Do Christians Still Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the Bible talk about pertaining to this subject?

(You can not be perfect - like God - however you can be mature in your faith by abiding in Christ.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Due to the only limited scripture I only see partly, and would like to share to you the reason I believe all people continue to sin, however they may sin less when they are sanctified in Christ Jesus, being completely rooted in him, and abiding in him.

I agree with you, about dying to sin. Paul wrote about it, Colossians 3, Romans 6, and there are some other passages in scripture that deal with us, dying to the flesh. So, do not take what I am saying as though, we are given a license to sin. However, Every single person in this world, still sins, when they engage their flesh, in which is also mentioned in Galatians 5.

The scripture you shared in

1 John 3:9
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

Deals with how people are born again like you had stated, they given a new nature, and are created a new in Christ who makes them new. They will have a new inclination to not go on about their own sinful ways, that they did prior, lets look at what Paul said in Corinthians 6.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

The change is from the former old man, into the new man/woman in Christ.

Paul wrote

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things have become new.

The thing, is. Even with the new nature, our flesh still has problems, and lets look at what Paul said about his problem that he prayed 3 times to be taken away from him, and he himself said his flesh was a slave to sin.

Romans 7:25
Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Paul also wrote in

2 Corinthians 12:8 Three times I prayed to the Lord about this and asked him to take it away. 9 But his answer was: “My grace is all you need, for my power is greatest when you are weak.” I am most happy, then, to be proud of my weaknesses, in order to feel the protection of Christ's power over me. 10 I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and difficulties for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

So what is the point in all of this? When you as a sold out believer in Christ Jesus understand that your sins were paid for on the cross before you were born, you start to have a gratitude for what the Lord had done for you in turn you become born again and changed and you still live in your flesh, and the only way to hold back the flesh to sin, is relying and trusting in Jesus who lives with-in you, by the Spirit of Christ.

Anytime you do anything good for someone, by the Holy Spirit, it is coming from God himself, to do that actions which motivates us to have love for God and love for others because of the love that God had show not only to us, but to the whole world.

James 1:17 Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.

Where does the problem come from when we are motivated to sin? It comes naturally from our fleshly inclinations.

Where is the proof of that?

James 1:13When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone. 14But each one is tempted when by his own evil desires he is lured away and enticed. 15Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Thank you for taking time to read.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the big issue here is people look to laws. and think that is what defines sin.

They look at commands, Say yep, I do not break those. so I am ok.

If people really understand what sin was (by the way, the word translated sin literally means, "miss the mark" ) what is the mark? Be perfect....

Reactions: dev553344

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the Bible talk about pertaining to this subject?

(You can not be perfect - like God - however you can be mature in your faith by abiding in Christ.)
Do you think a believer can reach a state of continual sinlessness and will never sin again on this side of the grave ?

1 John 1:8- 2:2
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the big issue here is people look to laws. and think that is what defines sin.

If people really understand what sin was (by the way, the word translated sin literally means, "miss the mark" ) what is the mark? Be perfect....

1John 3:4 "“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.”

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Heavy isn't it? I understand what you mean though. People make judgement calls based on what someone else did but 'they never would' and probably have somewhere down the line ignorantly had done missed the mark just the same. All of us miss that mark, and it is good thing you bring that up.

Can I ask you what your first steps in the Christian walk was like?

Were you someone who went around judging others and condemning them in your own heart because of say a standard you set for yourself aside from Christ being the Standard and being the one who makes us right with God?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1John 3:4 "“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.”

What law would they be transgressing? Would it be the Law of Christ - if they do not abide in him, and may react in the flesh to some type of incident that occurred?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think a believer can reach a state of continual sinlessness and will never sin again on this side of the grave ?

1 John 1:8- 2:2
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world

Some people do. Do I? Personally not according to that scripture.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have a masochistic streak, I could point you to a couple of threads from people who are convinced that REAL Christians (such as themselves, of course) never sin. Bwahahahahahahaha! (I will attempt to refrain from mentioning the sins of pride and self-righteousness and failure to love your neighbor as yourself. Too late; I've already demonstrated my own pride and self-righteousness, darn it!)

I've also seen posts from people who claim to have "walked in the Spirit" for a period of time, and though I don't have visibility to their full lives, I might believe they have, if only for a while.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone sins. Sin is not being perfect. And the new testament lays down what a person must do to not sin. It mentions them that get cast into the fire for not giving to the poor and such which is above and beyond the ten commandments. The book of Revelation also points out who gets thrown into the lake of fire for sinning.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So can I ask how long you have remained sinless ? a week, month, year, several years ?

Thanks !

I did not claim to have been sinless.

Everyone sins. Sin is not being perfect. And the new testament lays down what a person must do to not sin. It mentions them that get cast into the fire for not giving to the poor and such which is above and beyond the ten commandments. The book of Revelation also points out who gets thrown into the lake of fire for sinning.

When we abide in Christ, he helps us sinless if anything, however all commit sin thank you for commenting and sharing. I believe the lake of fire was made for the Devil and his angels only.

Dumb question. Everyone sins. You cant stop.

Thank you for commenting.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not claim to have been sinless.

When we abide in Christ, he helps us sinless if anything, however all commit sin thank you for commenting and sharing. I believe the lake of fire was made for the Devil and his angels only.

Thank you for commenting.

all of the non-elect will be thrown into the lake of fire also.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all of the non-elect will be thrown into the lake of fire also.
The lake of fire is spelled out in the story of Lazarus and the Rich man for the selfish rich people. But I don't think the non-elect will be thrown in there. Is there some scripture you're referring to?

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The lake of fire is spelled out in the story of Lazarus and the Rich man for the selfish rich people. But I don't think the non-elect will be thrown in there. Is there some scripture you're referring to?

when you die now, you are judged and either goto Heaven or hell. After the war of armageddon, all those in hell and hell itself will be thrown then into the lake of fire. Revelation 21:8 i believe it was.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That was indeed a parable, and I’m not gonna say I understand it completely.

Here is how I view death today @devin553344 in light of the victorious Christ who defeated, Satan and his demons, sin, death, grave/hell.

When people die they are resurrected, judged, and either they go outside of the kingdom (faithless) or inside of the (faithful) kingdom of the heavenly. With a new spiritual body given by God which would be given to the non-believer and the believer. (Revelation 22; 1 Corinthians 15)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here is how I view death today @devin553344 in light of the victorious Christ who defeated, Satan and his demons, sin, death, grave/hell.

When people die they are resurrected, judged, and either they go outside of the kingdom (faithless) or inside of the (faithful) kingdom of the heavenly. With a new spiritual body given by God which would be given to the non-believer and the believer. (Revelation 22; 1 Corinthians 15)
I hope you're right, but the bible seems to give a different picture.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

none of that is correct.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope you're right, but the bible seems to give a different picture.

My encouragement would be to read the last chapter of revelation and read it out loud to yourself.

It is the final picture of the heavenly Jerusalem, I personally believe.

It’s not that I desire to be right, I desire for Gods revelation written by John to be truth and I only have scamp evidence for my belief.

Carry on trusting and relying in our Lord Jesus brother!

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The law doesn't deal with ALL SINS.....

Jesus expanded upon this when He said....

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

The issue with the law, it is was given to control the unrighteous. It never dealt properly with the "heart of men"......

Reactions: MatthewG