Disingenuous?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been accused of being disingenuous, as though it is something bad. Is it?

Here's from Vocabulary.com:

disingenuous. Use the adjective disingenuous to describe behavior that's not totally honest or sincere. It's disingenuous when people pretend to know less about something than they really do.

Seems wrong to me. What do you think? Is it wrong to be disingenuous?

Here's the reason I ask . . .

If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

Romans 10:9-10 NIV

Is that the whole story? Or is there more that God's not saying?

What about . . .

Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Is this for all? Or is there more to it that God isn't saying?

What about . . .

1 Corinthians 5:20 "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God."

Is the reader being urged to be reconciled to God, whomever he or she may be? Or is there more to this, that God's not telling?

Is God inviting all to come, all the while knowing that not all can come?

Wouldn't that be disingenuous?

Telling a man in a prison cell, I urge you to step out of the cell. I invite you to step out of the cell. Just say you want out and you can come out.

All the while holding the key, but unwilling to open the door.

Is that how God is?

Not by what I read in Scripture.

Much love!
Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Butterfly

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here's from Vocabulary.com:

disingenuous. Use the adjective disingenuous to describe behavior that's not totally honest or sincere. It's disingenuous when people pretend to know less about something than they really do.

Seems wrong to me. What do you think? Is it wrong to be disingenuous?

Here's the reason I ask . . .

If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

Romans 10:9-10 NIV

Is that the whole story? Or is there more that God's not saying?

What about . . .

Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Is this for all? Or is there more to it that God isn't saying?

What about . . .

1 Corinthians 5:20 "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God."

Is the reader being urged to be reconciled to God, whomever he or she may be? Or is there more to this, that God's not telling?

Is God inviting all to come, all the while knowing that not all can come?

Wouldn't that be disingenuous?

Telling a man in a prison cell, I urge you to step out of the cell. I invite you to step out of the cell. Just say you want out and you can come out.

All the while holding the key, but unwilling to open the door.

Is that how God is?

Not by what I read in Scripture.

Much love!
Mark

I cannot make a definitive statement since I have not read every post made. But I can say you seem genuine in what I have read.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe he’d only be disingenuous if it were possible for an unregenerate heart to hear his invitation. Based on the def you’ve given

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe he’d only be disingenuous if it were possible for an unregenerate heart to hear his invitation. Based on the def you’ve given

The issue isn't whether an un-regenerated heart to hear the Holy Spirit. The issue is that they listen.

That is not make God disingenuous. He always tries to get sinners to listen.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue isn't whether an un-regenerated heart to hear the Holy Spirit. The issue is that they listen.

That is not make God disingenuous. He always tries to get sinners to listen.
You don’t believe he gives them ears to hear?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Over one million in the wilderness, and only 2 could believe? And these guys saw literal miracles.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Depends on who's accusing you. If a disingenuous person is making that accusation, then just ignore it. When people have nothing of substance, they generally resort to personal attacks.

B

brakelite

If you found all those things in scripture as to how one can come to a saving faith and knowledge of God, then He has been completely forthcoming and not disingenuous. You just had to dig a little deeper, travel a little further, to find it. He didn't tell the disciples everything they needed to know, not because He didn't want them informed, but because they were too steeped in "the leaven of the Pharisees" to accept or understand truth. Later, they learned.
Even Protestantism in its early rising couldn't grasp all the truths that for centuries had been trampled in the mud of Papal superstitions and antichrist teachings. Even today, most non-Catholics (I am loathe to call them Protestants....they don't deserve that compliment) have fully come away from Babylon, yet we cannot blame God for not informing them of truth...there are more Bibles in print today than any other book, there is no excuse for ignorance. Yet people who call themselves Bible scholars still cleave to non-Biblical teachings...teachings that had their roots in pagan superstition and borrowed and baptised into Christianity by the early church in order to placate pagan converts. Disingenuous? Never. Wise in dissemination? Always.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about God? Is He disingenuous?

Much love!

No, God is not disingenuous. God never pretends to know less. He knows all.

God's invitation to all is genuine. Any who come will be saved.

Stranger