Difference between joy and happiness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joy is an inner peace which comes from abiding in God’s love. To abide in God’s love we must keep His commandments by loving one another as he has loved us (John 15:9-13). In order to do this we must love and trust him with all our heart. Then our joy will be complete; so that even in the midst of pain and suffering we will have his peace and joy.

Happiness, on the other hand is a sense of contentment we feel when pleasing things happen to us. It can therefore disappear very quickly and make life miserable if what pleases us is gone or if unpleasing things happen to us. In addition, our pursuit of happiness can make us selfish; and selfishness will make our heart restless.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Joy is an inner peace which comes from abiding in God’s love. To abide in God’s love we must keep His commandments...

This has been my experience too. Our emotions are a fickle thing; part of our soul that seeks for acceptance and gratification. It experiences highs and lows, and it is sometimes manic.

Joy is the fruit that is developed in relationship with God. It is like an anti-psychotic and anti-depressant drug that puts us on an even keel regardless of what happens to us: a spiritual Prozac. Relationship with God puts us straight. It heals us. This comes as a result of testing our spiritual armour in the battle field. As we practice obedience fruit develops.

We cannot manufacture these fruits; they are a result of us tuning into God and obeying Him. Manners and etiquette are not the same… these are somewhat manufactured by unbelievers. The fruit we speak of comes from performing righteousness, not pretending to be righteous. As we walk what we talk, the fruit will come; which is “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.”

God Bless
Steve

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also true joy ( a fruit of the Spirit) remains despite the circumstances, whereas happiness is dependent on circumstances.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"It is not fitting, when one is in Gods service, to have a gloomy face or a chilling look." -Saint Francis of Assisi

In which church people need to be reminded of the evils of melancholy.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Amen!
Happiness is peace of mind and contentment within ones soul. We choose to be happy depending on our situation. Joy is an impartation of power that comes from our relationship with God. When I lead people to the Lord...the Joy of the Lord can sometimes be overwhelming.... :)

Be Blessed!!!

Reactions: Angelina

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, happiness is connected to successes in the practice of sanctification; loving others

Like others here, joy seems to be unconnected to anything I do and random - a gift of the spirit.

I just read Prism's post - I totally agree.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Joy is an inner peace which comes from abiding in God’s love. To abide in God’s love we must keep His commandments by loving one another as he has loved us (John 15:9-13). In order to do this we must love and trust him with all our heart. Then our joy will be complete; so that even in the midst of pain and suffering we will have his peace and joy.

Happiness, on the other hand is a sense of contentment we feel when pleasing things happen to us. It can therefore disappear very quickly and make life miserable if what pleases us is gone or if unpleasing things happen to us. In addition, our pursuit of happiness can make us selfish; and selfishness will make our heart restless.
Joy is what you have left when happiness decides to take a hike