Discerning False Ones With the Samaritan Woman

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus went to the city of Samaria where Joseph's old well was to drink. There He met a Samaritan woman at the well, and told her, "give me drink". The Samaritans were foreigners, and the Jews would not have anything to do with them. That is why the Samaritan woman thought it strange that Jesus spoke to her. Jesus then mentions to her that He has the "living water" which she should desire if she had known Who He is. The conversation gets more interesting after that...

John 4:10-22
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, "If thou knewest the gift of God, and Who it is That saith to thee, 'Give me to drink'; thou wouldest have asked of Him, and He would have given thee living water.

11 The woman saith unto him, "Sir, Thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast Thou that living water?
12 Art Thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?

Of course the woman does not understand how Jesus is pointing to the miraculous 'living waters of life' of God's River that is part of Christ's future Salvation per Revelation 22 and Ezekiel 47.

13 Jesus answered and said unto her, "Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

15 The woman saith unto him, "Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw."

16 Jesus saith unto her, "Go, call thy husband, and come hither."

THIS is where it's important to really pay attention. Lord Jesus asks the Samaritan woman to go get her husband.

17 The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus said unto her, "Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly."

The Samaritan woman declared she had no husband. Jesus claims she said true, because she has had 5 husbands, and even the one she was living with then was not her husband. If you are paying attention so far, you'll find out later here there is some deeper 'strong meat' teaching with that idea of 5 husbands.

19 The woman saith unto Him, "Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and Ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship."

Wait just one minute! WHY... did the subject of her past husbands suddenly CHANGE to the topic of WORSHIP?

21 Jesus saith unto her, "Woman, believe Me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews."
KJV

This is where it's important to have studied your Old Testament history.

That area of Samaria originally was where the ten tribes of Israel once dwelt before they fell into false worship, and God removed them all by the kings of Assyria (see 2 Kings 17). What the Assyrian kings did then was replace the ten tribes in those lands above Jerusalem/Judea with foreigners from Babylon. Peoples from Babylon from FIVE PROVINCES IN BABYLON, each with their own FALSE GOD, were placed in that are of Samaria, and that most likely is where that Samaritan woman's ancestry was from.

The 5 HUSBANDS the Samaritan woman had represented those FIVE PAGAN BABYLON PEOPLES placed in those old lands that had belonged to the ten tribes of Israel.

And Lord Jesus even said the SIXTH ONE SHE WAS THEN LIVING WITH, was not her real husband either. So WHO represents the SIXTH ONE in relation to false worship? Yes, the strong meat of what Lord Jesus is showing here is about SPIRITUAL MARRIAGE TO THE WRONG HUSBAND.

2 Cor 11:2-3
2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one Husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
KJV

Lord Jesus Christ is our TRUE HUSBAND, and we are to wait for Him to come. So Lord Jesus is giving a strong meat lesson in this idea also with that Samaritan woman. Without having read the Old Testament history about the kings of Assyria placing those FIVE BABYLON peoples in the lands of Samaria, the strong meat of this would have been missed.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus went to the city of Samaria where Joseph's old well was to drink. There He met a Samaritan woman at the well, and told her, "give me drink". The Samaritans were foreigners, and the Jews would not have anything to do with them. That is why the Samaritan woman thought it strange that Jesus spoke to her. Jesus then mentions to her that He has the "living water" which she should desire if she had known Who He is. The conversation gets more interesting after that...

John 4:10-22
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, "If thou knewest the gift of God, and Who it is That saith to thee, 'Give me to drink'; thou wouldest have asked of Him, and He would have given thee living water.

11 The woman saith unto him, "Sir, Thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast Thou that living water?
12 Art Thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?

Of course the woman does not understand how Jesus is pointing to the miraculous 'living waters of life' of God's River that is part of Christ's future Salvation per Revelation 22 and Ezekiel 47.

13 Jesus answered and said unto her, "Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

15 The woman saith unto him, "Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw."

THIS is where it's important to really pay attention. Lord Jesus asks the Samaritan woman to go get her husband.

17 The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus said unto her, "Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly."

The Samaritan woman declared she had no husband. Jesus claims she said true, because she has had 5 husbands, and even the one she was living with then was not her husband. If you are paying attention so far, you'll find out later here there is some deeper 'strong meat' teaching with that idea of 5 husbands.

19 The woman saith unto Him, "Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and Ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship."

Wait just one minute! WHY... did the subject of her past husbands suddenly CHANGE to the topic of WORSHIP?

21 Jesus saith unto her, "Woman, believe Me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews."
KJV

This is where it's important to have studied your Old Testament history.

That area of Samaria originally was where the ten tribes of Israel once dwelt before they fell into false worship, and God removed them all by the kings of Assyria (see 2 Kings 17). What the Assyrian kings did then was replace the ten tribes in those lands above Jerusalem/Judea with foreigners from Babylon. Peoples from Babylon from FIVE PROVINCES IN BABYLON, each with their own FALSE GOD, were placed in that are of Samaria, and that most likely is where that Samaritan woman's ancestry was from.

The 5 HUSBANDS the Samaritan woman had represented those FIVE PAGAN BABYLON PEOPLES placed in those old lands that had belonged to the ten tribes of Israel.

And Lord Jesus even said the SIXTH ONE SHE WAS THEN LIVING WITH, was not her real husband either. So WHO represents the SIXTH ONE in relation to false worship? Yes, the strong meat of what Lord Jesus is showing here is about SPIRITUAL MARRIAGE TO THE WRONG HUSBAND.

2 Cor 11:2-3
2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one Husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
KJV

Lord Jesus Christ is our TRUE HUSBAND, and we are to wait for Him to come. So Lord Jesus is giving a strong meat lesson in this idea also with that Samaritan woman. Without having read the Old Testament history about the kings of Assyria placing those FIVE BABYLON peoples in the lands of Samaria, the strong meat of this would have been missed.
The whole account is basically about worship Davy, and how soon it would be open to others. The new covenants Jews are from all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues sir Gal 6:16; Rom 2:28,29; Rev 5:9,10

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole account is basically about worship Davy, and how soon it would be open to others. The new covenants Jews are from all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues sir Gal 6:16; Rom 2:28,29; Rev 5:9,10
It is indeed about... worship, the True vs. the false worship.

But it is NOT about Jews from all nations like you are trying to insert into it.

Jesus was speaking to a Samaritan woman. The Jews of the "house of Judah" at Jerusalem/Judea were the ONLY ones of the old nation of Israel that were left in the holy lands in that time. God had removed all of the northern ten tribes where those Samaritans were placed in their stead. One would of course only know this if they had read their Old Testament histories.

Yet because Jesus spoke to that Samaritan woman, even with His disciples wondering why He spoke to her, that did... show how The Gospel would eventually also go to the Gentiles.

But the greater Message for OUR TIMES TODAY AT THE END, which is the strong meat, is warning about her 6th husband she was living with! When the kings of Assyria took FIVE PAGAN peoples from 5 provinces in Babylon and placed them in the holy lands where the ten tribes were removed from, each province of those pagans had their own false god they worshiped. Her 5 husbands she had had are represented by those 5 false gods those foreigners brought with them to those holy lands.

But the 6th one she was living with then that Jesus mentioned, who does that represent linked with the subject of false worship?

The 6th, per Revelation 17:10 was the Roman emperor Domitian in Apostle John's day. The 7th one that is still yet to come in our day, will be the Antichrist-pseudo-Christ that Lord Jesus and His Apostles warned us about for the very end of this world. Thus Jesus' deeper strong meat Message with that Samaritan woman is also a pointer of warning for those living in the END about the coming false one who will claim to be God.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the greater Message for OUR TIMES TODAY AT THE END, which is the strong meat, is warning about her 6th husband she was living with! When the kings of Assyria took FIVE PAGAN peoples from 5 provinces in Babylon and placed them in the holy lands where the ten tribes were removed from, each province of those pagans had their own false god they worshiped.
This is taking a literal story and making it metaphorical - to fit your understanding of prophecy.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is taking a literal story and making it metaphorical - to fit your understanding of prophecy.
No, it is not. If you had studied your Old Testament like you were supposed to, your mind should immediately recall the five pagan gods and peoples that the king of Assyria transplanted in that area of Samaria where the ten tribes had been before God removed them.

And here, I'll show something else that is SUPPOSED to make your memory recall the OT about those 5 pagan peoples from Babylon put in the land...

John 4:15-20
15 The woman saith unto Him, "Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw."

SUBJECT: the water Jesus offers. She was thinking earthly water.

SUBJECT: marriage (God's Word gives metaphors about 'spiritual' marriage and harlotry also.)

SUBJECT: Marriage (both earthly, and as a spiritual metaphor)

PAY ATTENTION ESPECIALLY TO WHAT IS SAID NEXT...

19 The woman saith unto him, "Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet."

SUBJECT: she perceives that Jesus is a prophet, having remarked the truth about her marriages.

Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and Ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
KJV

SUBJECT: TRUE WORSHIP!

The subject of those last two verses changed abruptly. The subject was about husbands, and then immediately the subject changed to false worship vs. true worship.

Sorry that you missed that change Wrangler, and if you had known the history about the Samaritans you might have caught it. But no need to try and mock me just because you have a lack of Bible study. I wonder what you're approach would be with Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 11 when he used the idea of harlotry for those who fall away to the "another Jesus". Will you say that's nothing but speculation to serve Paul's theories?? And Paul got that harlotry metaphor from GOD Himself in Old Testament Scripture like Isaiah 54. So I have to say, you simply show your BIBILCAL IGNORANCE and lack of Bible study.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Davy made good point, and well documented. Look at this from different angle. James 6:19. Brethren, if any do err from the truth, and one convert him; 6:20. Let him know, that he which convert the sinner from error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide multitude of sins. The whole purpose of making trip in the flesh body. Is too study the bible, and be used by God to plant seeds to people. Many people are lost, and headed for hell. Jesus planted seeds for the samaritan woman. She converted, and Jesus used to plant more seeds through the community. You can see the wisdom in Jesus. Evangelists have the former rain, milk of Gods word. They plant seed, and convert people. Then send them to a teacher. The teacher has both the former and latter rain. Its milk and meat of God's word. Jesus utilized both positions at Jacob's well. Teacher of God must have the ability to teach on different levels. Essentially speaking, Jesus is the school master. PAIDEUTES in Greek means = teacher. And NECAH in Hebrew means = bright, candle, lamp. Servants of God are the light, we don't hide lamp in the Bush, we share God's truth with sinners. We plant seeds and only Jesus can germinate those seeds. Let the light penetrate darkness. If they reject those seeds, move on, don't waste valuable time. Jesus set the example.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So I have to say, you simply show your BIBILCAL IGNORANCE and lack of Bible study.
Why do you have to insult everyone you disagree with?

Matthew 5:22
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Samaritans are Israelites, but there was a schism between them and the Jews. The point of schism is that they regard Mount Gerizim as sacred, as the land where Noah disembarked and where Abraham was told to sacrifice Isaac. They also worship YHWH but regarded the Jews as apostates and vice-versa. The Samaritans were hated by the Jews for throwing human bones (which are unclean) into the temple at Jerusalem, to defile it, which was seen as unforgiveable by the Jews.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it is not. If you had studied your Old Testament like you were supposed to, your mind should immediately recall the five pagan gods and peoples that the king of Assyria transplanted in that area of Samaria where the ten tribes had been before God removed them.

And here, I'll show something else that is SUPPOSED to make your memory recall the OT about those 5 pagan peoples from Babylon put in the land...

John 4:15-20
15 The woman saith unto Him, "Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw."

SUBJECT: the water Jesus offers. She was thinking earthly water.

SUBJECT: marriage (God's Word gives metaphors about 'spiritual' marriage and harlotry also.)

SUBJECT: Marriage (both earthly, and as a spiritual metaphor)

PAY ATTENTION ESPECIALLY TO WHAT IS SAID NEXT...

19 The woman saith unto him, "Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet."

SUBJECT: she perceives that Jesus is a prophet, having remarked the truth about her marriages.

20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and Ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
KJV

SUBJECT: TRUE WORSHIP!

The subject of those last two verses changed abruptly. The subject was about husbands, and then immediately the subject changed to false worship vs. true worship.

Sorry that you missed that change Wrangler, and if you had known the history about the Samaritans you might have caught it. But no need to try and mock me just because you have a lack of Bible study. I wonder what you're approach would be with Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 11 when he used the idea of harlotry for those who fall away to the "another Jesus". Will you say that's nothing but speculation to serve Paul's theories?? And Paul got that harlotry metaphor from GOD Himself in Old Testament Scripture like Isaiah 54. So I have to say, you simply show your BIBILCAL IGNORANCE and lack of Bible study.
No need to try and mock others just because you have a lack of Bible knowledge.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need to try and mock others just because you have a lack of Bible knowledge.
And thus yet another one... in the same sad state as Wrangler, and even with trying... to mock with that "lack of Bible knowledge" phrase, showing worse ignorance than even Wrangler's!