Discussion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

butxifxnot

Sep 22, 2007
What's the point?Discussion means nothing without two important elements:1) proper discusser(s)2) proper listener(s)Note that #1 does NOT say "Proper preacher(s)". Truth is not usually revelatory upon the first hearing: it must be hashed out in one's mind. For that, someone with something to say much be a proper discusser, willing to accept any truth, so long as it's true. If the discusser believes something (and discusses it) without a willingness to accept any truth, he is not a discusser, but a preacher: he will not bend, nor consider other points of view. Not only does this quality turn off potential listeners (who are not proper (addressed in a sec), but might be with the right discusser), but it means the preacher probably has not thought the issue out honestly in his own mind and does not have the ammunition to present the truth in question.EVERYone must be a proper listener: not everyone must be able to be a proper discusser, but that does not matter if the listeners listen properly. A proper listener considers the truth being discussed (OR preached) as being a viable option for truth. A Biblical example of a proper listener and a proper discusser would be the Bereans and Paul. The Bereans accepted that Paul's message MAY be truth and sought it out HONESTLY. They had their own beliefs, so they had the opposing side, and yet they were able to consider and even accept the message Paul discussed, showing their willingness to accept truth, even when it went against something they already held dear. I say Paul is a proper discusser because he is probably the most objective person in the Bible: he was absolutely on BOTH sides of truth at some points in his life: both were really viable options to him, so when he accepted Christianity, he was able to discuss it effectively with Jews of strict to not-so-strict persuasions, and he had a Gentile travelling companion, giving him non-Jewish perspective. The Bible says Paul refuted traditional arguments, not just preaching the message of Christ: he PROVED Christ. Some listened (proper listeners and improper alike: a proper discusser can address both, if the specific person is right) and believed: some listened and chose not to believe (proper listeners willing to consider, but not willing to change): some did not listen at all (improper) and only had their own message to say in response to Paul, not an actual response to his discussion.I urge everyone who frequents forums: be proper listeners. That is the first step in being proper discussers, which we must strive to be to win people to Christ when we can. The truth doesn't need the aide of a closed mind.

butxifxnot

Sep 22, 2007
Oh, by the way, this is a "Proper Discussion" being "Preached".
tongue.gif
I don't expect a response (they'd be gladly accepted), but I'm not going to say that this is Scripture truth. A "Proper Listener" will be able to get what I'm saying, because...I didn't preach it very properly: kinda convoluted, I know. I hope some other listeners get it too. *laughs*

E Nomine

Aug 18, 2007
I took psychology. I know what your talking about. That and I dabbled in a debate when I was younger.
wink.gif

butxifxnot

Sep 22, 2007
Oh my gosh, that actually makes sense to someone else? o.o(Not being sardonic) Rereading that, I'M having to think twice about what I'm reading. ;D

E Nomine

Aug 18, 2007
The jest is that we all need to keep cool in our debates and make sure that tempers don't flare on either sides.

elmo

Sep 19, 2007
I fully agree with you butxifxnot because of this single verse from the book of revelation repeated many times...He that hath an ear to hear, let him hear what the spirit saith to the churches.

butxifxnot

Sep 22, 2007
(Lookin'4wardtoHeaven;18458)
Are you talking about being respectable and considerate of others?
smile.gif

Not exactly: tact is not necessarily the mark of a proper discusser, but it adds to his properness. I am talking about being open-minded. If you are open-minded, you will be respectable and considerate of others as a result of it, because you consider what they are saying as viable options for truth (or else you have at some point and came to a different conclusion: but if they bring up something you haven't considered, you consider it anew).(elmo;18463)
I fully agree with you butxifxnot because of this single verse from the book of revelation repeated many times...He that hath an ear to hear, let him hear what the spirit saith to the churches.
smile.gif
Exactly. See, I stink at this.
tongue.gif