Did you know? (fun & interesting facts)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I learned this on Nature Cat with my daughter, but it was a symbol in a movie I saw on Saturday. Why I was reading about it. The use of "luciferin" really disturbs me. The movie was the backstory of Black Widow... And her story was actually a mk ultra past. They took down the organization in the end. And I think they used fireflies as a symbol of the strength/hope/endurance they gained despite all of that. But it was disturbing knowing about mk ultra now. One was controlled by chip/chemical. The other by conditioning. I won't go into it more as a fellowship thread. A bit heavy here. Just didn't seem right as a fictional story to put elsewhere.

But I always loved fireflies. They are beautiful and light up the darkest places.

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ That is very funny, of a 6 year old getting hired as their Director of Fun. Makes you wonder how that went for them haha. And if allowed nap times for fun. Also interesting video about the Manatees, and alligators.

@Nancy; That is interesting about all the founding Fathers, John Adams, Jefferson all died on the 4th. You can make that all three JJJS. The 4 states was something they taught us in history class going over the country and all of the states we have in America.

@Mayflower; What movie did you and your daughter watch? I do not know anything about MK ultra other than it is some type of conspriacy theory? You are right about the fireflies, you can see them at night here it is cool how you contrasted them with that of hope in the darkness and a symbol of strength.

Reactions: Nancy

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The History of the Pencil
Pencil History: The Earliest Forms of Self Expression
Did you know that modern pencils owe it all to an ancient Roman writing instrument called a stylus? Scribes used this thin metal rod to leave a light, but readable mark on papyrus (an early form of paper). Other early styluses were made of lead, which is what we still call pencil cores, even though they actually are made of non-toxic graphite. But pencil history doesn’t stop there…

Graphite came into widespread use following the discovery of a large graphite deposit in Borrowdale, England in 1564. Appreciated for leaving a darker mark than lead, the mineral proved so soft and brittle that it required a holder. Originally, graphite sticks were wrapped in string. Later, the graphite was inserted into hollowed-out wooden sticks and, thus, the wood-cased pencil was born!

Nuremberg, Germany was the birthplace of the first mass-produced pencils in 1662. Spurred by Faber-Castell (established in 1761), Lyra, Steadtler and other companies, an active pencil industry developed throughout the 19th century industrial revolution.

The History of the Pencil

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a fact (it is not a fun one but it is very real); Not everyone is a child of God.

Have you ever heard someone say oh we are all children of God? That is actually not true. We are all creations of God; but to become a child of God one must accept the spirit of Adoption, that comes from believing in the good news Gospel.

Reactions: Mayflower

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dogs prefer to sniff good smells with their left nostril. (So if a dog sniffs you with their right nostril, you likely need a shower. lol)

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A reservoir in space holds 140 trillion times the amount of water in Earth's oceans.

Armadillos swallow air to become buoyant when they swim.

The majority of polar bears live in Canada—not in the Arctic.

The word "muscle" comes from a Latin term meaning "little mouse."

Reactions: Mayflower and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The smallest bat is the size of a bee, and weighs about 2 grams (less than a penny). 1/4 of all mammals are bats, the only mammal that can fly, some of them over 60 mph. The largest bat, the Flying Fox, has a 6 ft wingspan. And the Vampire Bat really does vant to drink blood.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always wondered how high birds could fly. well, the winner is the Rüppell's Griffon Vulture which can go to 37,000 Feet, as high as a commercial airliner. But there are many (e.g. eagles and birds of prey) that can fly in the 10,000 to 20,000 feet region as well; it's not just this one vulture that goes higher than the rest. The well-known and common Mallard Duck can reach an altitude of 21,000 feet. This is not to say that these birds always fly that high (a Mallard while migrating typically flies 200-4000 feet). But they are capable of reaching high altitudes. I always said they have one heck of a respiratory system reaching heights where there's just a fraction of the atmospheric pressure.