But His Kingdom will be established on this earth at the appointed time, the reason for but now is my kingdom not from hence."

Second perspective! Obviously you have not read what the apostle Paul said about Israel.

Rom. 1:11-4
"I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel saying,

Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.

But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal."

And again in Rom. 11:26-29,
"And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes.

For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance."

The calling of Israel is still to be fulfilled! Whoever you are getting your information from does not know what He is talking about!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Charlie24,

Listen to me when I say this I believe everyone is going to see the Lord Jesus Christ when they die, as the Lord God Almighty.

(To see Jesus is to see God) Lord God Almighty.

And God has place for people of faith and those of none faith.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 1:7 when it says earth Charlie, all it means is the land my friend, people quote that scripture so often but the letter was written to the 7 Churches of Asia Minor.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First perspective! You make the mistake of many down through the centuries.

John 18:36
"Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence."

Do you see the bold? At the time Christ spoke was not the time His Kingdom should be established on earth. But His Kingdom will be established on this earth at the appointed time, the reason for but now is my kingdom not from hence."
You are confusing the world with the earth. Jesus always did have the authority, He could have turned stones to bread or called down legions of angels. But the issue is not of this world. Yet He remains Mediator even in the world, until the times of the gentiles are fulfilled.

Second perspective! Obviously you have not read what the apostle Paul said about Israel.

Rom. 1:11-4
"I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel saying,

Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.

But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal."

And again in Rom. 11:26-29,
"And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes.

For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance."

The calling of Israel is still to be fulfilled! Whoever you are getting your information from does not know what He is talking about!
In His own words, Jesus said He had come "but only for the house of Israel", and then when all things had been fulfilled, He said "It is finished."

After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” 29 Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. 30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit. John 19:28-30​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, Matthew recorded a discourse which Mark also recoreded. Luke recorded a different discourse. I can show you the detail on that. It was a different location and a different audience. In Luke's discourse, Jesus prophesied the destruction of Israel ending with them scattered. Matthew records a more future event ending with Israel gathered.

Much love!

Sure I do not mind one being recorded off another. Thing is that still doesn't discredit what Jesus stated.